Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle SilentX 250w PSU

Thanks

Shuttle SilentX 250w PSU

I ordered one of these to replace the "clicking" achme psu that came as standard with my SN45G and the blasted thing is even louder, it makes a growling noise everytime the fans speed up or slow down with load, most annoying.

Silent fans my hairy behind.
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    sounds like you've got the spiky end of something there m8. Mine is extremely quiet, as is the one I ordered for Daftpunk, and as it the one vini got for his shuttle today :/

Looks like you might have to contact OcUK about it *snigger* erm no I shouldn't laugh cos they are expensive. good luck with it m8

Thanks
    mines silent, although when i dont have my music blaring out, i can hear it revving like a motorbike, wether that be the ICE fan or PSU i really couldnt say.

Thanks
    thats exactly what mine sounds like, but i swapped out the stock sunon ice fan for a quiet one
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    Where is the cheapest place to get these? and what sort of £ could i get for my Achme PSU?

Also would Shuttle take the SN45 back if i don't have the original Achme PSU but the SilentX one instead?

Thanks
    the 2 cheapest places to get the SilentX PSU atm are tekheads and OcUK which both charge £45 delivered for it. I just sold my achme PSU for £22.50 delivered on another forum so that has covered half the cost of the new PSU and I'm not sure if they would take it back or not, but I'm sure someone would swap their achme for your silentX if you really needed to return it

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    if its that loud then i would think they would as theres obviously a problem with it.

the word silentX is a bit of a trade desciption otherwise.

some parts from Ockuk i have got in the past have arrived and i can tell they have been used/tested. and possibly even sent back by other people

Thanks
    Well it seems to have settled in and you can only hear it when the fan changes speed for a few seconds then it goes quiet again.
    Recycling consultant

wol
    Thanks
    Thats still quite a chunk of money to shell out for what should have been and is now standard!

But anyway, out comes the credit card!

Registered+
    Thanks
    right so is it worth getting one then ? how difficult is changing the fan inside the silent x and the stock psu ? also, where do you get a suitable fan to put in there ?

also, where would i get a quieter fan for the ice cooler ? how hard is that to swap ?
    Shuttle SN45G - Athlon XP 2100+ - Gainward Geforce 4 4600 Golden Sample - 512Mb DDR Crucial PC2100 - 1x Western Digital 250Gb ATA133 - 8x LG Super Multi Writer (DVD-R(W); DVD+R(W); DVD-RAM) - Microsoft Optical Desktop 2.0 - 22" Widescreen TFT

Thanks
    The SilentX is definitely worth getting IMHO. Yes, it's annoying having to pay £40, but if you want peace it's the best way to go about it. And you get an extra 50W into the bargain.

I've just installed two of them in my SB51G's. Both are quiet straight out of the box, so you shouldn't need to change the fans in them (there are two fans in each SilentX PSU). The stock fan's were chosen by Shuttle for their quietness.

I had two Achme 200W PSU's modded for me last year (replacement ADDA fan & voltage). One went pop after only three months, and the other was never as quiet as the SilentX. Shuttle have improved the wiring on the new PSU enormously. It's a snug fit now, but I'm sure it was easier to install & hook up than the old Achme.

In addition, I've swapped my two Noiseblocker ICE fans for an external 120mm->80mm duct adapter and 120mm AcoustiFan (as shown in Gordon Laing's article in April's PCW). Punch the parallel port blank out and feed the wire through to the FAN3 header. Cover up any unused AGP/PCI slot to prevent air leaking out (ideally you want it all coming out of the ventilation holes in the sides).

The AcoustiFans are *very* quiet. Not silent, but peaceful compared to so-called "quiet" 80mm fans. Just make sure you set it to blow IN and not exhaust out, otherwise your temps will go through the roof. My mobo & CPU temps are always around 48/49C now, even running SETI for hours with SpeedFan set to only 3%. (PSU temp is around 42C).

You can get the duct Adaptor (£5), 120mm AcoustiFan (£20) and SilentX (£46) from Kustom PC's. QuietPC sells AcoustiFans for about £17. Overclockers sell Silent X's for £39, but they charge £8.50 delivery. Ordering everything from Kustom instead of three different places will probably save on postage.

wol
    Thanks
    Nice, im off to kustom pc then ...

Thanks
    its suppose to be SILENT, im thinking of using 2 of these in my main rig.
    the difference between the 220w whine $"£$£"$ and this can not be
    described, im speechless. im without speech.

now i gota sort my 9800pro @ 400/400 to quieten that!

Thanks
    Yep - just got one and they are really good - I can still hear mine but the difference in temps and the extra 50W make it worthwile for me. I must admit I was a bit sceptical when I first saw them but I was and am impressed - knocked a full 20C off my old psu temps!

wol
    Thanks
    Wow! Which sensor is the PSU temp sensor?

Going to install mine tonight

Thanks
    I'm using Hardware Sensors Monitor Pro and PSU is (i think!!) PWM=sensor 3 - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information