Thread: difference between Shuttle's?

Registered+
    Thanks

difference between Shuttle's?

hey guys

I am new to all this SSF business... am just wondering, where do I start?! I basically want to know the main differences between all the models.

I don't play games much, so don't need something too powerful.

thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'll 'av a look in the "compare" chart in the FAQ...

joe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chet

I don't play games much, so don't need something too powerful.

...........that word,"much"!.............I've said it before but what the Hell......it's like saying "I want a little car,nothing fancy,that will occasionally go at 200 mph"

Gaming is what pushes computer performance forwards...you dont need anything fancy to do most anything on a computer except gaming,occasional or otherwise.

If you really dont want to game you can build a really nice rig for not very much at all......the minute you add in gaming the price goes up conciderably.

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeh I was actually thinking about what I wrote on there the other night...

Well I don't play games at the moment, for 2 reasons:

(1) I'm not really intrested in them
    (2) I've not really had a powerful enough processor to run any.

If I were to get a shuttle, I'd probably like to play something. Maybe something like a mario brothers-type game. I do have a 128 MB video card here I will be using.
    Last edited by chet; 24-03-2004 at 03:03 PM.

joe
    Thanks
    Ok....you dont say which flavour CPU you have or want......AMD is the cheaper option.
    You have a graphics card to start with so no onboard graphics is an option.
    The SN45G is on offer at quite a few places for about £100 plus and would be a very good starting point for Shuttle ownership......its future upgradeability (!) with an nforce2 mobo is very good......with the right ingredients it can really be made to rock and roll.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm thinking AMD. Been happy with AMD in the past. I've researched a little, and have deceided on SN41G(2). But I have some more questions:

SN41Gx-specific questions

- SN41G / SN41G2 / SN41G2V2 - differences? (I'll be using my own video card. If no video out is the only difference, that's cool).
    - this seems to be the only AMD model available with the round buttons on the front. Am I right? (I don't need the power of the AMD Athlon64)
    - it says this on the review on this site "Supports Socket 462 for AMD processors (200FSB, 266FSB, 333FSB)"... what is FSB?
    - would I bother using a gfx card if the on-board one (G2) is so good?
    - in the "cons" of the review conclusion it says "no voltage adjustments". What do I need these for?

general shuttle questions

- How does the 6-channel sound work?
    - am I beng foolish in only looking at AMD-capable shuttle's?
    - the MB in shuttle's are upgradable, aren't they?

Thanks
    Chet

There is no SN41G do you mean SK41G. The SK41G uses a VIA KM266 chipset. This only supports a 266FSB. To answer another of your questions, FSB is Front Side Bus. This is the speed of the bus between your processor and memory. The higher the number the better.
    The SN41G2 and SN41G2V2 are the same; the only difference is that the V2 has a new and quieter 250watt PSU. The original SN41G2 has a 200watt PSU. If you want to install a power hungry graphics card, install an additional hard disk or want a quieter system go for the V2, otherwise 200watts is enough. When the SN41G2V2 becomes available retailers will discount the original SN41G2. The SN41G2s uses a Nvidia chipset and supports up to 333FSB. It also supports dual channel memory. To use this feature you need 2 identical memory DIMMs.

You mention you have a 128MB video card. You haven’t said what type it is, but as it has 128MB memory and must be fairly new I’d be surprised if it didn’t easily outperform the onboard graphics.

The voltage adjustments for overclocking the system. If you don’t know what FSB is DON’T try overclocking.

For 6-channel audio on the SN41G2 you have 3 sockets. Green for Front left and right, Blue for rear left and right, Red for centre and subwoofer. What is sent to each channel depends on how the audio is encoded.

AMD processors represent good value for money compared to Intel. The Intel based Shuttles also tend to have a higher price. It’s your money you choose.

The mobos are unlikely to be upgradeable in the future because as processors, graphics cards etc get faster, they get hotter and require more power. Upgrading power and cooling in a Shuttle is a lot more difficult than in a standard tower PC. It would end up cheaper to buy a new Shuttle.

I agree with Joe go for the SN45G, you already have a graphics card. The SN45G looks a lot better in the flesh than in the pictures.

Limegreenzx

Registered+
    Thanks
    The best bangs for the buck right now are AMD's XP (2500?) and Intel's 2.4c. Get last year's hot video card and the best memory you can afford.

If integrated video is important to you, the two best choices in my opinion are the SN41G2 and ST61G4. Or, if you're not interested in an AGP card of any color, then perhaps the Zen is what you'll want.

No, IGP wanted? Then maybe the SN45G or SB65G2...
    70 hours a week is not enough

Registered+
    Thanks
    Got my mind set on AMD methinks.

No, IGP wanted?
    IGP = Integrated Video Processor? Nah I don't think I'll be wanting one, but I don't want the SN45G (don't like the design).

The card I have is a xx Radeon 64MB actually. I was given it, that's why I wasn't so sure what it was. I can get more details if you want.

Think I got my mind set on SN41G2

Now, I got a question re: FSB. Isn't 33 MHz quite a bit lower than many other models of XPC? (See SFF Matrix). I am still a little confused with FSB. So if my FSB only supports up to 333 MHz, my processor must also be =< 333 MHz?

Also, I was looking on the shuttle site, and it seems there's a SN41G2V2 and a SN41G2B. What's the diff?

Thanks

I am still a little confused with FSB. So if my FSB only supports up to 333 MHz, my processor must also be =< 333 MHz?
    Correct but that lets you use upto & incl. an XP3000+

Also, I was looking on the shuttle site, and it seems there's a SN41G2V2 and a SN41G2B. What's the diff?

V2 has 250W PSU & B has a black case

Registered+
    Thanks
    ok so 333 is almost "current". What's better than that? (I mean, what CPU's above 3000+)

these code names for the models is sooo confusing. thanks,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chet
    ok so 333 is almost "current". What's better than that? (I mean, what CPU's above 3000+)

these code names for the models is sooo confusing. thanks,
    There are only 2 - a 400fsb version of the XP3000+ & the 3200+ is 400fsb.

"I don't play games much, so don't need something too powerful."
    What do you intend to use it for?
    Doesn't sound like you need an XP3000+ or XP3200+.
    Last edited by BUFF; 27-03-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    oh no way do I need a 3000+ / 3200+!

Will be mostly using for:

- dvd burning
    - internet
    - programing (Java)
    - some games - if I have the power, better use it.
    - recording tv shows with tv tuner card
    - music production (eg. Reason, Cubase)

I'm teaching myself about currnt processors - I don't really know much..
    Last edited by chet; 27-03-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Thread Information