Thread: 2.8MO@4201mhz.P4C800E @300.1fsb maxxed?Weird?

Registered+
    Thanks

Arrow 2.8MO@4201mhz.P4C800E @300.1fsb maxxed?Weird?

I started playing a bit with clockgen in order to see how my replacement board does and i was able to get 4201mhz this time from my Costa Rica 2.8Mo cpu that did 4176mhz last time on the dead board...

upping the vcore @ 1.725 didnt get me as high as 295fsb IIRC...The pc rebooted...

@ 1.75Vcore i was able to get the same clock..300fsb...it rebooted nearly instantly.

so i pushed the same voltage as with my old board...1.85V...i got the same clock 4201Mhz and then the pc froze...

My board is the P4C800E Deluxe with a Vdimm mod @ 3.35V.It was running @ 300.1fsb according to clockgen.

Is my board holding me back or is it the cpu itself?

+.1VCore got me nowhere higher :

The board is the new revision 2 and i have no heatsinks stuck on The mosfets or the southbridge like last time and even more important what i am cooling the NB with is the stock asus heatsink with a fan running quite low rpm on top of it, whereas last time i was Watercooling the NB with a waterchill NB block.

Heres the cpuid screen i got using my digi cam...since my rig froze...

heres what the setup looks like this time:

So does it look like my board is holding me back?

My ram can do 255fsb 1:1 set @ 2 2 2 5
    Turbo , perf mode enabled etc.

chipset volt set @ 1.7V

Registered+
    Thanks
    Will prolly try unlocking my agp and pci to see if that will take me higher when i got time...

Thanks
    It could be that the as the AGP/PCI are not locked they are getting knackered that could cause the rebooting/crashing. However i would say that it is the CPU that is limting you. 1.2ghz overclock is very impressive.

What happens if you slacken your RAM timings? as that maybe causing the rebooting.....

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Registered+
    Thanks
    Prolly u dont know that on intel chipsets you CAN LOCK the agp and pci speeds mate.

Something you cand do on amd platforms...till the new boards come out with NF3...

Both my agp and pci were locked but i will unlock them prolly to see if that can take me higher.

1400mhz of overclock is quite good i can say from the 2.8M0 but u know you can never have enough

Registered+
    Thanks
    oh forgot.

My ram can do 255fsb @ 2 2 2 5! @ 3.3+V so that wasnt the problem there .I was running my ram @ 3/2 IIRC for the tests...

Thanks
    How hot is the NB getting then? TBH surprised you're getting that far with just a 40mm fan on it Still, I don't have experience with phase change but that can't be normal!

CAS2.0 PC4000? What is that?! Looks like OCZ Dual Channel Gold, right? I've got some of that - will have to see if I get anything like that out of mine (in a P4P800) Must get toasty warm at 3.3v! How high will it go at up to 3.0?? Do you run it for long periods at that spec?

BTW, how noisy is the vapo (or is that a prommy)?

sorry for the barrage of Qs

Thanks
    Arrg...meant they were locked. and no i dont know that much about intel boards...as i have AMD hehe

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Registered+
    Thanks
    In fact the NB isnt even warm to the touch with tha 50mm ys tech i am cooling it with...it is not even running @ max rpm...a lot lower so that its not noisy.

On the other hand though Canterwood and Springdale chipsets DONT NEED ACTIVE NB cooling at all...expecially arround 300fsb...prolly a lot higher like 320-400fsb you need some good cooling from what i have seen by the WR holder hipro5 from greece...

My ram is BH5 based OCZ LE 3500 1gb kit which has maxxed @ 255fsb @ 2 2 2 5 turbo, enabled etc without active cooling.They are great sticks and yeah they do run how @ 3.35V when under load ....They aint the gold PC 4* overrated jokes they are selling @ such extreme prices...

I used to run them 24/7 @ 3.35V mate...no cooling no probs at all...since i aint running 255fsb now but lower due to the 5/4 i am pushing 3.15V through my sticks...

I am using a Mach 2 to cool my cpu down yes .

Anything you wanna ask go ahead mate

Registered+
    Thanks
    Np matey...i guessed so

the NF 3 though is looking good with its locked AGP+PCI...

Thanks
    cheers for the info m8

One of my boxes is a P4B i850E and that NB is a scorcher - got a 3.06 @ 3.3. Will go higher but gets unstable - it's already running just under 60oC and I put a 40mm on the passive NB...

Was thinking of water cooling it, as the noise is getting my goat now... but might flog mb/cpu/ram and get a P4C800-E instead.

Did you ever test your 2.8 on air? I've got one in a P4P800 and can't get it real stable above 3.45Ghz. Mem not holding back (tried upping fsb at 5:4 and 3:2 but no joy) so must be board or CPU - no idea what stepping it is.

Thinking of getting a 3.2 - how high d'ya think this'd go on air? Would it get much higher on water?

Thanks
    theres the 300Mhz FSB wall. Think its something in the chipset by Intel on purpose to stop OC'ing at 300. As for the chip, you probably just hit the limit. You cant just expect super high clocks just b/c you got it cool. If so why dont you just OC a P3 to 3Ghz while you're at it. Have you tried a Prescott chip yet. I know they run hotter, but those who have been able to control the heat have gotten nice clocks on them.

Just wait until LGA775 comes out, I bet they have some tricks with the power distribution which will help you OC those puppies higher.

Thread Information