Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 27

Thread: Back to PC!

  1. #1
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Back to PC!

    Well after a long time using Macs i'm coming back to PC!

    Not ditching the Mac, still going to be my main machine. But i need a pc for some up and coming games in 2009. Operation Flashpoint and/or Arma2.

    Please see the below screenshot for the spec.

    I already have the following on the shelf.

    Hard Drives (WD and Seagate)
    Mouse
    Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2 Black - the case in the screen grab is to replace my dad's pc case as he wanted a smaller one.

    I was thinking of spending the extra and going for the i7, but wondered what you guys thought? I'm a bit rusty as i've been outta the PC field for a little while.



    Cheers

  2. #2
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Back to PC!

    Just for gaming then? If so I wouldn't bother with the quad tbh. Unless those games actually make use of quad (no idea.. ) then it generally isn't worth it.

    The case is a bit naff by todays standards. I would get the Coolermaster CM-690 if you want decent cooling etc.. Antec 300 isn't bad either.

    graphics card is a bit overkill for the monitor.. but again, no idea what those games are like.

    Q6600 will be just as effective for gaming, especially if overclocked. But as I said something as cheap and cheerful as the pentium dual core E5200 will be just as effective as a similarly clocked quad in most games.. and they are £60.

    I have the freezer 7 pro and don't like it.. too noisey.

    You won't need the fan controller with a better case.

    Better off with the biostar P45, better board overall as the basic asus is.. well.. basic.

    The PSU is great.. but not at that price. If the enermax modu82+ 525W is cheaper, get that. Tbh I would forget modular right now and get the Enermax Proe82+ 525W as they are better value.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Reapsy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PB5-E
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E8600
      • Memory:
      • 2048MB Corsair DDR2 5400
      • Storage:
      • 150GB Raptor, 750 GB WD, 80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
      • Case:
      • A big black one
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 56kbps ADSL

    Re: Back to PC!

    £44 for a keyboard?

  4. #4
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    18 times in 18 posts
    • synaesthesia's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77MA-G45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • GSkill RipjawX 2133Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 830/2 x 2TB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon 6870
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 750w Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 200R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B 24" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 16Mbit DSL

    Re: Back to PC!

    32bit only vista DVD. This day and age that's a nono - not so much for wasting a small proportion of your 4gb ram but for futureproofing. Compatibility problems are rarely an issue these days other than very old hardware.
    Moo.

  6. #6
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Re: Back to PC!

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    Just for gaming then? If so I wouldn't bother with the quad tbh. Unless those games actually make use of quad (no idea.. ) then it generally isn't worth it.

    The case is a bit naff by todays standards. I would get the Coolermaster CM-690 if you want decent cooling etc.. Antec 300 isn't bad either.

    graphics card is a bit overkill for the monitor.. but again, no idea what those games are like.

    Q6600 will be just as effective for gaming, especially if overclocked. But as I said something as cheap and cheerful as the pentium dual core E5200 will be just as effective as a similarly clocked quad in most games.. and they are £60.

    I have the freezer 7 pro and don't like it.. too noisey.

    You won't need the fan controller with a better case.
    Thanks for your reply.

    The games will be making use of the Quad architecture, so gonna need quad as a minimum. Is i7 not worth paying the extra for?

    Any suggestions on the Heatsink? Maybe Akasa?

    I know the case is a bit dated, but it's a good case. The other cases i was think about was the Akasa Eclipse 62. Again an old case, but still a great performer.

  7. #7
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Back to PC!

    I have the eclipse 62. Nice case but.. not worth the money compared to something like the antec P182 or even the coolermaster CM-690 imo.

    Making use of.. and making good use of are two different stories but I'll take your word. i7.. I think it might actually prove useful to wait a week or so for what happens with AMD's phenom II's which are set to be very good CPU's. Also the motherboards they work in are a lot cheaper as is the RAM.

  8. #8
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Re: Back to PC!

    I actually have an unused copy of Vista 64bit ultimate. Reason why i haven't used it was because the lack of driver support. What's the support like these days?

  9. #9
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Re: Back to PC!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reapsy View Post
    £44 for a keyboard?
    Us mac people are all about design. It just looks cool!

  10. #10
    Previously modd1uk Cornholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    948
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    21 times in 21 posts

    Re: Back to PC!

    Quote Originally Posted by darrensen View Post
    I actually have an unused copy of Vista 64bit ultimate. Reason why i haven't used it was because the lack of driver support. What's the support like these days?
    The reason i didnt use it to, im now back on it on all 3 pc's in the house, works flawlessly.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 06-01-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo

  11. #11
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Back to PC!

    64bit is fine, especially with games. Almost everything worth having has support for vista 64

  12. #12
    Alpha
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts
    • Nelsaidi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Qe IP45
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640Gb 7200rpm, Seagate 250gb 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DEll Ultrasharp 17"
      • Internet:
      • AOL :(

    Re: Back to PC!

    You'll need a better case, and also a better cooler as your getting a quad, a better cooler would also allow you to oc it alot

  13. #13
    NOT Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,905
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked
    278 times in 253 posts

    Re: Back to PC!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reapsy View Post
    £44 for a keyboard?
    It has a proper sized enter key

    Quote Originally Posted by darrensen View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

    The games will be making use of the Quad architecture, so gonna need quad as a minimum. Is i7 not worth paying the extra for?

    Any suggestions on the Heatsink? Maybe Akasa?

    I know the case is a bit dated, but it's a good case. The other cases i was think about was the Akasa Eclipse 62. Again an old case, but still a great performer.
    Heatsink? Overclocking? If not then an Arctic Freezer will be nice and silent.

    No i7 is not worth paying extra for at the moment. You don't get any extra performance in games. Well not enough for the premium you pay


    Quote Originally Posted by darrensen View Post
    I actually have an unused copy of Vista 64bit ultimate. Reason why i haven't used it was because the lack of driver support. What's the support like these days?
    It's great, boots up maybe a few seconds slower than XP but if you have aero enabled you can use it instantly as it gets to desktop.

  14. #14
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Re: Back to PC!

    Ok here we go... a revised spec....



    Just a shade under £1300.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    19 times in 15 posts
    • Maccer101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Foxconn G33
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 + Scythe Infinity
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Samsung PC-5300
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 + 250gb WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8800gt OC 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 8.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SW223BW + Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • 10mb Virgin Broadband

    Re: Back to PC!

    Thats one pricey machine! My 2 cents..

    Ditch the fan controller, wait until its built to see if you need one

    Change the DVD from Samsung to Pioneer or Sony, the Samsungs are supposed to be good writers but mine is very noisey (same as yours except not LightScribe)

    Save yourself some money on the CPU, something half the price will do and it'll take about 5 minutes to OC it to 3ghz+, especially with a £100 board, either a Q6600, E5200 or E8XXX

    Unless you have the WD HDD already I would switch to a Samsung F1 Cool, Quiet & Quick and less money

    I think I saw the same monitor on Ebuyer for £135 the other day so you can make a saving, however the whole spec seems a bit high considering you'll be playing on a max resolution of 1680x1050

    Wow I've never seen someone change their mind from a £30 case to a £200 one before!

    If you really want a spec this high might as well buy a 1920x1200 Monitor
    HTPC1 - Coolermaster CM330, E2180 + Zalman 9500AT, GA-P31-DS3L, 2x1Gb PC6400 , Antec Earthwatts 430w , Fujitsu 2.5" 40gb HDD, 8600gt, Hannspree 32" LCD TV - Kubuntu 8.04

    HTPC2 - Silverstone TJ-08, Asus 690g, Athlon LE1300 + OCZ Vanquisher, 2x512mb PC5300, Dell 350w PSU, Fujisu 2.5" 40gb HDD, 8600gt, Toshiba 33" CRT TV - Ubuntu 8.04

    Laptop- Lenovo T41, Pentium M 1.6ghz, 768mb PC2700 RAM, 40gb HDD - Ubuntu 8.10

    NAS - Dell Case, Jetway J7F5 Mini-ITX, 1gb PC5300, Enermax Pro 82+ 425w, 1TB Hitachi - FreeNAS 0.69 on 256mb CF

  16. #16
    MacDaddy! darrensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    43 times in 37 posts
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb

    Re: Back to PC!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maccer101 View Post
    Thats one pricey machine! My 2 cents..

    Ditch the fan controller, wait until its built to see if you need one

    Change the DVD from Samsung to Pioneer or Sony, the Samsungs are supposed to be good writers but mine is very noisey (same as yours except not LightScribe)

    Save yourself some money on the CPU, something half the price will do and it'll take about 5 minutes to OC it to 3ghz+, especially with a £100 board, either a Q6600, E5200 or E8XXX

    Unless you have the WD HDD already I would switch to a Samsung F1 Cool, Quiet & Quick and less money

    I think I saw the same monitor on Ebuyer for £135 the other day so you can make a saving, however the whole spec seems a bit high considering you'll be playing on a max resolution of 1680x1050

    Wow I've never seen someone change their mind from a £30 case to a £200 one before!

    If you really want a spec this high might as well buy a 1920x1200 Monitor
    The cheap case was for my dad, who has my good case.

    Decided against having to rebuild his machine with the cheap case and treat myself. I will go for the Samsung DVD drive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Got my hard drive back from seagate but oh dear... recommendations please...
    By themaidenmaniac in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-05-2006, 06:52 PM
  2. BELKIN 350VA UPS mains BACK UP BATTERY £19.99 !
    By mikerr in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-04-2006, 12:31 PM
  3. 2 Films to watch Back to Back
    By Zak33 in forum Consumer Electronics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 21-07-2004, 12:17 PM
  4. Welcome Back
    By Jonny M in forum Networking and Broadband
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 24-07-2003, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •