Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me with buying a new PC please

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Help me with buying a new PC please

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    I don't like to play at 1900 resolution with MAX settings lol... maybe 1280 resolution at most...
    Mate if you want to play at that res then you are seriously looking at the wrong system!
    Like MSIC said you can build or buy a less powerful but adequate for your needs PC. If you're just planning on gaming the E8xxx's range is really good for gaming and they clock high. If I were you I'd spend that £2500 slowly over the years to make that system last much much longer than chucking it into one build in one go. You might see it as building a new system every year but all I can see is if you've got a good base unit then most of the time you'll just be upgrading your graphics card to keep it playing the latest games. Seeing as the graphics cards of today and the future are being made for those extra high resolutions and you wanting to play at 1280 without max settings is like saving you alot of money on the graphics cards.

PS - Everyone was saying your first spec PC wasn't good because of the components it was made of that's all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Mate if you want to play at that res then you are seriously looking at the wrong system!
    Like MSIC said you can build or buy a less powerful but adequate for your needs PC. If you're just planning on gaming the E8xxx's range is really good for gaming and they clock high. If I were you I'd spend that £2500 slowly over the years to make that system last much much longer than chucking it into one build in one go. You might see it as building a new system every year but all I can see is if you've got a good base unit then most of the time you'll just be upgrading your graphics card to keep it playing the latest games. Seeing as the graphics cards of today and the future are being made for those extra high resolutions and you wanting to play at 1280 without max settings is like saving you alot of money on the graphics cards.

PS - Everyone was saying your first spec PC wasn't good because of the components it was made of that's all
    Thanks moogle.

I think there's two types of gamers:

Pro gamers (who prefer performance over image quality and fancy lights and big monitors and play the same game for years)

And fun gamers... (who want to have fun, see the biggest and best quality graphics, and play the latest titles)

I'm the first one (pro), so I don't need these HUGE displays and 1900 resolution... I don't think any professional gamer plays higher than 1280... Like I said, in 2006, only two years ago, Pro Gamers were playing Counter-Strike Source at 1024x768... some even 800x600!

Thanks
    • NeedMoarFarms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit Ip-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2GB 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520WHX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Syncmaster 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    Thanks moogle.

I think there's two types of gamers:

Pro gamers (who prefer performance over image quality and fancy lights and big monitors and play the same game for years)

And fun gamers... (who want to have fun, see the biggest and best quality graphics, and play the latest titles)

I'm the first one (pro), so I don't need these HUGE displays and 1900 resolution... I don't think any professional gamer plays higher than 1280... Like I said, in 2006, only two years ago, Pro Gamers were playing Counter-Strike Source at 1024x768... some even 800x600!
    No offence or anything, but I think you really underestimate how fast technology has moved since then.
    You don't lose any performance by playing at high resolutions. Graphics cards nowadays are more than capable of handling those resolutions. With a good card you won't see any difference between playing at 800*600 or 1920*1080, except it will look alot better at a higher resolution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoarFarms View Post
    No offence or anything, but I think you really underestimate how fast technology has moved since then.
    You don't lose any performance by playing at high resolutions. Graphics cards nowadays are more than capable of handling those resolutions. With a good card you won't see any difference between playing at 800*600 or 1920*1080, except it will look alot better at a higher resolution.
    Yes, I think you're right lol.

I am trying to find a website where it shows what the tournaments are using for their pc's now adays... anyone got a link to show what the pro gamers are playing on? their specs? their settings?

thanks

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

I'd recommend something like the following:
    Base Unit
    Case: Antec Solo £61 (review here).
    PSU: Corsair Modular 620W £92
    Motherboard: DFI P45 £102. Madshrimps review.
    CPU: E8500 £160. Neoseeker Review.
    CPU HSF : Xigmatek HDT-S1283 £25. Xbit labs review
    RAM: 2 x 2GB of Corsair Twin2X £55.
    Optical drive: Sony SATA DVD RW £17
    Hard Drive: 1TB Western Dig Black £105. Review at PC Pro
    Graphics card: 1GB Asus GTX 280 £316. HardOCP review of a GTX 280
    Sound: The ASUS Xonars are well regarded £56. Review at OCC.
    The total for this is £830 so far, and will wipe the floor with any game you like (yes, inc Crysis!)

Peripherals
    I'd recommend a Dell Ultrasharp monitor every single time, if people have the budget for it.
    I know you are not 100% certain, but i really, honestly would suggest this 24" model, it's beautiful.
    And if you insist on running at a lower resolution for whatever reason, the Dell will scale the image perfectly anyway (either stretched, scaled, with or without black bars, whatever you want).
    One solitary note of caution - i've found this review (TFT Central) which criticised the input lag. Personally i think they're OTT, but it's something to consider for a gaming system.
    Speakers: Creative Gigaworks 5.1 is probably overkill, but they are quality for £192. We might change these if you can't go too loud (neighbours, babies or whatever).
    Keyboard: Logitech Dinovo keyboards are the Gnat's whiskers. £100. Trusted Reviews review Or good alternatives here
    Mouse: Really a personal preference. I love my Razor Diamondback. £25, but you may prefer another.

Total cost = £1,562 inc VAT and delivery. You could maybe swap the CPU for a Quad Core if you want, but i wouldnt recommend spending more than about £250 on a CPU, and gaming benefits more from speed than cores at the moment.
    This set-up will be rocking fasting as it is, with plenty room for overclocking, and a second graphics card if you really, really want.

Edit: You might need to buy Windows too I forgot that!
    Last edited by MSIC; 26-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thanks
    • Zadock's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (1600Mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500GB HD501LJ Spinpoint T, SATA300, 7200 rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6950 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W HX Series Modular Powersupply
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 HP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" LED
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm@scan View Post
    I don't get commision so you surely don't, but thank you i am going to look after the OP hopefully we can come to some arrangement take time and effort and it always comes good.
    Your welcome, had good service from Scan in the past and have no qualms about putting business your way...

Robscure: There are a couple of different versions of my avatar have a google, variety is good.

System 1: Case: Antec 900 Motherboard: Asus Z77 CPU: Core i5 3570K @3.4GHz RAM:8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz GFX: XFX AMD Radeon 6950 2Gb (Cayman) HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

System 2: Lenovo Ideapad S205: AMD E350 APU (1.6Ghz), 2Gb 1066Mhz DDR3, Radeon HD6310 (integrated), 250Gb HDD, Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

System 3:Asus Eee 901: 12Gb Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome Desktop edition

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Rob,

A good guide - spending more on a high end system for that extra 2% is not worth it!
    Spend up to 1.5 k
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...buy-nov-2008/8

So you reckon you are a Pro gamer, sorry dude but I doubt it.....!
    (I was godlike at UT on Deck 16) and was fast in my day, but seriously I am lucky if I can finish 3rd in some of the top FPS euro servers these days....

Enjoy the graphics and get a good quality (fast 24 inch) monitor.....
    Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mat-ster View Post
    Hi Rob,

A good guide - spending more on a high end system for that extra 2% is not worth it!
    Spend up to 1.5 k
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...buy-nov-2008/8

So you reckon you are a Pro gamer, sorry dude but I doubt it.....!
    (I was godlike at UT on Deck 16) and was fast in my day, but seriously I am lucky if I can finish 3rd in some of the top FPS euro servers these days....

Enjoy the graphics and get a good quality (fast 24 inch) monitor.....
    Matt
    When I said pro gamer, I defined the term... I'm referring to my preference of PC hardware.

I am however very good at video games, and if I played a single game for 8 hours a day like the PRO's do, then I would be able to compete with them, I'm sure.

Regardless, I accept your apology, even though your opinion doesn't hurt my ego in any way...

...it's still as big as ever...

lol jk

[edit]

I posted a final thread, detailing the final version of my PC... and thanking everyone who helped me along the way.

The thread can be found here.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and expertise!

Once everything arrives and I put it together, I'll let you know how it turns out, and maybe upload some photos, and also post the scores and overclocking that it achieves. I don't know enough about computers yet to do this by myself, I have my good friend Moogle who is going to help me, so all build + overclocking credit goes to him
    Last edited by Robscure; 30-11-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information