Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia future bleak?

Thanks

Nvidia future bleak?

I am just wondering what the future for Nvidia is going to be, they seem to only be able to try and retaliate to ATI's 48XX series of cards by releasing slightly updated versions of old chips.

The 280 is currently their flag ship card and is the fastest single gpu card on the market, however it is clearly beaten by the 4870x2. You can pick up a cheap 280 for around £300 while the 4870x2 is priced around £350 so a direct comparison can not really be made, however the 4850x2 is just around the corner will also beat the 280 will come with 2 gig of ram and should be around £220-240. Which will leave Nividia flag ship card not only slower but also way more expensive.
    Nivida are aslo at the moment beaten in every other price bracket to power ration all the way down their range 260 vs 4870, 4850 vs 9800GTX+ and it goes on down the list.

All we has seen is price cuts from Nvidia and a increase in cores on the 260 range, yet to me at least all these counters have fallen short of bringing Nvidia's range of products to be competitive with ATI.

So has Nvidia had its day now or what and when do you think they will be able to make a credible retaliation to Ati?

Jay
    Thanks

Re: Nvidia future bleak?

The same was really true of ATI last year, this is how it goes. It swings from one to the other.
    □ΞVΞ□

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • 650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Wasn't everyone saying the same thing about ATI back when the 8800GT and 8800GTX ruled the roost? I'm sure Nvidia will come back with something, it's just that it's currently ATI's turn to shine.

You know, thinking about it, I sometimes suspect company's that compete in the same marketplace with the same product (though maybe doing things in a different way to achieve the same result) work it this way. Think Canon & Nikon, Nvidia & ATI, Intel & AMD etc etc

It's not really in eithers interest to both have a product out at the same time that is exactly the same in real world performance. It's better for both (long-term) to take it in turns to dominate. Of course, it's most likely just the way R & D works though, rather than a big fat corporate conspiracy Bit like an arms race really...

Just means we all end up switching every few months to get the latest and greatest! good for the economy in'it

Thanks

Everything you have said in that post is talking about high end cards, which make up a tiny percentage of the market.

The fastest card out is really irrelevant in terms of revenue to either ATi or nVidia. The money is in low / mid and OEM ranges.

by releasing slightly updated versions of old chips.
    Which is the smart thing to do. If you have a chip that can be modified to make it faster it makes sense.
    Almost no R&D cost to it, production lines are already in place, in some cases PCB's don't need to be changed either. The number of people that actually care what is in their PC is so small it's not even worth considering. To almost everyone, raw speed is the important part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

While it maybe a smart move to update your current graphics chip if it results in a card that counters its oposition, this is clearly not the case with the 260 though at least at the moment. It resulted in a card thats more expensive and still carries the same name as its older tech resulting in confusion for the customers.
    The new 260 is currently around the prices that the 4850x2 will be and that means that its going to be totally outclassed soon. So really this move by Nvidia is totally mute.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cichlidash View Post
    While it maybe a smart move to update your current graphics chip if it results in a card that counters its oposition, this is clearly not the case with the 260 though at least at the moment. It resulted in a card thats more expensive and still carries the same name as its older tech resulting in confusion for the customers.
    And how does any of this equate to a bleak future for nVidia?

The new 260 is currently around the prices that the 4850x2 will be and that means that its going to be totally outclassed soon. So really this move by Nvidia is totally mute.
    And you think nVidia will just sit on their hands?

The 'tooing and frowing' happens between a huge number of company's in the computer industry. I can't see any point you're brining up that shows that the current situation is anything different.

Thanks
    • Will404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5Q PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core2quad Q6600 @2.85GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsoar Twin X XMS2 DDR2-PC2 6400 @ 900MHz, 5-5-5-18
      • Storage:
      • WD 320GB, Segate 320GB (Raid 0), 2* WD 1TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Sapphire HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsoar HX 520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u 22"

What about a 280X2 , 4 of them would give you 8 GPU's

Thanks
    • AdamAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-EP45-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400 Stock cooler + speeds
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 2x2gb
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracude S-ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VX2240 Viewsoic 22"
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Virgin Media

Just because nvidia are 'mute' is more likely to mean they are working hard behind the scenes. ATI have produced a card which can rival, and win, against nvidia. They are going to be working their asses off to produce a card that will wipe the floor with them. They got complacent with the 8800's, which is arguably why the 9 series were a bit naff, they didn't need to make them super because there was nothing to rival it.
    Of course, ATI are probably working on a supercard to compete with nvidias super card.

If you also look at the amount of sponsoring that nvidia gets, and the amount of support it gets - It's not exactly on it's last legs. They probably have loads of money to pile into research and new cards.

ATI might also be caught up with keeping everything running because of the huge success. It's given nvidia a break to work behind the scenes. ATI will be expected to maintain the level of quality and performance they have given.

Thanks

Agent I take it then that you think that releasing two products with the same name, like they have done is a good move by Nvidia? Also the only real counter in terms of hardware they have produced the 260 (216 core) and the 9800GTX+ are not capable or will not be capable of competing with AtI line up does not mean that Nvidia are going to have a bit of a nightmare currently going on? If the 4850x2 does perform as most people predict then their will be no reason to currently buy a Nvidia card over an ATI at any level in the market. Now to me that is not a good situation to for Nvidia to be in.

AdamAnubis I am sure that Nvidia have a lot of money to put into research but leading graphics card companies have fallen fairly quickly in the past and gone bankrupt, just look to the likes of Voodoo for example. Also the current financial situation is going to hit every company hard.

Not that I would like anything to happen to Nvidia I still run a Nvidia card myself and have never had an issue with it.

A 280x2 would be an amazing card if they actually existed, however they do not also I would imagine the price of a 280x2 would be way above anything else on the market if they was ever produced, making them only really available too an elite sector with way too much money to spend on a graphics card. Still such people will exist but again given the way the economy is at the moment I would not see a 280x2 selling enough to really be called a company saviour.

What Nvidia really need is a new product that can offer some sort of rivalry to Ati and I have yet to hear even a whisper of anything of the such.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Agent I take it then that you think that releasing two products with the same name, like they have done is a good move by Nvidia? Also the only real counter in terms of hardware they have produced the 260 (216 core) and the 9800GTX+ are not capable or will not be capable of competing with AtI line up does not mean that Nvidia are going to have a bit of a nightmare currently going on? If the 4850x2 does perform as most people predict then their will be no reason to currently buy a Nvidia card over an ATI at any level in the market. Now to me that is not a good situation to for Nvidia to be in.

AdamAnubis I am sure that Nvidia have a lot of money to put into research but leading graphics card companies have fallen fairly quickly in the past and gone bankrupt, just look to the likes of Voodoo for example. Also the current financial situation is going to hit every company hard.

Not that I would like anything to happen to Nvidia I still run a Nvidia card myself and have never had an issue with it.

A 280x2 would be an amazing card if they actually existed, however they do not also I would imagine the price of a 280x2 would be way above anything else on the market if they was ever produced, making them only really available too an elite sector with way too much money to spend on a graphics card. Still such people will exist but again given the way the economy is at the moment I would not see a 280x2 selling enough to really be called a company saviour.

What Nvidia really need is a new product that can offer some sort of rivalry to Ati and I have yet to hear even a whisper of anything of the such.

The thing is Ati ARE not that great, they are good as are the nvidia cards the only thing special is that it is a shock ati got bk on level. The 4870 and gtx 260(original version) are roughly the same price(gtx cheaper iirc) and offer similar performance and so its a matter of, power and heat along with driver support which both fail in but windows is ok. Ati cards use more on idle than the counter part but less on load so if its just for gaming(alot) then you would go with the ati card but if its for casual gaming the gtx260 wins right?.

R+D takes its time so you cant say nvidia are dead in the future as you could say that about any company e.g Intel, could the i7 be their last cpu? maybe but unlikely so its the same concept apart from Intel is competing with itself(hence why its still on top) but nvidia sat on their asses and tried to milk the tech which is FINE because they deserve to just like when ATI was on top and thats how they lost it by not keeping up(i think xD).

Electronics/computing is a VERY unsteady market as new tech is around the corner all the time and not all of it gets leak so who knows ATI and NVIDIA might have suprt cards coming out tomorrow but you dont know.

The future isnt bleak, id expect AMD to be more bleak since they have been making HUGE losses for ages(i hope they get bk) so they made less loss this time but is it enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    The future isnt bleak, id expect AMD to be more bleak since they have been making HUGE losses for ages(i hope they get bk) so they made less loss this time but is it enough?
    Nvidia will have a trick up their sleeve in the gtx 380 when it comes out. Its always the way. And I also think AMD are more in the poo than Nvidia are, look at the recent manufacturing spinoffs done by amd to save on costs.

Thanks
    • AdamAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-EP45-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400 Stock cooler + speeds
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 2x2gb
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracude S-ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VX2240 Viewsoic 22"
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Virgin Media

I understand this, I guess what I was trying to say is nvidia have got further to fall. They have a buffer zone of money before things get critical, where AMD may not have. It will just hit some companies harder than others, and nvidia seem to have the sponsoring and such like to be more stable and take more hits before they 'go under'.

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

Dont forget aswell that nvidia has the quadro series keeping them afloat

Thanks

The 4870 is a fair bit cheaper than the 260 both the old and new version as you can get the 4870 for about £168 where as the old 260 seem to be around £200 at the moment and the newer version is around £207-230 mark a fairly big difference in price.
    Performance wise it does seem the 4870 is between the old and new version of the 260 and most people buying this level of card I would imagine are looking for a gaming card as their is a lot of lesser cards on both sides that will totally suit a casual gamer. The thing is with the 4850x2 due out soon the and hopefully around the newer 260 price range but with more speed than a 280 then Nvidia really wont have much to compete with. I hope that it results in a massive cut in 280's and 260's again both are very good cards, I certainly would not mind either if the price was right.

Thanks

Agent I take it then that you think that releasing two products with the same name, like they have done is a good move by Nvidia?
    Not at all. In fact I was complaining about it in the news thread if you have a search
    But again, I simply can't see how this can be used as evidence for nvidia having a bleak future?

Also the only real counter in terms of hardware they have produced the 260 (216 core) and the 9800GTX+ are not capable or will not be capable of competing with AtI line up does not mean that Nvidia are going to have a bit of a nightmare currently going on? If the 4850x2 does perform as most people predict then their will be no reason to currently buy a Nvidia card over an ATI at any level in the market. Now to me that is not a good situation to for Nvidia to be in.
    As above, who is in the 'lead' swaps all the time. nVidia have been around for a long time, and there would be major ripples in the industry if something was going to happen to them soon.
    With most of the money being in low end hardware and midrange... is the future bleak for nVidia? No, not by a long shot. They have been in much worse positions (Geforce FX anyone?)

Thanks
    • BerZerk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5WDH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 Gig PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Too much to mention
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD4890 1Gig
      • PSU:
      • Xclio 650W PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 8Meg ADSL

As long NVIDIA is not manu faulty cards...then they should be fine...
    So many of them are still around in ppl pc and laptops... hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information