• Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Re: Air Cooling V Watercooling

Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung View Post
    Major concern with water cooling is when you don't cool the power regulators and ram. With semi-passive cooling (airflow near cpu cooler) ram will overheat. You have to put fan to cool these stuff (or void warranty by replacing the memory cooler)

IMO, buying water cooling for quiet is a good choice, but buying water cooling for overclocking is a big no-no. Many parts don't produce a lot of heats but have low cooling rate will eventually overheat without at least some airflow from air cooling.
    I don't cool my RAM - and I haven't in er.. 5 years of watercooling. There's enough airflow from case fans to deal with that and more of concern is the temperature of things like mosfets. Most modern MBs have good heatpipes on these anyway (or you can pop waterblocks on them instead). Asus provide a small fan to fit on the mosfet cooler for watercooling users.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Ram as in DDR2 or Mosfets? Really you never need to cool your ram unless you're overclocking it alot. Most of them never get hot anyway, but my Ballistix ones did but all that needed was an aftermarket memory cooler and that was it sorted.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

IMO, buying water cooling for quiet is a good choice, but buying water cooling for overclocking is a big no-no. Many parts don't produce a lot of heats but have low cooling rate will eventually overheat without at least some airflow from air cooling.
    I agree with your last statement but completely disagree with the part I've highlighted in bold. A true enthusiast water cooling loop would include replacement blocks for all the main components including the PWM's, North/South Bridges, and even the RAM. Most water solutions include some form of active fan cooling, the difference is the fans can usually be set to lower speeds since there's less heat build up around the CPU area (redirected to radiators). Blasting hot air from the CPU onto passive heatsinks isn't my idea of effective cooling.

I run 9 x 120mm fans in my case. Four are mounted on the dual radiators, another 4 are used for intake from the front (with one blowing across the HDD's) and one for direct exhaust out the back above the I/O plate. All fans are connected to fan controllers which set their RPM to near inaudible levels.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

With semi-passive cooling (airflow near cpu cooler) ram will overheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    Blasting hot air from the CPU onto passive heatsinks isn't my idea of effective cooling.
    A most apt and concise reply

I think my HTPC must be the worst-case scenario for heat circulation, since both the CPU and GPU coolers blow internally, and it has no case fans: only the 120mm fan on the PSU for generating airflow. And I've never had my RAM overheat in that. I fail to see how a case with 1 120mm fan and most of the CPU & GPU heat being pumped straight into a rad could possibly be worse...

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

Sorry, I was actually trying to say if people trying to do massive overclock while keeping the system silent, then water cooling is pointless.

Water cooling + Active cooling on components are perfectly fine, but won't be quieter than a normal air-cooled system. In particular those ram/chipset cooler with 4cm/6cm fans.

Blasting hot air from the CPU onto passive heatsinks isn't my idea of effective cooling.
    Sucking cool air through ram into CPU heatsink
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Banned
    Thanks

If buying a Good air cooler that is both efficient and can use a quiet fan. which one would you go for?

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1stfret View Post
    If buying a Good air cooler that is both efficient and can use a quiet fan. which one would you go for?
    TRUE, or that one that the ex-Thermalright employers just made or the Noctua 12P one. The best fans are ones with alot of static pressure meaning they can force air through the heatsink better. For example fans with higher static pressure will have more air coming out the other side of the heatsink than ones with less static pressure at the same CFM rating etc. I'd get a 38mm fan (chunky but good CFM and quieter than 25mm fans) to put on the heatsink.

Good fan makes are Noctua, Scythe, Zalman, Sharkoon, Nexus, Yate Loon, Sanyo Denki (Expensive!), Panaflo, ADDA, Sunon, NMB

The last few starting from Sanyo are rarer ones and you don't really find them in average systems because they're industry standard fans designed to last long hence the price. The Noctuas and the Scythes are a bit expensive too (maybe £10-15 a fan) but they're still good, it's because they push a decent amount of air for the noise they make.

All depends on how much your budget is for the heatsink+fan

Thanks

well,

people say that watercooling is more expensive than air - but i disagree.

The reason I disagree is because every motherboard nowadays has mounting holes, you can move your watercooling setup from system to system.

back in the day i brought an xp90c for £40, and the thermalright cooler for the 8800gtx too - gave me good temps, but i had to rely on reasonably well powered fans.

i moved to c2duo, and had to buy another air cooler.

water is fun......if you are sensible, you wont have a single problem with it, it runs cooler, and quieter than any fan setup.

you can use universal blocks for gfx and cpu nowadays, and get brilliant temps with reasonable radiator-age.

price wise, check on the 'bay.

i brought my cpu block, and pump from tom at chilledpc, but the rad i got off forums. at the time i brought masterkleer tubing from tom too, but now i have 15m odd of tygon sitting waiting for me to find the time to use it.

its better for your ears, your components run cooler, and you get much better overheads with your overclocks.

win-win!

recently off forums, i got a ddc1+ 18w pump for £25, rad for £25, and just brought an xspc delta v3 for £30 - add to this the tubing i already have (and the extra two radiators ive got sitting around), i can watercool a second pc (or run a second loop in my system should i wish!)
    Intel q6600 3.6ghz
    Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi
    4Gb OCZ ReaperX at 1000Mhz
    768Mb BFG 8800GTX
    2xWD1001FALS in RAID0
    Dtek Fuzion / 2xPA120.2 / DDC01Ultra+PetrasTech top / EK 8800GTX FC Block
    Audigy 2ZS
    Thermaltake Mozart TX

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5aboy View Post
    well,

The reason I disagree is because every motherboard nowadays has mounting holes, you can move your watercooling setup from system to system.

back in the day i brought an xp90c for £40, and the thermalright cooler for the 8800gtx too - gave me good temps, but i had to rely on reasonably well powered fans.

water is fun......if you are sensible, you wont have a single problem with it, it runs cooler, and quieter than any fan setup.

you can use universal blocks for gfx and cpu nowadays, and get brilliant temps with reasonable radiator-age.

i brought my cpu block, and pump from tom at chilledpc, but the rad i got off forums. at the time i brought masterkleer tubing from tom too, but now i have 15m odd of tygon sitting waiting for me to find the time to use it.

its better for your ears, your components run cooler, and you get much better overheads with your overclocks.

win-win!

recently off forums, i got a ddc1+ 18w pump for £25, rad for £25, and just brought an xspc delta v3 for £30 - add to this the tubing i already have (and the extra two radiators ive got sitting around), i can watercool a second pc (or run a second loop in my system should i wish!)
    So, what temps are you getting then? Ta

Thanks

I now run a q6600 at 3.6ghz, 1.35vid.

i get temps of idle 20-25C, and load 33-35C - thats with my setup in my sig, with the fans running at the lowest voltage they can.
    Intel q6600 3.6ghz
    Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi
    4Gb OCZ ReaperX at 1000Mhz
    768Mb BFG 8800GTX
    2xWD1001FALS in RAID0
    Dtek Fuzion / 2xPA120.2 / DDC01Ultra+PetrasTech top / EK 8800GTX FC Block
    Audigy 2ZS
    Thermaltake Mozart TX

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5aboy View Post
    well,

win-win!

If the socket changes you will need new mounting hardware if you are on air or water. (backwards compatible don't count)

Watercooling is much more expensive than air.

Watercooling is more fun though

Resident Hexus Folder Golden Dragoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Golden Dragoon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • 1045T X6@ 4.0ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 64GB Crucial M4 + 500GB & 2TB Deskstars
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Infiniti
      • Operating System:
      • 7 + OS X

put simply on water I have been able to overclock by an aditional 50% and use higher voltages and still maintain temps that are a couple of degrees cooler than I was getting on air.
    However it is expensive to set up, and if it ever springs a leak than it can ruin your entire pc, if an air cooler fails you pc will shut down rather than blow up lol.
    *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Churchill
    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Sorry, I was actually trying to say if people trying to do massive overclock while keeping the system silent, then water cooling is pointless.

Water cooling + Active cooling on components are perfectly fine, but won't be quieter than a normal air-cooled system. In particular those ram/chipset cooler with 4cm/6cm fans.

Sucking cool air through ram into CPU heatsink
    I still disagree. Water (or phased cooling) is the only way to go if you want aggressive overclocking and silence. There's only so much surface area you can get with a pure HSF combination over the CPU. You could use powerful, silent pumps to drive an external, multiple radiator solution in passive form if whisper quiet was your aim. Water is far from pointless in this case. In fact, I would say pure air cooling would be pointless.

For air to achieve the same as a water solution, the fans generally have to run faster to achieve the same level of cooling (surface area and all that). So yes, a water solution WILL be quieter, even when using a lot of fans since they can be run at (far) lower speeds to achieve the same temperatures.

Sucking cool air through the RAM? The CPU fan is usually several inches from the RAM. For the CPU airflow to make any significant difference would require the fan to be either huge or spinning at very audible speeds.

I don't want to come off as pro-water but the fact is, if money is not an option, air can't compete. It's the same as water versus phased cooling, the later will win every time when cost isn't an issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information