Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Argh, which 17" tft the Samsung 172V or the Acer AL1714

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Argh, which 17" tft the Samsung 172V or the Acer AL1714

    Samsung Specs

    http://www.samsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/ec...=GY17VSSS%2fXEU

    Acer Specs

    http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...&crc=1070810037

    It appears the Acer has a 14ms TFT panel, while the sammy is 25ms

    Also the contrast ratio is 350:1 on the acer and 250:1 with the samsung .

    Is the acer really better or is it all a lie


  2. #2
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    erm neither?

    Iiyama Prolite E431S

    though yes, all specs the manufacturers give you are marketing BS.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    erm neither?

    Iiyama Prolite E431S

    though yes, all specs the manufacturers give you are marketing BS.
    Its just I get both of those for about £255/260 so a good £60 cheaper

    I though the acers had a good rep, but then if its all BS then im even more confused

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    or the IIYAMA PROLITE E430 which is about £275?

  5. #5
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    14msec will NOT be across the whole color spectrum - it'll be 14msec for a very limited set of colors, or 14 sec down, plus an undisclosed number up. manufacturers quote whatever they feel like for screen stats - some manufacturers have a 75% stat difference between US & UK pages for the same hardware on things like pixel response.

    Suffice to say the E431S is the best 17" TFT I've seen. The 430 is the same but has no DVI

    And why pay less for worse kit?

  6. #6
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked
    254 times in 199 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity
    ok ever so slightly OT here, but why are you getting a tft? for that money you could get a top end CRT which would give you a much better picture and last a lot longer.. only reason for getting a tft atm is space

    but if you did want to waste your money on a tft, i would say the IIyama like matty suggests, or the hercules one if you can find one

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    14msec will NOT be across the whole color spectrum - it'll be 14msec for a very limited set of colors, or 14 sec down, plus an undisclosed number up. manufacturers quote whatever they feel like for screen stats - some manufacturers have a 75% stat difference between US & UK pages for the same hardware on things like pixel response.

    Suffice to say the E431S is the best 17" TFT I've seen. The 430 is the same but has no DVI

    And why pay less for worse kit?
    Oh I see, thats a nasty trick on the part of the manufacturer

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    ok ever so slightly OT here, but why are you getting a tft? for that money you could get a top end CRT which would give you a much better picture and last a lot longer.. only reason for getting a tft atm is space

    but if you did want to waste your money on a tft, i would say the IIyama like matty suggests, or the hercules one if you can find one
    I currently have a 19" Mitsubishi Plus 91 DiamondTron Flatscreen CRT. (Which is very good) but I would like to cut down on the space taken and also try and save my eyes a bit, as I believe TFTs are much better for your eyes

  9. #9
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    I have a 2-year-old TFT and wouldn't switch back to a CRT if you paid me.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    I have a 2-year-old TFT and wouldn't switch back to a CRT if you paid me.
    Whats the best price I should be lookin at on the 431 you recommended?

    I have found £312 ish

    Compared to £275 on the E430
    Last edited by mattyp; 05-03-2004 at 09:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    the difference between the 430 and 431 is DVI.

    that said the VGA on the 430 si very good.

  12. #12
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked
    254 times in 199 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyp
    I currently have a 19" Mitsubishi Plus 91 DiamondTron Flatscreen CRT. (Which is very good) but I would like to cut down on the space taken and also try and save my eyes a bit, as I believe TFTs are much better for your eyes
    tfts are no better for your eyes tbh..but then if you dont play games or watch dvds on your PC a tft will suit you fine, espec if you need the space

    I still remain on my position that tfts are currently no where near the quality of a decent CRT; but it aint my money

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    tfts are no better for your eyes tbh..but then if you dont play games or watch dvds on your PC a tft will suit you fine, espec if you need the space

    I still remain on my position that tfts are currently no where near the quality of a decent CRT; but it aint my money
    Really our university has just spent a small fortune for that very reason

    Also its meant to reduce glare and radiation, is that not true then?

  14. #14
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Yes, it is true.

    That and a TFT consumes 4-5 times less electricity to run, making them cheaper for places like unis to use. They _DO_ reduce eye strain, as they do not rely on fooling the eye with a single moving pixel.

    And for the record only one person in our house is still on a CRT, and that's because he got a bad TFT and is too lazy to return it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 17" Tft
    By Russ in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 06:16 PM
  2. Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" TFT Monitor (Carbon)
    By Platinum in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 10:41 AM
  3. Bargain 17" TFT Laptop
    By joshwa in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •