Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 27

Thread: Netbook Vs Notebook

  1. #1
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Netbook Vs Notebook

    So, I'm in the market for a portable computer, but with so much choice I've become very lost.

    I don't want to spend too much money on one, say £600/£700 max but prefer really £500 or less if possible. I want something I will like, which can be hard.

    I plan to do lite university work on it, such as c programming, essay writing in small amounts and some data processing using Origin 8 or something similar. As I have a powerfullish PC at home.

    So I'm not sure if a netbook will just fail at these tasks, but I would prefer not to be stuck with a big laptop hence why I'm even looking at netbooks, but ultra portable notebooks are really expensive

    So I'm at a lose right now. So much choice and I really like the Asus N10J but that's so expense for what it is, the Samsung NC10 looks nice but the keyboard might be too small. These might be underpowered for my tasks also.

    But a notebook is generally too big such as 15.4" or bigger. I would like smaller but they all seem really expensive and I don't know if the better hardware is that much better at low cost anyway. Such as a £300 netbook compared to say a £400 notebook.

    Help?

  2. #2
    YUKIKAZE arthurleung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    3,280
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    88 times in 83 posts
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Seriously, if you're planning to do programming / essay writing on a netbook, think twice.

    Even though I'm pretty much get used to my Dell Mini9, I couldn't get past 250char/min in touch typing, in contrast to my desktop or my Inspiron 1525, which is around 690char/min.

    Personally I think the minimum for this kind of purpose is 14.1", and 15.4" would be you a decent sized keyboard to work with.

    If you pair your netbook with external keyboard, it would be alright for essay writing. Programming I think you really need the width (resolution).

    Consider how cheap are netbooks, I would say, buy and try one yourself. I wouldn't bother with the NC10, as your home PC can handle all your storage and you really don't need much space on a netbook, lower end sub-£200 will be fine. I doubt you will like netbooks as your work computer very much as it REALLY hurts your productivity. I personally think it is mainly for "Read" purpose such as looking at websites, but for "Write" I only think it go as far as email and forum postings.

    There are plenty of very decent laptops about £450-500, significantly more powerful than the netbooks.

    15.4" aren't really that big/heavy. I have been carrying that to university for the past 3 years (with 1~2 extra batteries, no power supply). I saved the weight of all the paper / notes I otherwise need to carry without the laptop. Many people's bags are significantly heavier than mine without a laptop
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

    Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

    Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

  3. Received thanks from:


  4. #3
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung View Post
    Seriously, if you're planning to do programming / essay writing on a netbook, think twice.

    Even though I'm pretty much get used to my Dell Mini9, I couldn't get past 250char/min in touch typing, in contrast to my desktop or my Inspiron 1525, which is around 690char/min.

    Personally I think the minimum for this kind of purpose is 14.1", and 15.4" would be you a decent sized keyboard to work with.

    If you pair your netbook with external keyboard, it would be alright for essay writing. Programming I think you really need the width (resolution).

    Consider how cheap are netbooks, I would say, buy and try one yourself. I wouldn't bother with the NC10, as your home PC can handle all your storage and you really don't need much space on a netbook, lower end sub-£200 will be fine. I doubt you will like netbooks as your work computer very much as it REALLY hurts your productivity. I personally think it is mainly for "Read" purpose such as looking at websites, but for "Write" I only think it go as far as email and forum postings.

    There are plenty of very decent laptops about £450-500, significantly more powerful than the netbooks.
    My plan wasn't to write fast or alot in a short time, it was just to start and top up any work. Plus the codeing I'm doing is just basic C. I'm learning it for a module. That's one reason I thought it might be a good idea to go for a netbook.

    Thanks for the advice, I think I best get looking for more laptops

  5. #4
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    I really wouldn't bother with the netbook for anything other that simple net stuff, office tasks etc..

    You can get plenty of very portable laptops for less than £700.

    Dell XPS M1330 (tesco are actually selling nice specs for £500)
    Dell Inspiron 13
    Samsung Q210/Q310 (12" and 13")
    sammy X22 (bit bigger 14.1" but light and powerful)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147022
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148560

  6. Received thanks from:


  7. #5
    Alpha
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts
    • Nelsaidi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Qe IP45
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640Gb 7200rpm, Seagate 250gb 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DEll Ultrasharp 17"
      • Internet:
      • AOL :(

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    The Dell XPS's with a small screen are good laptops. Ive used various dell laptops, and there is a large ammount of crap running as shipped (my one had 85 processes running when i first got it!), so, you'll have to msconfig your way out of them, but most manufacturers are like that.

    As staffsMike posted the Dell XPS's would be good, they have a small screen, but are loaded with good hardware

  8. #6
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    I just format them when I get them, regardless of bloatwear..

    I have an XPS M1330 and will be getting a netbook in a few days. Each has it's purpose for me but I think laptop is the way to go for OP.

  9. #7
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I just format them when I get them, regardless of bloatwear..

    I have an XPS M1330 and will be getting a netbook in a few days. Each has it's purpose for me but I think laptop is the way to go for OP.
    Well I will look at them, tho is it worth it to pad out the specs on the dell website or find it off another website?

    The Samsung Q310 does look good tho.

  10. #8
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Some deals and a deal code to use on the dell site here
    http://www.dmxdimension.com/blogcate...xps_m1330.html

    They are always open to haggling as well so don't be affraid to try that on the phone.

  11. Received thanks from:


  12. #9
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    Some deals and a deal code to use on the dell site here
    http://www.dmxdimension.com/blogcate...xps_m1330.html

    They are always open to haggling as well so don't be affraid to try that on the phone.
    Thank you.

    How do you find the XPS M1330? and why you buying a new laptop?

    Edit: It seems a similar spec dell and samsung, the samsung is about £70 cheaper with the 10% coupon on the dell.
    Last edited by Nabobalis; 26-12-2008 at 01:10 AM.

  13. #10
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    I think it's fantastic. There are more expensive sonys which look a bit better but they are too difficult to upgrade and the warranty support is pathetic so I went with dell.

    It does everything though, light gaming (COD4 looks good and plays very smoothly for example).. anything I've thrown at it, it can cope with happily I'm using it as my main PC now.

    The netbook is in the light of me starting to teach and needing a laptop (since what they gave me is naff) and not wanting to use my XPS with all the smelly kids around it So a £199 netbook will do what I need it to and be nice and portable between classes.

  14. #11
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I think it's fantastic. There are more expensive sonys which look a bit better but they are too difficult to upgrade and the warranty support is pathetic so I went with dell.

    It does everything though, light gaming (COD4 looks good and plays very smoothly for example).. anything I've thrown at it, it can cope with happily I'm using it as my main PC now.

    The netbook is in the light of me starting to teach and needing a laptop (since what they gave me is naff) and not wanting to use my XPS with all the smelly kids around it So a £199 netbook will do what I need it to and be nice and portable between classes.
    Yeah, I remember I saw your thread

    But, what model do you have?

  15. #12
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Mine is

    2.2Ghz T7500 C2D
    2GB RAM
    200GB 7200rpm HDD
    8400GS 128mb
    LED Back lit screen
    9 Cell Battery

    I bought it when it was first released with a sizable discount

  16. #13
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Made one for about £800 but I'm not sure how to show it But its about £170 more than the Samsung Q310 for a similar Spec so I'm not sure

  17. #14
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    With or without the 10% off?

    screenshot and upload if you want to show it.

  18. #15
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    With or without the 10% off?

    screenshot and upload if you want to show it.
    With the 10% off




  19. #16
    YUKIKAZE arthurleung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    3,280
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    88 times in 83 posts
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

    Re: Netbook Vs Notebook

    If you can wait, eventually there will be a very cheap DELL deal for you.
    Otherwise I think the Samsung is a good deal, just the 4-cell battery might be a bit small
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

    Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

    Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

  20. Received thanks from:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •