Thread: Acer Aspire Revo - Did any 1 actually get a ssd drive??

Thanks

Acer Aspire Revo - Did any 1 actually get a ssd drive??

hi,

ive been reading up on a few other forums loads of people have confirmed they order the £150 version of the Acer Aspire Revo.. but actually after investigation (and a bit of knowledge) they where found to have a 160 hd inside...

ive started this thread to ask.. if any1 can confirm if they bought the linux version and found a 160 drive..

ive just ordered 1 the linux version from play.com...

also i ordered a media remote £6.00, and extra 1gb ram for 9.99.

then plan to but a usb tv tuner not sure which 1 yet and run media centre on windows 7,

hopefully it'll be a great lil system.

Thanks

Re: Acer Aspire Revo - Did any 1 actually get a ssd drive??

I guess you receieved it by now? I got the 160gb version from play despatched 18/6. Personally I'm running ubuntu and xbmc/Aeon and am well chuffed with it!

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    I guess you receieved it by now? I got the 160gb version from play despatched 18/6. Personally I'm running ubuntu and xbmc/Aeon and am well chuffed with it!
    Does it handle 1080p content alright?
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    Does it handle 1080p content alright?
    yeah supersmooth, around 10-15% CPU load normally (using VDPAU) with a video source of upto around 20mbps vid(x264)+1.5mbps audio (DTS). There are vids on youtube showing it playing HD eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

/edit I forgot to add this is with it upgraded it to 2gb and 512mb allocated to video in the BIOS
    Last edited by dmuz; 01-07-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks

hi yeah i did get it.. 160 drive is decent running win 7 and media centre...

having problems displaying the right res with my 32 panasonic tv through the hdmi..... i gave up on that.. using the vga (looks better anyway) only thing is i have to have a audio cable and the ports at the front!

all in all worth they money... i use it as a media centre / downloading mule rather than leaving my macbook open

along side a xbox flashed 360 i have the entertainment covered

Thanks

i fancy getting one of these, i read about a few problems with hdmi on ebuyer though, but the tv i want to use it on has VGA. there was mention of problems getting it to install xp though, as it's a sata drive and the drivers aren't on xp by default

is it easy to upgrade the ram? i've heard some netbooks are fiddly as parts are glued or soldered in

also, i presume the harddrive is a standard 2.5" ? does it look like it's easy to take this out and replace it with a bigger size if you wanted? perhaps you could take the drive out, stick it in a usb caddy, install xp on it, then the drivers and stick it back inside. i'd rather use xp than vista, but i suppose for media playback and websurfing vista might be fine as long as it can handle HD stuff. i fancy getting the external blueray drive to match with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    is it easy to upgrade the ram? i've heard some netbooks are fiddly as parts are glued or soldered in
    No harder than upgrading a laptop. One screw underneath a sticker on the base then run you fingernail along the join all round to pop it open. Memory slots are right there on top for easy access.

also, i presume the harddrive is a standard 2.5" ? does it look like it's easy to take this out and replace it with a bigger size if you wanted? perhaps you could take the drive out, stick it in a usb caddy, install xp on it, then the drivers and stick it back inside. i'd rather use xp than vista, but i suppose for media playback and websurfing vista might be fine as long as it can handle HD stuff. i fancy getting the external blueray drive to match with it
    Yes, 2.5" sata, it's sitting right next to the memory slot when you open so it looked pretty easy to change (although I didn't). No idea if it is good enough to play HD in windows - you might want to check that. If you want to install Linux+XBMC there is a good guide here - I'm a linux noob and managed it no probs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmuz View Post
    No harder than upgrading a laptop. One screw underneath a sticker on the base then run you fingernail along the join all round to pop it open. Memory slots are right there on top for easy access.

Yes, 2.5" sata, it's sitting right next to the memory slot when you open so it looked pretty easy to change (although I didn't). No idea if it is good enough to play HD in windows - you might want to check that. If you want to install Linux+XBMC there is a good guide here - I'm a linux noob and managed it no probs.
    thanks for that. it sounds like the thing i'm after. i have an external drive with esata with videos on it, so that would plug straight into it and the hdmi or vga straight into my LCD, and hide it around the back and use a wireless keyboard. being able to upgrade HD's in the future when bigger capacity drives drop to peanuts is also good (load it up with mp3s and use it as a jukebox). i think i would stick with xp and media player classic/VLC and winamp though, and firefox for internet, as it would be the ideal emergency machine to run other apps on. most of the stuff i'd play would be SD, some would be 720p MKV files, few would be proper 1080p material. being able to play bluray makes it future proof a bit more, but i have a pc in the living room that can handle all that with a bigger screen/better setup. it's just the old xbox can't handle 720p stuff properly, so the revo would be a replacement for that. i'd still keep the xbox as it's fantastic for doing what it does, the media centre skin looks great and works like a charm too, i prefer it to the real xp media centre edition as you don't have to load media into a playlist to play it (the drawback to itunes too)

Thanks

Not sure about installing XP on it as I cant seem to find drivers for the nVidia ION for XP.
    But the windows vista premium I have handles HD movies just fine. Althought, it has to be in a player that supports GPU off load such as powerDVD or media player classic.
    However I have installed beta version of windows 7 as the Revo I bought allows me a free upgrade when its released in oct.
    And the whole OS supports GPU off load so I am able to watch all kinds of HD movies in windows media player or the meida centre. Happy Days!

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

As Acer aren't shipping any with a SSD, can you hear the HD in these things?

Is there any other fan in them that you can hear?

What is the heat like?

Thinking about a basic one to use as a MediaPortal client in the kitchen. Would prefer it to be totaly silent.

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by aaen3000 View Post
    Not sure about installing XP on it as I cant seem to find drivers for the nVidia ION for XP.
    Really? I checked here, selected ION as the product type and found audio, graphic and chipset drivers - all for XP too.
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thread Information