Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Server (NAS)

Thanks

Re: Linux Server (NAS)

TAKTAK, I'm still waiting for your list!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oimi View Post
    TAKTAK, I'm still waiting for your list!
    TakTak lists.

3. Received thanks from:

mycarsavw (20-03-2009),oimi (24-03-2009),TAKTAK (25-03-2009)

Thanks

Thanks

Just to clarify, the antenna for the PC is provided for access to my PC using the laptop.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Not quite sure wy you need a wireless card if you are going to connect to the router via Cat5. The laptop will connect to the wireless router that you mentioned in the first post.

I can't help thinking you are making a meal of this, for what is essentially a file server. Five years ago I threw together a PC to gain some Linux experience using an Asus bare bones system and an AMD 1.4 Ghz socket A processor. That now acts as a file server, a mail server, and a public webserver. It takes about 105 Watts when it is running. I added a simple RAID controller for RAID 1 and a low cost UPS for resiliance. The whoile set up probably cost about £300. I did add a Gigabit Lan card to the computers on the wired system to speed up file transfers.

I back up across the network to a tape drive (that is the expensive bit) but you could back up the DVD or Blu ray (also expensive at the moment).

Hot swapping is only genearlly of use for servers when uptime is paramount when you can hot swap a failing drive out of an array without poewering down.. You might find that useful for an external SATA drive if you are using that for backup, but I wouldn't bother - just use a drive in a USB2 caddy and back to that - if you must back up to a hard drive.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

7. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Not quite sure wy you need a wireless card if you are going to connect to the router via Cat5. The laptop will connect to the wireless router that you mentioned in the first post.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing. TBH can't remember as this thread has been going on for ages.

I can't help thinking you are making a meal of this, for what is essentially a file server. Five years ago I threw together a PC to gain some Linux experience using an Asus bare bones system and an AMD 1.4 Ghz socket A processor. That now acts as a file server, a mail server, and a public webserver. It takes about 105 Watts when it is running. I added a simple RAID controller for RAID 1 and a low cost UPS for resiliance. The whoile set up probably cost about £300. I did add a Gigabit Lan card to the computers on the wired system to speed up file transfers.
    Ahhh nice, I really should get into linux. I've got a pair of old/ancient machines that would be perfect linux testbeds.

I back up across the network to a tape drive (that is the expensive bit) but you could back up the DVD or Blu ray (also expensive at the moment).
    Oooo, show off. Tape drive eh?

Hot swapping is only genearlly of use for servers when uptime is paramount when you can hot swap a failing drive out of an array without poewering down.. You might find that useful for an external SATA drive if you are using that for backup, but I wouldn't bother - just use a drive in a USB2 caddy and back to that - if you must back up to a hard drive.
    Yup hot swapping is of no use in a home server role.

9. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

Not quite sure wy you need a wireless card if you are going to connect to the router via Cat5. The laptop will connect to the wireless router that you mentioned in the first post..
    Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing. TBH can't remember as this thread has been going on for ages.
    Just to clarify, the antenna for the PC is provided for access to my PC using the laptop.
    When I first set it up, it will be easiest to create a wireless network.

So what are your thoughts about the listed hardware anyway?

Thanks

You have a wireless router right? Your laptop is able to connect to the internet via the router, yes? Your desktop PC is wired into the router, right?

Then if you wire your home server into the router, then all 3 devices will be able to connect and interact with each other via the router.

12. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

Excellent, now what about hardware in terms of suitability and efficiency?

Thanks

When I first set it up, it will be easiest to create a wireless network.
    Not really - Wired networks are much easier to set up than wireless - just plug in and go. Wireless there is the faff of setting up encryption etc, and Wireless networks on Linux systems can be a bit hit and miss - a lot depends on the card and whether drivers are available for them. And as has been said (many times) you will take a massive operformance hit anyway - and for a file server LAN and disk performance is the most important criteria.

So what are your thoughts about the listed hardware anyway?
    Overkill IMHO. File serving s not a demanding application. As I said, I use a simple Socket A based AMD to do that, and run Postfix (mailserver) and Apache (Webserver). All you need is a low end processor and mobo, and a case with enough hard drive space in it. Mobo and processor you could probably do for around £120, add a case for about £25 and a decent PSU (about £40) and jobs done. A low end processor will use less power as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post

Oooo, show off. Tape drive eh?
    I bought it after I nearly suffered catastophic data loss (on a RAID 1 system) and was faced with a £350+ bill from a data recovery service. In the event I recovered everything myself, but as I was prepared to pay that, it seemed silly not to pay a bit more and get a decent backup system and avoid the risk in future. (And of course emphasised the point that RAID is NOT a substitute for backing up .

Excellent, now what about hardware in terms of suitability and efficiency?
    As above - Overkill
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

15. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

I'd try to source all the parts from one supplier, ideally Scan.

Also, can't help but feel that you are going a bit over the top with the motherboard. Something cheaper would be fine. £115 for a home server motherboard is overkill I think. Plenty of cheaper, and smaller options out there.

Everything else is fine.

17. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

This (or similar)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-...roductFeatures

Would be more than capable of doing what you want. Add in a low end processor, memory and DVD/Blu ray disc and its done. The real limitation is that lack of drive bays, but you can get two drives in there (with a 3.5" to 2.25" adapter) You might also want consider a better PSU (FSP do one that would fit) - and for RAID, don't bother with the mobo raid or a RAID controller, use the software raid built into many Linux Distros. However there is an expansion slot if you do want to use a RAID controller. Remember RAID is not a substitute for back up.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

19. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

The motherboard I listed was good for a number of reasons; the number of USB slots (with two internally connected to the motherboard for possibility of running OS from a thumb drive), the number of SATA connectors, the onboard graphics card (reduced power consumption), built in LAN and so on... I just want the right efficiency/power balance for reasonably optimum file transfer performance.

I will look into external backup solutions seperately.

Thanks

The motherboard I listed was good for a number of reasons; the number of USB slots (with two internally connected to the motherboard for possibility of running OS from a thumb drive), the number of SATA connectors, the onboard graphics card (reduced power consumption), built in LAN and so on... I just want the right efficiency/power balance for reasonably optimum file transfer performance.

I will look into external backup solutions seperately.
    The P5QL-CM has all that, and is mATX. You can get it for around £70.

With my setup, I peak at a transfer rate of 72 MB/s.

22. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

How many disk drives and USB ports do you need? The more disk drives you have the more power you use. Do you need more than two drives? Do you need more than 4 USB connectors? Its a server - it sits in the corner - serving. Why run the OS from a thumb drive? There is little point - the OS won't take up much space on the hard drive - and if you use LVM you get max flexibility anyway.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

24. Received thanks from:

oimi (24-03-2009)

Thanks

How many disk drives and USB ports do you need? The more disk drives you have the more power you use. Do you need more than two drives? Do you need more than 4 USB connectors? Its a server - it sits in the corner - serving. Why run the OS from a thumb drive? There is little point - the OS won't take up much space on the hard drive - and if you use LVM you get max flexibility anyway.
    Well the idea is that I want 2TB of usable space for storage of documents, music etc and some form of RAID setup for additional security. Then, I want additional space to backup image files of my PC so that I can recover without reinstalling anything. I also want to make backup images of the laptop and server.

As well as setting up a RAID array, I will have seperate storage in the form of an external backup drive which will also backup my files.

In total, including the drives currently installed in my PC I own:
    6 x 1TB HDDs
    2 x 750GB HDDs
    2 x 500GB HDDs

What I want is seperate HDDs for the operating system on the PC and file server, which obviously need to be a lot smaller than those listed above. The HDD for the PC would need to be a little bit bigger for installation of games, image editing applications etc.

I wasn't actively seeking that many USB connections, it was just a bonus.

LVM - Linux Virtual Machine? What's the point in running a virtual copy of Linux? That would require me to install a version of Windows or something else first in order to run that.

Thread Information