Thread: 4GB Ram - Something here is cheating me!

Thanks

4GB Ram - Something here is cheating me!

Apolgise as I know loads of these probably get posted, but all I could find was people like me having a good moan and debate about the /3GB switch. Google fails too.

Just whacked my shiney new Play ram (2x1GB) in my desktop and have only managed 3.24GB. Feel a bit cheated as I don't have a PCIe gfx card, or any PCI expansion cards, one SATA HDD and one SATA DVD. Intel onboard graphics also uses next to nothing so isnt that. Obviously the exact amount you'll get varies, but 750MB for address crap?!. What happens when I do add a modern 512MB+ graphics card. Gonna wonder why I bothered at all, thats what

Any tricks I'm missing here? as had assumed I'd score closer to 3.75GB tbh considering I've got pretty much barebones running here. First person to suggest Vista x64 gets a thanks

ooh is a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R/S2 Motherboard.

Thanks

Re: 4GB Ram - Something here is cheating me!

Vista x64

But seriously you do have to use 64 bit to get the full 4gb but i guess cause u mentioned it u already are.

3. Received thanks from:

mehmeh (28-12-2008)

Thanks

There ya go.

Nope, should of said, using XP Pro SP2, have got Vista x86 but hate it and x64 looks like even more trouble for some of the peripherals and software I have.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Well then learn to live with it, or get XP64.

Thanks

Isn't that the problem then, unless you have 64bit it just won't recognize 4gb will it?

Thanks
    • synaesthesia's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77MA-G45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • GSkill RipjawX 2133Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 830/2 x 2TB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon 6870
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 750w Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 200R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B 24" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 16Mbit DSL

Exactly it, regardless of what other peripherals are in the system, 3.2 is a normal maximum.
    Vista x64 is hardly any hassle, it's very well supported and the only things really holding it back are some software support from older hardware manufacturers. In most cases it's perfectly fine and will certainly make the most of better hardware, unlike XP (open to debate).

So, unless you're happy to put up with it, feel free to post the components you're worried about x64 compatibility and I'm sure there are folks here with some form of experience that may put your mind at rest.

Thanks

Yeah I get that, but also read that the amount you will address varies on the system, so if you've got a 4870X2 or something, you wave goodbye to 2GB, but am a little miffed at what I've got considering what I'm running. More concerned about what happens when I add the 512MB 9800GTX I'm saving up for. I loose another 512MB and end up no better off if I'd of stuck with 2GB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Exactly it, regardless of what other peripherals are in the system, 3.2 is a normal maximum.
    Vista x64 is hardly any hassle, it's very well supported and the only things really holding it back are some software support from older hardware manufacturers. In most cases it's perfectly fine and will certainly make the most of better hardware, unlike XP (open to debate).

So, unless you're happy to put up with it, feel free to post the components you're worried about x64 compatibility and I'm sure there are folks here with some form of experience that may put your mind at rest.
    Ahh I may have missread something somewhere then, as I had the distinct impression it varried between 3.25GB-3.75GB depending on gfx cards and other hardware installed?

x64 is a non starter, have a MIDI Keyboard with no x64 drivers/support available, external mixer and USB soundcard that must admit I havent looked into, but assume the same of as both are pretty ancient. I think Reason 4 and Sonar 7 will work fine, probably 64bit versions available. No problems with Photoshop etc obviously and think even CaptureNX will work fine. Is more a prefference to XP and I am happy to put up with the limitations, but just feel a little robbed considering the hardware I'm running.

If I'm wrong (wouldnt be the first time) on lossing another 512MB or whatever when I add in a new gfx card I'll issue a public apology for Vista bashing and feel alot better.

*EDIT Looks like I may have resolved it. The Intel GMA3100 rubbish had decided to give itself 384MB of Ram even though it is/was set in the BIOS to its lowest amount, (64MB I think). So that gives me more like the 3.5GB I was expecting and doesnt worry me when I upgrade gfx now as the GMA will be disabled. Off to figure out why its done that and nab my Ram back now, thanks for the input guys
    Last edited by mehmeh; 28-12-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information