Thread: Advice on HDDs, DVD Burner and Enclosure

Thanks

Advice on HDDs, DVD Burner and Enclosure

Hi all, am new to the site (Hi!) and have a couple of questions about transferring from using a desktop as my main computer to my laptop.

I burn alot of DVDs and don't trust the internal drive on my laptop to do as good a job as my desktop internal drive. I want to get an external drive and need to know what drive is currently the best on offer. I have a pioneer 115D i think at the mo which has been great but i know theres been a few updates since then! I don't mind buying an internal and putting it in a case myself. What cases are good for this?

Also looking for probably 2 1TB hard drives to connect up as well to provide the same kind of storage i have in my desktop. It's either this or I go for a couple of 500GB laptop drives though i doubt ill be moving them about much.

To go with all this, i guess i'll be needing a usb hub, seeing as my laptop only has 2 usb ports lol.

If anyone can provide some advice on what's good in each of these areas and if there's anything i should particularly avoid in terms of burners or hard drives.

Cheers!
    Phil
    Last edited by PhilUK; 22-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.

handscombmp

Re: Advice on HDDs, DVD Burner and Enclosure

When it comes to internal Desktop DVD burners they're all much of a muchness in specs and price £15.

As for the HDD WD now have a 2TB HDD but thats over priced and your better to go for two 1Tb HDD's.

Thanks

Re: Advice on HDDs, DVD Burner and Enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by handscombmp View Post
    When it comes to internal Desktop DVD burners they're all much of a muchness in specs and price £15.

As for the HDD WD now have a 2TB HDD but thats over priced and your better to go for two 1Tb HDD's.
    Cool, think i may stick with pioneers as have had nothing but perfect operation from my current one for the last couple of years.

Definitely want to go for 1TB drives as don't want the risk of losing everything in one go if it fails. Any idea what drives are known for faults or good operation? Have been looking at the 1TB toshiba drives for around £70 which seem alright...

Phil

Thread Information