Thread: need help with my setup

Registered+
    Thanks

need help with my setup

Hey there guys wasn wondering if anyone of you guys have my setup, ASUS P5Q Pro + Intel E5200 + OCZ 6400 4GB RAM (2x2GB) 800Mhz.. I'm finding difficulty using super pi to test stability, because at the moment all I've done really is change DRAM 1st Information channels to 5-5-5-18 and DRAM voltage to 1.9.. also AI overclocker tuner to manual but I kept it at 200, so it's 2.5ghz..

Whenever I run super pi even at 16K it just completely crashes, i dont get no msg box or anything, i have to completely close it.. however.. wen i run super pi on my laptop it runs perfect, I get success, "Pi calculations compleme". can anyone help me please. I wish to overclock so i need this to work and my system to be stable.

The links are:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel...B-Cache-Retail

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146049

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145751

Thanks
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

Re: need help with my setup

The memory voltage is too low. That memory requires 2.1volts at 5-5-5-18 you could try it at 2.0volts.

Registered+
    Thanks

i set it to 2.0 and the program worked at 16k in super pi but crashed in the rest... so i set it to 2.1 volts and it didn really affect it
    anyone hav any ideas?

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Using Vista?
    IIRC SuperPI doesn't work well on Vista. Not sure if that's X64 or X32 but I know it sometimes crashes on mine.

Registered+
    Thanks

yeah im running it on vista business 64 bit, I thought it might well be that it doesn't like vista, but I'm not sure to be honest. Is there any way to make it work? What settings would I need?

If not, what other program could I use to test efficiency, my friend told me to get Orthos, but he said only use that when ur confident ur system is stable, thats y i've been using super pi.. but i have yet to be successful. :S

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Yes you can run SuperPI. I'm running the XS mod one which tells you the times with more accuracy and there is a modified version of the XS one called HyperPI iirc which helps increase the programs stability (the programs not your systems as in it can auto disable a few services that cause SuperPI to crash when it runs the benchmark). Two services I remember are Audio and Theme services and there is a third I think.

Anyway if your system is running at stock then I dont see why you can't use Orthos
    Download a free tool called CoreTemp or Realtemp and CPU-Z so you can see your cpu speed and watch your CPU temps. Run Orthos for however long you deem the system to be stable. Common running times are x amount of hours but rarely over 24h. I just stress the system for around 1-4h if it's not overclocked.

You can use Orthos whenever as it's one of the ways you know your system is stable after running it. That's what it's used for.

Registered+
    Thanks

the only thing ive changed since building the system is the ram timings to 5-5-5-18 and ram voltage to 1.9 but now ive taken it to 2.1 and the program crashes.. it works only on 16K at the moment, is this a bad sign for my system, or is the program to blame?

P.S. I wish to overclock so i need it to be stable now so i can overclock.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

So it works with the mem at 1.9v but crashes when you run the program with the mem at 2.1v?
    Was this repeated successes of it working or just 1 test at 1.9v and thats (to you) was it working. Because it can crash or work randomly on Vista so you really can't use it to test stability.

I'm thinking it's the program to blame. Run orthos for a few hours with the error checking enabled (I think it's on by default) and if orthos is still running green then your system is stable and it's just superpi + vista messing up. You can download Memtest like I said and try that to see if it is your ram or if you dont like booting up tools download HCI Memtest and test portions of your ram in Windows.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah I used super pi wen my ram was on 1.9v however it worked a few times but crashed a few times.. i think the program is buggy on vista, il try it out on orthos.. what is memtest? i dont mind at boot up but does it tell me if my ram is dodgy?

I wanna test my ram to see if it's faulty.

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

http://www.memtest.org/

Burn it to a CD and boot from it let it run a couple of passes if it passes that then its reasonabley stable or you can check in windows using this program personally I would use both

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Orthos will also stress your memory but will not tell you if the test fails because of CPU or Memory instability.

Finally you may want to consider OCCT it is a stressing utiliy which will stress your CPU and your GPU it includes Linpack as well which will really stress your CPU and memory.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hsn_ View Post
    Yeah I used super pi wen my ram was on 1.9v however it worked a few times but crashed a few times..
    Well then it doesn't work proper on 1.9v either then. Do what Webby's suggested and run Memtest to see if your memory has errors. SuperPI is not a test of stability.

Thread Information