• Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408 Ultrasharp

Overclocking e4300 with ASUS P5Q-VM

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, so my apologies if I do not cut the mustard with all the psoting rules and regs.

Anyway keeping it short, I am currently upgrading my computer entirely with a few pieces left over.

Current Specs:

Case: Antec Mini P180 (new)

CPU: e4300 (to be upgraded in the very near future for a Quad Core) buying an Arctic Freezer Pro 7.

Mobo: ASUS P5Q-VM (new)

PSU: Trust 500w (to be replaced)

GPU: Geforce FX 5900XT (old card, to be replaced soon)

RAM: Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty
    or Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 DHX Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) Lifetime Warranty

Monitor: Dell 2408

Money is quite tight, and so I am trying to build with a bit of futureproofing. I dont game at all really, the odd rFactor and modding of games. I use 3DS Max/Vectorworks/Autocad and Photoshop. I do LOTS of multitasking, and rarely have fewer than 10 windows open at once. (Oops!). Thus, an intense graphics card isnt on my list of priorities right now - perhaps after christmas in the sales I will get one.

What I would like help with is speccing up a decent enough mATX board for overclocking.

I currently have the e4300 that I would like to overclock, until I buy a quad core.

However, it doesnt have to be a mATX system - I just like the p180 mini a lot. I could go for the p180 standard ATX case if you think it would be better. It might get me a lower priced mobo too.

But for now, unless a clear reason why not, I would appreciate advice and support regarding the new ASUS P5Q-VM iG45 board with the e4300 and overclocking it. Is this a good board for it (I know it is new, sorry)?. I wanted the G45 chipset for the onboard graphics should I not use 3ds max as much, and when I do I will plonk a card in there.

Or is there a cheaper board that will still be useful when I upgrade to a quad and overclock that?

Also, and sorry this is long - are there any alternatives to the ram I have suggested for myself?

Many thanks in advance, I will be back later as I thnik I have typed this all over the place. I need food! Haha! Thanks!

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Re: Overclocking e4300 with ASUS P5Q-VM

First up welcome and this is the right place to post

We will all help as much as we can

The G45 boards are quite expensive if you wanted to stay on the P45 or G45 chipsets then you would probably get more for your money on the P45, however if you really like the P180 mini then if you get it from eBuyer for £60 (for a limited time) http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140996 you will not find the P182 for less than £85 unless you are prepared to get one with a decal on http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=716008 so if you are spending £25 less on the case it probably isn't really an issue if you need to spend a couple of pounds more on the motherboard.

You know you need to replace your PSU depending on what graphics card you decide to get in the end will dictate what you need here, if you are going to be looking at a high end gaming card then look at the Corsair HX520W (modular) or VX550W (non-modular) if you are not planning on getting a high power graphics card then the Corsair VX450W (non-modular) will be ample if you fancy a modular supply but not as much power/cost as the Corsair 520W then the 425W Modu82+ from Enermax would be good.

Memory wise don't worry about the DHX coolers the cheaper stuff will do you just fine.

CPU cooler personally I wouldnt be getting the Freezer 7, look for the Xigmatek S1283 much better performance and quieter, if you fancy spending a bit more then the Scythe Ninja 2 would be a great choice.

Right with those other points out of the way back to motherboards, first no Intel based integrated graphics processor (IGP) is up to playing games (the 780G and 790GX from AMD are just about capable at low res and detail), if you want to playback high def content then the G45 is your best bet if you don't then the G33/G35/Q35 will all be fine. So basically what I'm saying is that if you want to play games get a graphics card if you don't want to do any 3D work then the G33 etc will be good and if HD content is on your wish list then the G45 will be better.

So on to boards which will be good overclockers I have little knowledge of the G45 boards however the in the G33 the Gigabyte G33m-DS2R is a great overclocker (mine will run at a stable FSB of 532MHz running my E6550), the Asus G35 board is also well regarded.

In the G45 the gigabyte boards only offer a x4 PCIe for graphics cards so not really that good I would not consider these boards if you are considering getting a discrete graphics card, the Asus G45 has a full x16 slot so that is not an issue there.

My personal preferance would be the G33m-DS2R (as I know all about it ) it is also £20 cheaper than the ASUS G45 and that £20 could buy you 2/3's of an ATi 4550 (when it becomes available which should be soon) and it will do everything the G45 can in terms of HD playback and 3D rendering but about 100X better

Registered+
    Thanks
    • danm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMI
      • CPU:
      • E4300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Geforce 9600 GSO XXX Edition
      • PSU:
      • Trust 500W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408 Ultrasharp

Hey there!

Thanks for the tips and advice - I have been slightly naughty and made an order on ebuyer for the following:

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI iG35 (power hungry but good overclocking abilities from other reviews swayed me)
    Antec P180 Mini (which I was waiting to drop slightly, good timing!)
    and after reading reviews and having used previous XXX cards...

Geforce XFX 9600GSO XXX Edition

There was only a few pounds difference from the Gigabyte you suggested, but I had been looking at the P5E-VM HDMI for a few weeks now, it just seemed to offer more bang for the buck as they say.

Still need to order a psu and cpu heatsink, which I will most likely do in a few more days time.

I do like the feedback on the Scythe (and also the special edition all copper ninja 2!) but at £46 it seems a lot when others are saying that the arctic freezer or zalman 9500/9700 do the same.

Time to research my heatsinks now I think!

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Well the Zalman and Arctc freezer may do the same (though I doubt it) and if they did the fans would be spinning so fast you would thin a tornado was starting in your case!

If budget is a real concern then the Xigmatek S1283 is priced ~£22 (often on Scan Today only for as little as £15) and is a better cooler than the Freezer and significantly quieter, the next step up performance wise is the Scythe Ninja 2 (£30) may as well be silent and an excellent cooler and the Thermalright Ultima 90 (£24 + Fan) you will need to get a separate fan for this but it allows you to tailor your cooling level to your sound level though a 1200rpm 120mm fan will be near enough silent and provide excellent cooling.

PSU wise you are not going to need anything more than 400W so if you fancy a modular design do get rid of unneeded cables then the 425W Enermax Modu82+ will fit the bill nicely costs about £58 the next step up power wise would be the Corsair HX520w at £68, if you don't want modular cables then the Corsair VX450w is probably the best bet £47.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • danm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMI
      • CPU:
      • E4300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Trust 500W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408 Ultrasharp

thankyou for all the help - my parts came via ebuyer 5 day super saver, arrived all in under 23 hours haha! what a deal!

the board works liek a treat, with the ram, no problems whatsoever despite the dodgy reviews elsewhere on stability issues.

time to replace my e4300 now with a quad. gotta sell that and my old asrock 4core board - gonna be difficult!

btw i got the ninja II heatsink and it only just fits in the p180 mini case lol - ITS FRIGGEN HUGE!!!!

working with just the case fan at the back and the top, cool as ice, so my pc case is literally silent!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • danm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMI
      • CPU:
      • E4300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Trust 500W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408 Ultrasharp

(oh, and might i add to that, it is near impossible to fit the 120mm scythe fan to the heatsink as not only does this board have an awkwardly placed northbridge cooler, but also the ram is in the way.

luckily the rear case fan sits pretty much liek an extract, so does the same job at sucking the air out as it sits a few mm from the heatsink - and the top fan sucks it through the 200mm fan upwards.

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Glad to hear it all went well If your temps are good no need for another fan just keep an eye on the temps as we move back around into summer again (like we had one this year ) especially if you make the jump to the quad.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • danm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMI
      • CPU:
      • E4300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Trust 500W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408 Ultrasharp

yes, thankyou! i will keep that in mine when i move ot the quad - ill start monitoring temps.

luckily, in some way, i sit next to the house boiler, which spills lots of heat. it doesnt seem to affect th ecomputer yet, and my room is quite warm - like a warm summers day.

nonetheless, ill start monitoring the temps.

Thread Information