Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 33 to 38 of 38

Thread: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

  1. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,519
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    236 times in 200 posts

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    Ditto. Back in 2004-ish, Antec and Enermax seemed to be the brand I heard the most whenever I looked up PSU. PC Power & Cooling got serious mentions too, but typically in US centric forums, and as far as I know, they could not be easily found here at the time.

    I only started coming across the Seasonic brand a year or two later when I started paying attention to system noise. Oddly, Seasonic is *much* older (probably older most forum members here) than Enermax. But its only around that time I started hearing it mentioned more.

    Q-Tech eh? Isn't that the infamous cheapy PSU from Ebuyer? 600W at £25 when a reputable 400W PSU would cost north of £80? I am pretty sure it got quite a few mentions here on Hexus, known as the PSU that would most likely blow up and take the rest of the system with it

  2. #34
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    As far as the Infiniti goes (and the Galaxy), they did seem to have high failure rates.
    For some reason, these two models were a bit of a white elephant.

    With the MODU+ and Revolution series though, it has planted Enermax right back at the top of the best PSUs around.

    Toonice:
    PC P&C PSUs were great machines.
    Unfortunately OCZ got their hands on them and they havent made a top class PSU since the Powerstreams a few years ago.

  3. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked
    151 times in 132 posts
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Q-Tech eh? Isn't that the infamous cheapy PSU from Ebuyer? 600W at £25 when a reputable 400W PSU would cost north of £80? I am pretty sure it got quite a few mentions here on Hexus, known as the PSU that would most likely blow up and take the rest of the system with it
    Exactly! And yet his one is still going strong after all these years.

    Blitzen, The Enermax Coolergiants also had high failure rates IIRC. I'm not saying that every PSU made by Enermax is Rubbish or likely to fail but, It does knock peoples confidence buying a brand if it is known to fail and they are at the higher end of the price range.

  4. #36
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    It does knock peoples confidence buying a brand if it is known to fail and they are at the higher end of the price range.
    I agree. It may well put me off aswell.

    I cetainly believe 100% though that the MODU+ and the new Revolution series are a cut above anything else on offer at the moment.

  5. #37
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    I know when I built my 939 system a few years back I used a Hiper Power 580w Type R Modular. I know that got a few bad reviews and apparently was prone to failing.

    The one I bought is still going happily in my friends business and it's switched on pretty much 24/7 and has been for the last four (ish) years.

    You win some you lose some eh. Power supplies aren't as cheap as I remember them! Seems you have to spend >£100 these days.

  6. #38
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    19,381
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Exactly! And yet his one is still going strong after all these years.

    Blitzen, The Enermax Coolergiants also had high failure rates IIRC. I'm not saying that every PSU made by Enermax is Rubbish or likely to fail but, It does knock peoples confidence buying a brand if it is known to fail and they are at the higher end of the price range.
    But you don't know who actually makes the PSU (I doubt Enermax do - but I am willing to be corrected) so it depends on te spec Enermax gave the OEM, and whether the OEM built them (and tested them) to Enermax's specifuication.

    The problem is that while a cheap PSU may be poor quality (because there is the drive to keep down the price) there is no gurantee that an expensive one is high quality - it could be cheap and nasty priced up.

    Basically (unless you have your own testing facilities) you have to go by brand and reputation, becayuse the better the brand reputation, the more the brand owner will want to protect it. A reputation hard one is easily lost, and hard to replace. Reputable brands will do more to ensure that quality standards are maintained.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  7. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked
    151 times in 132 posts
    • Sputnik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • J&W 790GX Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 720be
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2-6400
      • PSU:
      • Enermax

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But you don't know who actually makes the PSU (I doubt Enermax do - but I am willing to be corrected) so it depends on te spec Enermax gave the OEM, and whether the OEM built them (and tested them) to Enermax's specifuication.

    The problem is that while a cheap PSU may be poor quality (because there is the drive to keep down the price) there is no gurantee that an expensive one is high quality - it could be cheap and nasty priced up.

    Basically (unless you have your own testing facilities) you have to go by brand and reputation, becayuse the better the brand reputation, the more the brand owner will want to protect it. A reputation hard one is easily lost, and hard to replace. Reputable brands will do more to ensure that quality standards are maintained.
    Ok let me Re-phrase that -I'm not saying that every PSU with an Enermax badge, box and price tag is Rubbish or likely to fail but, It does knock peoples confidence buying a brand if it is known to fail and they are at the higher end of the price range.

    It's commonly known that computer parts are manufactured and badged for different market prices.

    It could well be that Enermax gave the high level spec to the manufacturer and they produced something of a lesser standard or it is possible that Enermax themselves were trying to shave a few pennies off the cost of production. Which ever way - the end result is not good for the consumer.

  8. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,519
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    236 times in 200 posts

    Re: Enermax Infiniti Dies on 2nd Birthday

    AFAIK, Enermax, do make their own PSU. Unless various online sources are wrong, which is plausible of course, but I would have expected at least one source to have stated otherwise then.

    The way I see it, unless the failures are almost epidemic (IBM Deathstar being a prime example), a good brand is not going to be damaged that easily by the odd failure because those can always be brushed off as the odd one out (which may, or may not be the case).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Win Prizes with Scan and Enermax
    By Lee H in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-03-2009, 09:56 AM
  2. Dual PSU Problems, 2nd PSU clicks and stops...
    By WLC-1989 in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 12:44 PM
  3. Price Check on these... for the mo
    By Carbine in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
  4. Enermax Infiniti 650 - questions regarding "rails"
    By Barrichello in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •