Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home build not working. tryed everything???

Registered+
    Thanks

home build not working. tryed everything???

hi there

ive re-built my comp, pritty much a new pc. everything powers on, all fans spin, hd spins (but doesnt boot by the sound of it), however on the moniter i get NOTHING. just "NO SIGNAL", the light is on orrange for standby. ive literaly replaced every component near enough. ive used

ati 4870 / 7950gt
    p5b deluxe / p5vd2-mx se
    e6700 / pentium D 3.2GHz
    xms2 ddr2 800mhz ram / cheap 667 ram
    2 differnt hard drives. 1 with old os, 1 brand new. currently none pluged in

the 1s b4 the / are the new items, the 1s after are the old, working pulls from my old build. psu is a 720w hiper type R.

ive rebuild this system several times..... same result every time. im using the moniter from my old build, which worked fine, but even with ALL the old components put back, still no signal

ive put both the 4 pin, cpu power cables in, both 6 pin gfx card cables, the big eatx cable (or watever its called) is in. ive gone though all the connections to make sure they are all in tight, still no luck. ive tryed clearing my cmos, even left it overnight. ive used the onboard gfx on my old crappy mobo, same result.

the only thing ive got left to try, is to find another moniter, and try that. im pritty sure this wont help as it was working b4 i started messing with my computor.......

any help would be greatly appreciated...... ive been close to putting my foot through it a few times

so to summerise

pc worked fine - changed all the compenents, now it doesnt - changed all the old ones back in, still cant get it to work

thanks in advance

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: home build not working. tryed everything???

build it out of the case using only parts needed to boot, ie VGA card CPU and RAM

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Is it the same one as in this thread > http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...eo-singal.html

Have you tried all the suggestions?
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    Is it the same one as in this thread > http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...eo-singal.html

Have you tried all the suggestions?
    indeed. thats my post from when i first started having problems. concensus (sp?) there was a dead mobo. but ive built it with my old, working one now, and still no luck.

the other sugestions centered around me having a case speaker..... which i dont im on a half hearted hunt for one atm

Thanks

Have you check that the Cmos reset button is not on? Also tried resetting the CMOS?
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H,Phenom II X4 960T Unlocked to X6, 8GB Corsair DDR3, OCZ 90GB SSD and Samsung 1TB HDD, HP LP2475w , HD5850 , SA-VE2M Speakers, Pioneer Amp

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Reading your post again, are the drives SATA or IDE and are the jumpers set correctly and (if IDE) the cables the right way round - red stripe next to the power connection of the HDD

Quote Originally Posted by new boy View Post
    indeed. thats my post from when i first started having problems. concensus (sp?) there was a dead mobo. but ive built it with my old, working one now, and still no luck.

the other sugestions centered around me having a case speaker..... which i dont im on a half hearted hunt for one atm
    I have a pile of case speakers but I wont be in work until Wednesday if you can wait that long.

If you're interested check the mobo pinouts and let me know what type of speaker you need. Drop me a PM with your address in and I'll post it out.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    Reading your post again, are the drives SATA or IDE and are the jumpers set correctly and (if IDE) the cables the right way round - red stripe next to the power connection of the HDD

I have a pile of case speakers but I wont be in work until Wednesday if you can wait that long.

If you're interested check the mobo pinouts and let me know what type of speaker you need. Drop me a PM with your address in and I'll post it out.
    thats a very kind offer, and a thank you for it. however im in the uk. i presume your in the us? im gratefull for the offer tho.

the both drives are sata ones. ive not got one pluged in atm tho. id be happy just to see it post post

Thanks

The majority of HEXUS is UK, I also believe mycarsavw is too
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky

thats a very kind offer, and a thank you for it. however im in the uk. i presume your in the us? im gratefull for the offer tho.

the both drives are sata ones. ive not got one pluged in atm tho. id be happy just to see it post post
    As the man above says, I'm in the UK.

Registered+
    Thanks

ah right

i was under the impression that this was a mainly us site..... not quite sure where i got tha idea from lol

Thanks

The fact you can't get your old setup functioning again is somewhat of a concern. I was thinking of a few possibles until you mentioned that in your post.

Two possibles I can offer.

1. The only common component I can see is the PSU. There's a possibility it may have failed through static or simply shorting during you rebuild but at the same time it may have blown the fuse in your power lead.
    a) Build a setup minus drives - just enough to get to the BIOS and use a different power lead to test it.
    b) Borrow a different PSU but also with either a different power lead or one with a brand new fuse and try that.
    I have been in this situation before, including buying a new mboard only to discover PSU 1 had blown and taken lead 1 with it. So when I had tried PSU 2 with lead 1 nothing happened and I blamed the board! Oops

2. Ensure the gfx card is seated correctly.
    You don't mention which case you have. I have an old now-unused case which is not square between the slots and motherboard tray. If you place certain addin cards into slot close to the gfx card - as you tighten the screws it lifts the gfx card out of the slot enough to prevent it displaying.
    Be absolutely sure it's in place.

If I think of anything else I'll add it. Meantime if you get new symptoms please post them.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

Perhaps a bent pin on a cable (monitor?) somewhere?

Registered+
    Thanks

hmmmm

the case i got is a cheap and chearfull x blade one. so it wouldnt suprise me if it was part of the problem. but then it worked before.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=16834

ive errrrr. modded it by cutting an extra fan hole in the bays where the cd drives go . done before the problems btw.

i hope its not the psu that was damn expencive when i got it

i think i might play around with a test bed / other moniter tomorow. i cant face looking @ it atm

Thanks

i hope its not the psu that was damn expencive when i got it
    You have my sympathies if it is the PSU. I've despaired at the rising price of PSU's over the years because of the number of failures I've seen.
    In my experience cheap PSU's perform as well as you'd expect (I had one fail with a split fan after 14mths!) but equally I've had failures right from my first PC through to a £70+ Tagan.
    While many die from employing cheap fans which fail causing the PSU to cook, I had one die last week because of bad earthing to an Aluminium case it seems.

Fingers-crossed it's not!
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Registered+
    Thanks

hi guys.

problem is now sorted so i thought id tie up this thread in case sum1 brings it up in a search or wateva.

it turns out it WAS the motherboard...... i built the old one outside the case with cpu and ram and it posted. tryed it with the "new" one and it did not. installed the old one in the case and is currently working fine. im not sure why it didnt work the last time i tryed a reinstall the old motherboard....... just me being a spoon i guess lol

hope i dont have any problems trying to return in on ebay..... its been a while lol.

my e6700 is just CRYING out to be overclocked...... currrenly idoling @ 20c with a aftermarket heastsink :O ive seen 19c a few times. i think this chips a beast

im just going to call this time a learning experience. from never having built a pc b4, to building the same one about 7 times, ive learnt a lot lol.

ive now got to pick myself up a new board. going to go 2nd hand of ebay again (ill never learn) any ideas for a cheap overclocking baord???? as was mentioned in the old thread the pb5's only suport pci-e v1 or wateva its called...... so i might have dodged a bullit there, mite bottleneck my HD4870......

id like to thank all that tryed to help me, especialy mycarsavw for his very kind offer.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L was a good cheap overclocking motherboard a while back.Of course it had the same issue that all P31 based motherboards had - the motherboard was stable with only two of the RAM slots filled.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...yte_gap31ds3l/

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=2183&page=4

Newer choices would be the P43 based EP43-DS3L and EP43-UD3L:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...uy-july-2009/2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information