Thread: Quiet server?!

Thanks

Question Quiet server?!

Now I know that server's aren't quiet at the best of times but I am assuming it is possible to make one quiet?

I've got my hands on a Compaq Proliant 800 server running at 600mHz, 2 x 18.2gb hdd, 192mb ram. It runs fine but with MS small business server which I will replace with Linux ASAP.

My problem is the noise it makes, it's pretty loud, I guess in it's normal environment there's no problem, but in my house there is! I am assuming if I replace the fans with some quieter ones that would help, anyone got any more bright ideas??

Thanks.

Ben

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    The main contributors to noise would be PSU, HDD's, case fans and HSF. If you can replace the fans with Papst or Panaflo or other quiet fans then that would significantly reduce the noise but will also reduce the airflow and increase heat.

I don't know that server's case, but I'm assuming you won't be able to fit 120mm fans in there? They would reduce noise but not reduce airflow (much).

My CWT PSU copes easily with the power of my rig (maybe not astronomical, but quite powerful still) and it's very very quiet. I can only hear my HSF over it which is reasonably quiet too.

What hard drives are they? Are they loud? Can you sell them and get Samsung Spinpoint's instead? They are some of the quietest drives out there.

Thanks
    I used to run a few servers, I think the main problem your going to find is that all that hmmmmmmmm lise is coming from the probable TWIN power supply units.
    Now you could replace them but they are there for a reason and normally are very high quality, very powerfull and hence make loads of noise.
    I'm not sure if there is a simple solution to this one at all.

Good luck

Righty dokey, matey bloke, flap old salty seadog amigo. Skip jack, jock strap pianotuner. Lets see you balls this one up!

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys.

The fans are for the PSU and case fan, below is a picture of both if it helps.

The HDD are the standard Compaq SCSI ones but the noise I am sure is from the fans.

As you say the fans are there for a reason, they are just too noisy!!

I guess I could replace the larger case fan with a quieter one?? But I think the PSU has to stay (shame!). Are there any other options??

Cheers.

DR
    Thanks
    Why not whack it on ebay and build yourself a nice mini-itx passive solution - I doubt you need that spec for a server

Thanks
    I think you are probably right to put it on eBay, that was my initial thought when I got it, although it would probably involve me spending money that I don't have at the moment.

Not sure what I would get for it?? £150 or less I would expect, not going to give me much to put towards a new one!

Maybe I will just see how long I can put up with it for, I am thinking weeks not months!!

Cheers for the suggestion.

Ben

Thanks
    Chances are you can remove most of the fans because there designed to go into rackmounts and if you've ever put your hand at the top of a rackmount you'll know how hot it can get on a desk then its not nearly as hot!

Although a shuttle might be a better option, I wouldn't bother with a built in CPU board as they aren't very powerful at all and you may want some more oomph depending what the server is used for.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    Yesterday I did unplug the slot fan (positioned at the top of the tower very near the front power switch) as it didn't seem to be doing any good at all. This definitely helped and made a noticeable difference. On the boot though it came up with a warning telling me that the fan wasn't working (How impressive!!), easily rectified I am sure.

I take it I can't really unplug the other main fan as the CPU may overheat?

I have stripped out all the ms sql, exchange server etc. that was on there and am about to put Fedora project on there, see how it works.

It's going to be used as a file server primarily for mp3's etc, so I can play them wirelessly throughout the house!! But will undoubtedly store any other data I have as well to free up some space on my other pc's.

The Shuttle is a consideration, although if I sold the Compaq it won't bring in enough cash to get the kind of spec I am looking for.

Cheers.

Ben

Thanks
    If its on the CPU then yeah - but all PCs (even servers in a desktop environment) can live without case fans!

Also saying you got a ProLiant in your sig sounds cool

Thanks
    It's definitely a case fan, I will try disconnecting it as well, should make it quieter still.

Is there anyway I can still have the case fan connected so it only comes on when the CPU gets hot?? I guess that would be the perfect solution.

Having never been on these forums before I don't know whether you are taking the michael when you say that having a Proliant in your signature sounds cool, but the other computers I have are so old I think it's best I go without a sig!!

Cheers.

Ben

Thanks
    Nah - I was talking to you. TBH I don't know a great deal about servers, although you could just change out all the fans for quieter ones, just keep an eye on the temps.

Thanks
    what size are the fans and do they have model number on there??? finding replacement fans that are a lot quiter sould not be a problem

you should here a new Prolient server now there so quite - NOT!!!!

GJUK

Thread Information