Thread: Silencing an already quiet system?

Registered+
    Thanks

Silencing an already quiet system?

I'm very happy with both systems in that they're fault free and run cool. I'd like the HTPC to be a little quieter.
    My current two systems are:

HTPC
    • NSK2400 with factory fitted PSU
    • GA-G33M-DS2R
    • E4300 Ninja Mini running passively
    • 2400Pro Passive
    • Samsung 500GB Spinpoint
    • Two antec tri-cool on low setting

'Every day' PC
    • CoolerMaster Elite 330 Mid Tower with Corsair 450VX
    • GA-P35-DS3L
    • E2160 Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    • 7900GS with passive Accelero S2 VGA cooler
    • WD2500AAKS 250GB HD
    • Two YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12 running at 7V

I was thinking of replacing the PSU in the HTPC with a seasonic S12-330 as it only consumes around 110W under full load. I'm also looking at replacing the tri fans with two yate loons run at either 5v (using this) or using a fanmate. I'm just worried that running at such low speeds their CFM wont be enough to keep the ninja cool.

How many fans can you run off a single fanmate? I've also ordered this. Will this all work ok with two yate loons?

For the 'every day' pc I was thinking about purchasing an Antec Sonata case. The only real sound coming from the case are the yate loons airflow and the seek of the hard drive.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right without having to reassemble both PCs time and time again

Thanks
    • crazyfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 6400 2 x 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2232BW

Re: Silencing an already quiet system?

the psu in your htpc should be pretty quiet already... in my antec 350 case i found the fans on low to be rather noisy still so i went a bit crazy and ordered the noctua ones... expensive but very quiet... looking at you system though it would seem you wouldn't need alot of airflow with most things running passive so you could run what ever fans you get on their lowest settings... for 120mm fans though the scythe kaze ones are extremely quiet... i have them in my main rig and on full constantly and they are really quiet... and only about 7 quid

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonye View Post
    How many fans can you run off a single fanmate? I've also ordered this. Will this all work ok with two yate loons?
    The spec page on Scan says it will support up to 6W or lower. That YL at 12V uses 0.3A which works out to be 3.6W so 2 at 12V might bust it but if you're using it at 7V then it'll use 2.1W so 2 would be okay. (Correct me someone if my calculations are wrong!)

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

For your HTPC a quieter PSU and maybe a hard drive silencer would be good options, for case fans you could get a couple of low speed scythe slipstreams very good as case fans (not so good on CPU heatsinks) or maybe give these a try http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=827 £3 each with fluid dynamic bearings gotta be worth a try

As to answer a couple of other questions yes you can run 2 fans on the Y cable they will receive the same voltage if you connect it to the fan mate just be sure that it can take the required current it says 6W which is 0.5A @ 12v I guess the question really is can it handle 6W or 0.5A either way with 2 fans you should be all right. If the fanmate will work I would go with that over a direct 5v connection that way you can increase the fan speed until you can hear them then turn it down a little knowing you have the best balance of airflow to noise.

For your main PC the Sonata III comes with a PSU which makes it a bit expensive if your not going to use the PSU (you could get a P182 for the same money), you can try the Solo instead though ~£55 still designed for quiet, has 2x 92mm fan bays in the front rather than 1x 120mm but you don't have to fill them If you do then the 92mm Akasa Ambers are very quiet (at least mine are). Oh and a hard drive silencer again to damp down that seek noise.

Registered+
    Thanks

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, recommendations and info!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool View Post
    the psu in your htpc should be pretty quiet already... in my antec 350 case i found the fans on low to be rather noisy still so i went a bit crazy and ordered the noctua ones... expensive but very quiet... looking at you system though it would seem you wouldn't need alot of airflow with most things running passive so you could run what ever fans you get on their lowest settings... for 120mm fans though the scythe kaze ones are extremely quiet... i have them in my main rig and on full constantly and they are really quiet... and only about 7 quid
    The PSU, I would say, is the noisiest component left in the case. It just seems to have a constant high pitched whine to it.

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    The spec page on Scan says it will support up to 6W or lower. That YL at 12V uses 0.3A which works out to be 3.6W so 2 at 12V might bust it but if you're using it at 7V then it'll use 2.1W so 2 would be okay. (Correct me someone if my calculations are wrong!)
    Thanks. I'll try it on the lowest setting and work my way up. Don't think I'll go beyond 7v as they're pretty loud above this point, so I know where my limit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    For your HTPC a quieter PSU and maybe a hard drive silencer would be good options, for case fans you could get a couple of low speed scythe slipstreams very good as case fans (not so good on CPU heatsinks) or maybe give these a try http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...roducts_id=827 £3 each with fluid dynamic bearings gotta be worth a try

As to answer a couple of other questions yes you can run 2 fans on the Y cable they will receive the same voltage if you connect it to the fan mate just be sure that it can take the required current it says 6W which is 0.5A @ 12v I guess the question really is can it handle 6W or 0.5A either way with 2 fans you should be all right. If the fanmate will work I would go with that over a direct 5v connection that way you can increase the fan speed until you can hear them then turn it down a little knowing you have the best balance of airflow to noise.

For your main PC the Sonata III comes with a PSU which makes it a bit expensive if your not going to use the PSU (you could get a P182 for the same money), you can try the Solo instead though ~£55 still designed for quiet, has 2x 92mm fan bays in the front rather than 1x 120mm but you don't have to fill them If you do then the 92mm Akasa Ambers are very quiet (at least mine are). Oh and a hard drive silencer again to damp down that seek noise.
    Another question..Why does the fanmate use the motherboard connection rather than using a molex from the PSU? Will I have to adjust the header settings (pwm, voltage etc) or is that only controlled if the yellow sensor wire is used on the fanmate? Will give this all a go tomorrow.

In regards to the Sonata I could always use the PSU in the everyday PC and then stick the corsair in the HTPC?

Thanks again

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

The fan mate uses a 3 pin connector so that it can monitor the rpm. If you connect it to a fan header on the motherboard this will provide a constant 12v (if it is 3 pin it will not have PWM control) which will then be controlled by the fan mate.

Sounds like a plan with the Sonata case and PSU situation, good idea!

Banned
    Thanks

I always buy Noctua fans. Can't hear them at all. Corsair make some nice and quiet PSU's. I have a Coolermaster 330 case and it is really good at keeping things cool.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong but reduceing the volts does not mean the amp will remain the same.
    Must admit I don't know the full effect on the amp/watt when you change the voltage of a fan
    However to do the 7volt trick you have to use a 4pin molex connector and swap the earth (black) with the +5 volt line (red)
    And to use a fan controller you have to connect the fan via the 3pin fan cable anyway so you couldn't volt mod them anyway.

Your best bet to slow the fans is two fanmates (one for each fan) or thoes short extention cables with a resistor on them or better still spend the money on a couple of better slower rpm fans.

For some more indepth info on slient fans
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page6.html
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article739-page6.html

Actually that Zalman splitter you first posted seems a pritty good idea http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=321727 but if you're haveing issues with tri-cools at there lowest then I'd suspect bareing damage or wear may be your problem.

You may want to seriously consider the Noctua NF-S12-800 (the 800rpm version)
    Last edited by Pob255; 07-11-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.

My PC has a Seasonic S-12 330W PSU; it idles at about 45W and gets to about 110W on (rarely) full load.
    I've never heard the PSU fan - even if I turn the CPU fan to min. and put my ear against the PSU I can't hear it!
    Looking at tests, most PSUs run at 80&#37;+ efficiency between 20%-80% load, so mine is <20%; the Seasonic drops off less steeply below 20%, so if we assume 80% efficiency at 45W input, the system is running at 36W at idle - been OK for 18 months now.
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Thread Information