Thread: HELP Stuttering/Freezin PC

Registered+
    Thanks

HELP Stuttering/Freezin PC

HELP
    Just transfered my MSI845PEfsir/2.66/512Mb/2*WD120mb-Raid0/MSI5600Vid/SonyCDRW/Modem/WinXPpro into a new Antec Sonata case (very nice).

Been havin lots of problems with short freezes (the screen just freezes then continues after a second or so often in mid mouse movement). This was occuring before the move but was blaming the mouse. Also total lock after a couple of minutes or running somthing like scan disk.
    Decided to reinstall XP-pro. Finished up re-partitiong and reformatting the drive but just the same.
    Had to use the Quick format option as PC wouldent run long enough during a normalformat.

I have 3 suspects
    1 - The Antec 380W PSU - all the voltages show OK. Surley 380W is enough for my setup.
    2. The Memory - Surley this would cause a total crash rather than a freeze.
    3. The HArd Drive array - My main suspect - as PC runs OK on light load say surfing the net but satrts to stutter if somethin like checkdisk it run.

How can i tell which drive is playing up in a raid 0. If I could run somethin like scandisk on each drive this may show what causes the lock ups.

Anyone help or suggest any other cause to this frustrating proplem _ I wish it would either work or Die.

Thanks in advance
    Kev
    Yorks UK

Thanks
    You can test memory with memtest

http://www.memtest86.com

if memory serves. But then again your PC might freeze, so you might want to put in someone else's PC if you can, then run memtest with all your RAM in their PC.

Hope this helps

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Registered+
    Thanks

Help stuttering pc

Hi
    Tried all connections, Diff Parralel IDE leads, cleaned CPU fan etc with no sucess. The PC was stuttering a bit but never froze completly before I moved it to the new case but at the time I thought it was just the mouse sticking.

I still think its the Raid 0 drives but which one dont know how to check.

Today im going to verify the mem and try a different PSU

Never had a PC stutter like this before - wish it would either stop or go.

Kev

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi again

Memory tested OK with memtest.

Changed ANTEC 380W true Power for an old 300W DEER one I had in stoch and all now seems OK.

As all voltages were OK with Antec does anyone know why the larger more expensive PSU was causing problems? very puzzling?

Anyone any ideas - is there an issue with Antec PSUs and some MSI boads

Kev

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi
    thaks for sugestions.

Just to let u know that problem was solved by replacing the Antec 380W PSU with a Q-Technology (NOT Q-Tech-diff firm) 350W one.
    PC working mch better - no stuttering - no crashes CPU identifed correctly etc

If anyone has any idea why Ill be interested to know

Kev

Thread Information