• Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

Low coolant?

Hi All

I am not sure if this is in the correct section so I will start with a sorry.

I am running a water system on my Q6600 and I have noticed that the level in my swiftech micro res has been dropping. I topped it up about a month ago after I first set the system up (thought it maybe initial expansion, evaporation and air bubbles). The system runs great and keeps everything cool. Its just I am concerned that there is something not quite right. I am using fezzer one as a coolant.

Thanks in advance for the help.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Low coolant?

Is the loop open? ie the fill port lid is off or something? I was going to say if it was water you were using it would evaporate, but you're not. I used Feser One too for quite some time and I never noticed mine going down. Could it be hidden/trapped air has made it's way out and therefore your coolant has occupied it's space making it look like you've lost coolant? Moved or turned your case at all?

Thanks
    • Main's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock 939 Dual sata-2
      • CPU:
      • A64 X2 4200 @ 2.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair XMS DDR400 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • Various discs all over the place
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoHE 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W
      • Internet:
      • BT "up to 8mbit" @ ~7mbit

This is normal for liquid cooling (assuming you have no leaks!), you should keep an eye on your coolant level - check something like once a month - and keep an amount of coolant spare to top it up the system as and when you need to.

How regularly you have to do this will vary from loop to loop, as it will depend on operating temperature, quality of seals, amount of use, etc.

It comes down to the coolant being heated enough to increase the vapour pressure in the reservoir by just enough to force out a small amount of vapourised coolant, due to the difference in pressure with the atmosphere, which over time means enough is released to impact the loop volume. If your reservoir cap isn't on properly the effect will be accelerated, and you will lose water much quicker - water doesn't need to be at 100 degrees to boil.

The alternative is that this is air you didn't manage to bleed properly during the initial setup, and you haven't actually lost much coolant.

Thanks
    • piggin23's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage IV
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930 @ 5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C9 2133MHz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 680 GTX's in Sli
      • PSU:
      • 1200W Corsair
      • Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

Thanks for the quick reply but I went to bed.
    I also thought it could be turning into vapour as there are droplets on the side of the swiftech micro res above the fluid level but this can not escape the loop as the res has a screw down top with 'o' ring. As for air in the loop I can not see any but the radiator is the highest point so it is possible for air to be making its way out. The thing is my system is on 24/7 and has now been water cooled for the last 4-5 months. So would there still be air in the system?

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piggin23 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply but I went to bed.
    I also thought it could be turning into vapour as there are droplets on the side of the swiftech micro res above the fluid level but this can not escape the loop as the res has a screw down top with 'o' ring. As for air in the loop I can not see any but the radiator is the highest point so it is possible for air to be making its way out. The thing is my system is on 24/7 and has now been water cooled for the last 4-5 months. So would there still be air in the system?
    If the radiator is the highest point in the system there still may be air. You should try and have the res higher or bring the radiator lower so the air can make it's way up and out. I thought mine never had air until I held my system and turned it about and heard the gluggin noise of more coolant filling the rad as the air escaped. So probably you've just had some more gaps fill up in your loop so maybe you've nothing to worry about. Keep checking on the level and see if it keeps going down. It might do if more air is being pushed out of hidden areas or it might just stay at that level if it's all gone.

Thread Information