Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU cooler for a TT Lanbox

Thanks

CPU cooler for a TT Lanbox

Hey all.
    Looking at aftermarket cooling for a E4500 to try my hand at a bit of overclocking. As funds allow I do want to go Quad. Having a nightmare of a time finding anything that will fit in a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite though. Clearance wise, 110mm high is the absolute maximum, would be happier with <90mm. Theres also a couple of little 60mm exhaust fans above the I/O I dont want to foul, but could consider using, along with reverse mounting the PSU (which sits right above CPU and whats causing the clearance issue) to maybe go fanless?
    Its a Gigabyte G33M/DS2R mATX board, so cant have anything crazy wide or deep either. So far have looked at the Scythe Shuriken and Mini Ninja, both are on the limit and 50/50 weather either will fit comfortably without trying tbh. Also Looked at TT blue Orb and the Akaska Flower stuff, but neither seem to offer amazing performance.

Wondering if anyone with a Lanbox has some suggestions? Or anyone else care to advise a decent, but "low profile" cooler that'll allow for a decent overclock on current E4500 and say a future Q6600?

Cheers

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: CPU cooler for a TT Lanbox

3. Received thanks from:

mehmeh (05-01-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    Yeah Shuriken shouldnt have any issues height wise, was just a little worried about fouling the Northbrdge cooler, but doing some dead accurate skwinted eye measuring, be tight, but will fit. Will go hit up some reviews of that.

The SI-128 I think would be a non starter once fan(s) are added, but a possibly for a fanless approach with the PSU sitting ~30mm above it?

GeminII kinda the same. Fans on the top will have nowhere to draw air from due to clearance so would have to be the PSU, maybe mount fans pulling air up and use the PSU too? Would be pushing it at the back of the case too I think.

Cheers for the suggestions , gonna do some proper measuring for that Shuriken now..
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2534 <-- linky to my board with a picture, course havent yet researched much into if its gonna be anygood at overclocking LOL!

I'm ITX
    Thanks

Your board is regarded as one of the best matx overclockers

It's 4.98*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    Your board is regarded as one of the best matx overclockers
    ooh Guess it would be rude not to then!

Researched up on the Shuriken, seems very quiet but not that O/C friendly, assume it'll do my E4500 without too much trouble, but a Quad, maybe not. :S

Further research and measuring says the Scythe Mini Ninja might fit, the little heads on the top of the pipes are what would stop it being perfect. Probably not wise to remove or file them down, only option I can think of is to reverse mount the PSU and mod the grill so they go up a few mm into the PSU but that, coupled with 2x60mm fans on the left and the supplied 80mm on say, the right, is likely to cause all kinds of airflow fun dan games I'm thinking?
    Other option is to look at modding the underside of the PSU with some counter sunk holes, but that'll kill my warranty and unless theres decent clearance, won't I end up dumping all that heat into my PSU housing anyway?

Hmmmm, not ready to give up yet, but starting to wonder what Lanbox's fetch secondhand as it seems to wanna fight me at every opportunity

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

I thought the mini ninja is 115mm.. fits in very few cube cases.

Another thought would be to use the thermalright and mount a fan underneath the fins rather than on top. I've seen that somewhere on here and it worked to good effect. I think I have seen this with the silverstone NT06 though of which there seems to be a new copper version. Worth a look.. the old one sucked though.

The review I saw of the shuriken has an E6600 at around 3.6GHz (from 2.4) and the temps were more than tolerable. Quads are a different story though as you say.

I've lost the thread now but ask Zak33 what he did with is silverstone case as well, as he has a quad in that and aftermarket cooling, from akasa I think.

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Just a heads up you would not be able to mount a fan on the underside of the Thermalright SI-128 the 2 support wires on the other side get in the way.

Sticking with the Thermalright vibe though you could fit a XP-120 (64mm tall) or maybe squeeze in a HR-01 3U (110.2 mm) its designed for Xeon processors but I would think the socket 775 bolt through kit would solve that problem.

As to overclocking your board its a goodun mine will run at 530FSB and then I'm not sure if that is just the FSB limit for my CPU (E6550) or the motherboard, I have seen people take them past 600FSB Not that with an E4500 or Q6600 you would ever need to be considering FSB that high. If you need any help with it then let me know Oh and in case you have not discovered it yet press ctrl+F1 when you first enter the BIOS to unlock a load more options

9. Received thanks from:

mehmeh (07-01-2009)

Thanks
    • LuckyNV's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD65
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB DDR3-1600 Cas7
      • Storage:
      • 640GB.AAKS, 2xSamsung F1 1TB, 2xSamsung 64GB SLC SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-932
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2286L
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimited@21Mbps w/ Draytek 2710n

Thermalright AXP140
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...pu_axp140.html

I would say probably the best low profile cooler there is, especially for quad OCing, very new so I don't think its in circulation yet.
    Dimension: L145 x W147 x H70.2 mm
    So 70mm height plus a fan it'll end up under 100mm, even less if you use a 120mm fan instead.
    It does cover a large area though, probably too big for your Lan box :\

11. Received thanks from:

mehmeh (07-01-2009)

Thanks

WOW! Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike.
    Googled that up and found this on their site. http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...-lite&area=usa
    Looks like its mounted in a Lanbox or they just ripped off TT for some design ideas . Note they say using the PSU fan too, deffo looking into that more. Guess for overclocking, like you say, a fan mounted on the underside would surely do the trick and the PSU would shift all that hot air out for me. hmmm, does look like its made for my case but all copper is gonna come with a price isnt it :|

Webby.

Read up a bit on the SI-128 and it looks a sqeeze horizontally but should go in. Issue again I think is the fan. Its supposedly a downdraft cooler. I understand what that is, but wondering how using a fan for updraft ( underneath pushing air through the fins or on top pulling air up through them) would effect its performance? (will cool the area around the CPU some other way I havent thought of yet). This is like the biggest issue I seem to have, once a fan is mounted, even the something like the SI-128 there is so little clearance, am concerned about airflow for a downdraft arrangement.
    The HR-01 3U warrants a little investigation, but we're down to breaking out a Micrometer and still a little concerned about dumping heat into the underside of the PSU housing?

Also awesome to know I didnt buy a lemon of a mobo as O/C was the furthest thing from my mind. Thanks for the offer and tip on the BIOS too which I didnt have a clue about but will try now, mind you last time I attempted an O/C was back in the day on an XP2500 Barton and £25 Sparkle mobo, which didnt work out so well LOL!

Lucky.

Its huge But would fit I think. I'd have to remove the two little 60mm exhaust fans but that may not be a problem as they will probably have to go anyway to allow the new coolers fan to do its job properly. Not in a mad rush either, so something to keep an eye out for some reviews off deffinetly.

Gonna do some more googling around on the suggested bits now anywho, looks like theres some life in the old girl yet and thanks again to all for the advice, love this site!.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I can't picture the innards of your case.

Where is the PSU in relation to the heatsink? Is it right on top of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

is it this model?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/T...ox_Lite/4.html

if so, I'd buy a heatsink with a fan in a shroud, so it can be reversed...ie NOT a fan that has no casing on it. Then I'd get a PSU with a massive fan on it's underside, and with that directly inline with the heatsink, and the heatsink fan SUCKING, and not blowing, you're sorted.

I've got two like that now...

a Silverstone Sugo and a Sugo SG03.

It works like a dream on both and it very quiet.

BUT NEITHER OF MY QUAD EXTREME 6700's are overclocked. Both are stock. (very cool too)

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

15. Received thanks from:

mehmeh (07-01-2009)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Thanks

Cheers for checking out the thread, Zak.

Yep thats the case and good to know I was on the right track thinking about using the PSU. Have one of the 700W FSP jobbies from Scan in there at the moment, 120mm fan on that makes some serious racket, so hopefully also shifts some serious air.
    If your saying that Akaska at £13 is cooling Quadie extremes @ stock then shouldnt break much of a sweat on the E4500 if I'm sensible about it (at 2.2ghz, even an increase to 2.5ghz would be welcome atm), might be worth a punt for £13 and seeing how far I get while continuing research into the more expensive stuff. Am very tempted after some more googling by the XP-120 though, only concern left with that is overhang off the top of the mobo which will measure up when I get a chance later.

Thanks again to all.

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I've got a TT Blueorb II fitted in my Lanbox.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by mehmeh View Post
    Cheers for checking out the thread, Zak.

Yep thats the case and good to know I was on the right track thinking about using the PSU. Have one of the 700W FSP jobbies from Scan in there at the moment, 120mm fan on that makes some serious racket, so hopefully also shifts some serious air.
    If your saying that Akaska at &#163;13 is cooling Quadie extremes @ stock then shouldnt break much of a sweat on the E4500 if I'm sensible about it (at 2.2ghz, even an increase to 2.5ghz would be welcome atm), might be worth a punt for &#163;13 and seeing how far I get while continuing research into the more expensive stuff. Am very tempted after some more googling by the XP-120 though, only concern left with that is overhang off the top of the mobo which will measure up when I get a chance later.

Thanks again to all.
    couple of things to consider.

That heatsink is ideal, so go for it. But it uses Intels' standard 4 pin attachement and so doesnt wana be going on and off more than a dozen times in it's life. (ie if you intend on fiddling with cpu's and thermal paste etc as I have in one of my rigs, then spend a lot more on something with metal clamps and brackets fitted behind the mobo, OCZ or similar). A Quad 6700 runs at 2.67 per core, and I can run that FOLDING on 3 cores and game on the 4th 24/7 with no effort.

Secondly... that fan shouldn't be too noisy... mine was dead quiet from a Corsair PSU. What model chap?

Does the fan have a thermal speed sensor? Maybe it's blocked with dust or summit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    couple of things to consider.

That heatsink is ideal, so go for it. But it uses Intels' standard 4 pin attachement and so doesnt wana be going on and off more than a dozen times in it's life. (ie if you intend on fiddling with cpu's and thermal paste etc as I have in one of my rigs, then spend a lot more on something with metal clamps and brackets fitted behind the mobo, OCZ or similar). A Quad 6700 runs at 2.67 per core, and I can run that FOLDING on 3 cores and game on the 4th 24/7 with no effort.

Secondly... that fan shouldn't be too noisy... mine was dead quiet from a Corsair PSU. What model chap?

Does the fan have a thermal speed sensor? Maybe it's blocked with dust or summit?
    Push pins fail couldnt agree more, but was hoping/assuming whatever I go with, I could use one of those bolt through kits? If I can't though its something too consider, cant see me having the attention span (or balls atm as cant afford to cook a CPU) to be constantly fiddling with taking something off and on to reduce temps and increase speed by small margins to find the absolute limit.

Long story but the planned HX520W ended up as one of these http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/700W-...W FSP700-80GLN nice today only bargain!l. Don't think I have a bad one, just noticably louder than the Xilence 420W cheapo rubbish it replaced, am yet to investigate why and may just be the way it is, as my Xilence was insanely quiet. Only had it a week, so don't think its dust/wear. Couldnt tell you if it has a sensor, is a basic/OEM unit and sounds like me like its at a constant speed.

Havent accomplised alot today, on account of sleeping most of it away hehe, but off now to hit up some reviews of that Akaska you suggested and measure for clearance at the top of the mobo like I meant to this morning. XP-120 doesnt appear to be stocked anywhere anymore, so thats on the backburner now.

On a side note, have a buyer for the Lanbox and would have a bit of change after buying a new case (still mATX but tower style for sure) to go towards a cooler. Not ready to give up yet though as even with all the grief it gives me, I lurve it!

Cheers for the continued help, mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information