Thread: Fitted new Ram and it's messed up PC!

Registered+
    Thanks

Fitted new Ram and it's messed up PC!

Hello all,

I decided a few days ago to fit some new RAM in my old PC, pc133 double sided (the correct type for my motherboard). I took out the old 128mb stick and replaced it with a 512mb stick, started up the PC and before windows XP loaded a blue screen appeared, stating that windows will not start up because it would damage my computer. I proceed to cut the power and take out the RAm replacing it back with the old mem stick. Now the computer will not startup! I press the power button, it waits a few secs and then continusously beeps :S nowthing appears on the monitor - doesn't reach boot stage. What's wrong? Is this a common probblem, I only fitted some RAM !

Thankyou all :d

Thanks
    What is the beep sequence - e.g. one short beep repeated several times. They should tell you what the problem is.

What motherboard do you have?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    looks like your old mobo doesn't support 512 per slot, maybe the max is only 256. I had the exact problem with my p3 system sometime ago..

if you per the other ram back in does it go back to normal???
    foobar2K->Compass->Meridian502/557->B&W802

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ady168uk
    looks like your old mobo doesn't support 512 per slot, maybe the max is only 256. I had the exact problem with my p3 system sometime ago..

if you per the other ram back in does it go back to normal???
    =====================================================

They said they fitted the old one back... and it still funked.

just take everything out and just have the bare essentials in cpu mobo ram
    and see if it boots if it does replace the parts one by one to see whats dead.
    It seems the ram done your computer in.

I have always wondered what the law is regarding this kind of thing, is the company who sold you the ram responsible for replacing the damaged goods?
    i would try to find out. AND make sure you say you were wearing an anti
    static wrist band (connected to bare metal on the case) when you contact
    them so they cant wangle out of it. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    If you put the RAM in back to front (believe me, it is possible in some boards) it fries the board and the RAM. Don't want to make it sound like you're doing something dumb but it's just a variable

Anti-static precautions. Although it seems a thing of the past it's also a variable which could have caused the system to screw up due to RAM being fudged.

Did you clear the CMOS after changing the RAM back?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro
    I have always wondered what the law is regarding this kind of thing, is the company who sold you the ram responsible for replacing the damaged goods?
    i would try to find out. AND make sure you say you were wearing an anti
    static wrist band (connected to bare metal on the case) when you contact
    them so they cant wangle out of it. Let us know how you get on.
    If the motherboard only supports up to 256Mb of RAm then it would be his fault for not checking compatibiliyty before putting the RAM in, and unless he is qualified then its his fault anyway becasue they can just claim he didnt know what he was doing and any number of things could ahve gone wrong due to his lack of skills.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon2004
    If the motherboard only supports up to 256Mb of RAm then it would be his fault for not checking compatibiliyty before putting the RAM in, and unless he is qualified then its his fault anyway becasue they can just claim he didnt know what he was doing and any number of things could ahve gone wrong due to his lack of skills.
    That's just plain nasty

Thanks
    I wan't saying it to be nasty, just saying how these big B****** companies work. No matter how skilled you are, if you don't have that bit of paper proving it your worthless. A sad but true fact of the world.

Falcon
    Last edited by Falcon2004; 01-04-2004 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and screwed up spelling...

Thanks
    Falcon, i just though i'd point out. You've spelt "through" wrong on the sig

Registered+
    Thanks
    It was the graphics card in the end, a rather bizzare coincidence? Unless some static did it:S

thanks

Thread Information