Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 25

Thread: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

  1. #1
    Sink or Swim
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Hello.

    I've started to get back into gaming recently, and am looking to upgrade my computer, just to beef it up a little bit. But, I haven't even opened my PC case in around a year, so I have no idea as to what's what with computers at the moment.

    My PC is as shown in 'My System', except the graphics card is now a Radeon 3650, as opposed to a nVidia 7600GT.

    I'll have around £250 to spend, which could be pushed up to ~£300 if needs be.


    Any advice is welcome.

    Thanks

    Nick

  2. #2
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    Hello.

    I've started to get back into gaming recently, and am looking to upgrade my computer, just to beef it up a little bit. But, I haven't even opened my PC case in around a year, so I have no idea as to what's what with computers at the moment.

    My PC is as shown in 'My System', except the graphics card is now a Radeon 3650, as opposed to a nVidia 7600GT.

    I'll have around £250 to spend, which could be pushed up to ~£300 if needs be.


    Any advice is welcome.

    Thanks

    Nick
    We'll need to know what processor you have.

    Pentium 4? Core 2 Duo?

    Do you know your motherboard? Do you know your RAM? What type of PC is it? Is it a Dell, for example?

    Tell us as much info as you can. Search google if you don't know how to find something.

  3. #3
    Sink or Swim
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    My PC is as shown in 'My System', except the graphics card is now a Radeon 3650, as opposed to a nVidia 7600GT.
    But:

    Intel Core2Duo E6300
    Gigabyte DS3
    2GB Corsair RAM PC6400
    Corsair HX520
    ATI Radeon 3650
    320GB Seagate Barracuda
    Antec 900
    XP 32bit

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    535
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    45 times in 45 posts
    • Hawker1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar Tpower X58A / Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 950@4Ghz TRUE / i7 920@4Ghz H50-1
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Crucial Ballistix@1336mhz / 6GB Corsair XMS3@1528mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB G.Skill Falcon + 1.5TB + 2x400GB / Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD + 1.5TB + 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850@825/1150 / 5870@900/1300
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 620W / Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 / Silverstone FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate / Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E248WFP 24" / Benq G2420HDBL 24"
      • Internet:
      • 10mb Virgin Cable / 24mb Talk Talk ADSL

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Depending what resolution you game at I would say E8400 CPU + 4850 graphics card for 1680x1050 (1600x1200) or less, and E5200 CPU + 4870 for 1920x1200 or more. Either way it should work out at about £250. (looking at your system I would imagine its the first option, so go for E8400 + an ati 4850, that will let you play anything maxed out on a 19" monitor)

    Hawker

  5. Received thanks from:

    Nick Smith (30-11-2008)

  6. #5
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    But:

    Intel Core2Duo E6300
    Gigabyte DS3
    2GB Corsair RAM PC6400
    Corsair HX520
    ATI Radeon 3650
    320GB Seagate Barracuda
    Antec 900
    XP 32bit
    lol sorry I'm tired, I'm not used to this forum's interface yet, I forgot there's a feature like that ...

    You processor is prime for gaming, maybe overclock it if you can... There's plenty of guides on here for that.

    2gb ram is minimum, but since you're on XP you won't benefit from 4, you'll only get about 3.7 from it, because xp has a cap.

    Your video card will impact performance the most. Since you have £250 to spend, you are in luck!

    [post removed]

    EVGA has an awesome record, I love that brand, and the 260 is the second (next to the 280) best single GPU in the world. The 4870 isn't as good, only the 4870x2 matches it, but that's two gpu's put together, and plus ATI sucks at the moment, they run very hot and very loud... So I definitely recommend going with nVidia... this is based off of all of the reviews and professional tests that I've read on the subject, as well as the opinions of many other people...

    [EDIT: I just realized that card is 192 core not 216, sorry... For the same price you can get this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...xDL-DVI-I-HDTV which is almost as good as the 280's.]

    So, for £250 you can get one of the best GPU's in the world, and that will raise your performance a LOT...

    The core 2 duo's are good for gaming, they aren't obsolete yet, and won't be for a while. There's really no need to upgrade it...

    See what other's say, but I think they'll also recommend upgrading your GPU.

    Last edited by Robscure; 30-11-2008 at 11:58 AM.

  7. Received thanks from:

    Nick Smith (30-11-2008)

  8. #6
    Sink or Swim
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Thanks for that guys.

    I'm still undecided however, and am going to wait for some other opinions before i make a decision.

  9. #7
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    Thanks for that guys.

    I'm still undecided however, and am going to wait for some other opinions before i make a decision.
    Well you have an E6xxx, and people recommend upgrading to E5xxx for gaming.

    You're already above the mark as far as the consensus is concerned.

    People also recommend low graphics cards such as the 8800's...

    You should play a game and see what your performance is like, it may already be enough for you, but if it isn't, it's either due to your RAM or your GPU, because those play the largest factor in gaming performance. CPU really isn't a huge deal as long as it's a Duo +.

    [edit:I just realized that card is 192 core not 216, sorry... For the same price you can get this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...xDL-DVI-I-HDTV which is almost as good as the 280's.]

    This is the same exact card that I'm getting.

    Read the review here

    Sorry about that I'm very tired I'm going to stop posting now lol
    Last edited by Robscure; 30-11-2008 at 12:00 PM.

  10. Received thanks from:

    Nick Smith (30-11-2008)

  11. #8
    Sink or Swim
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    Well you have an E6xxx, and people recommend upgrading to E5xxx for gaming.

    You're already above the mark as far as the consensus is concerned.

    People also recommend low graphics cards such as the 8800's...

    You should play a game and see what your performance is like, it may already be enough for you, but if it isn't, it's either due to your RAM or your GPU, because those play the largest factor in gaming performance. CPU really isn't a huge deal as long as it's a Duo +.

    [edit:I just realized that card is 192 core not 216, sorry... For the same price you can get this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...xDL-DVI-I-HDTV which is almost as good as the 280's.]

    This is the same exact card that I'm getting.

    Read the review here

    Sorry about that I'm very tired I'm going to stop posting now lol
    No worries!

    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    535
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    45 times in 45 posts
    • Hawker1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar Tpower X58A / Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 950@4Ghz TRUE / i7 920@4Ghz H50-1
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Crucial Ballistix@1336mhz / 6GB Corsair XMS3@1528mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB G.Skill Falcon + 1.5TB + 2x400GB / Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD + 1.5TB + 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850@825/1150 / 5870@900/1300
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 620W / Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 / Silverstone FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate / Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E248WFP 24" / Benq G2420HDBL 24"
      • Internet:
      • 10mb Virgin Cable / 24mb Talk Talk ADSL

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Or you can buy this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB...VI-I-HDTV-HDCP save yourself £70 and get very nearly the same performance as the review robscure linked to shows, and I would bet that on a 19" monitor you would see no difference at all between the two since the review above was run at 1920x1200 which is much more graphics card intensive.

    Hawker

  13. Received thanks from:

    Nick Smith (30-11-2008)

  14. #10
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker1986 View Post
    Or you can buy this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB...VI-I-HDTV-HDCP save yourself £70 and get very nearly the same performance as the review robscure linked to shows, and I would bet that on a 19" monitor you would see no difference at all between the two since the review above was run at 1920x1200 which is much more graphics card intensive.

    Hawker
    Yeah these top-end graphics cards are amazingly powerful, people use them for 1900+ res at max settings, on a 19 inch with say 1200 res you can get amazing performance. Nice one Hawker

  15. Received thanks from:

    Nick Smith (30-11-2008)

  16. #11
    Sink or Swim
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bedford/Leicester
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Thanks again to both of you!

  17. #12
    A shadowy flight. MSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London/Herts
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    229 times in 168 posts
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Just for a change of ideas... £250 could buy you
    a) a PS3.
    b) a decent monitor.
    c) an Xbox360 plus a load of games
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

    System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

  18. #13
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    Just for a change of ideas... £250 could buy you
    a) a PS3.
    b) a decent monitor.
    c) an Xbox360 plus a load of games
    Console gaming SUCKS so bad in my opinion. I want to sell my Xbox 360 + I think about 7 games...

    Am I allowed to advertise that on here? lol

    I hate console gaming, personally. But that's just me, obviously millions of people enjoy it.

    I think my internet connection just sucks on the games that I would like to play on 360...

  19. #14
    Senior Member Dreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Leicester / York
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    40 times in 30 posts
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Robscure - when you get more posts you can!

    Also to the OP - you seem to have a fairly rounded system. Mine isn't too disimiliar and I've got the e6300 at 3 ghz 100% prime95 stable with 1.36v, so its not producing too much heat yet also 3ghz is enough CPU grunt for any game.

    If you were pushed, upgrade the GPU, but the 3650 isn't a bad graphics card and I'm skeptical whether you will see a real world improvement.

    I'd spend the money on a bigger monitor, where you will definately see a real world improvement
    Dreaming

    C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

  20. #15
    Insomnia Robscure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    703
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked
    32 times in 24 posts

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Robscure - when you get more posts you can!

    Also to the OP - you seem to have a fairly rounded system. Mine isn't too disimiliar and I've got the e6300 at 3 ghz 100% prime95 stable with 1.36v, so its not producing too much heat yet also 3ghz is enough CPU grunt for any game.

    If you were pushed, upgrade the GPU, but the 3650 isn't a bad graphics card and I'm skeptical whether you will see a real world improvement.

    I'd spend the money on a bigger monitor, where you will definately see a real world improvement
    Don't listen to him!!! lol

    Bigger monitor??? 22" is perfect for gaming, as long as you don't go above that... If you do, you'll rely on better gpu , etc, to produce better quality, etc, and it won't be as smooth gameplay... Unless you're just in it for the eye candy!!

  21. #16
    Hello jackvdbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    2,513
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked
    112 times in 95 posts
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

    Re: £250 Budget - What changes should I make to my PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    2gb ram is minimum, but since you're on XP you won't benefit from 4, you'll only get about 3.7 from it, because xp has a cap.
    just to save any future confusion for yourself, its 32 bit not the OS that is the problem.

    look for a 2nd hand dell 2407wfp, lovely monitor
    or even a 2409 (tn) for a cheap price, 24 inch is the nicest thing ever to have


    tbh, if your not feeling the strain save the money for something else.. im still happy with my 8800gts 512 and even though it doesnt play some games fully maxed, lowering the settings a notch is fine with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for DSLR Budget £250 ish
    By shackahn in forum Consumer Electronics
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 20-06-2008, 09:43 AM
  2. Which Monitor To Get? £250 Budget
    By Thrungus in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
  3. £250 budget for 22" monitor
    By Goose in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
  4. Best graphics card for AGP on a budget
    By KowShak in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-01-2006, 09:49 PM
  5. The last budget
    By RVF500 in forum Question Time
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 29-03-2005, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •