Thread: Modem connecting to internet but not passing data.

Thanks

Modem connecting to internet but not passing data.

Hello,
    not sure if this is an operating system problem. I found the other day that when I connected to the internet my modem was freezing up after verifying username and password with my ISP. It would attempt to load my homepage and then timeout, checking the modem log showed all normal right up to verification and then nothing. The modem would sit there with a few hundred bytes sent and a few hundred received and that was it.

It is a stock intel 593 56k v92 modem in a pci slot, I have tried re-installing in a different slot, re-installing in the same slot, reseating. Its not the ISP as I can get on with a laptop through the same cable to the same socket.

I cannot believe its the modem, its a few years old but I thought these things just never break!

Maybe its a windows thing. Hope someone can help.
    My setup:
    nf7-s rev.2
    xp1800 o/c to 2.2 Ghz (Zalman flower cooling, though does run hot at mid to late 50's cent.)
    crucial pc3200 512Mb ram
    30Gb maxtor hdd
    400w no name PSU (promise will get it changed!!!)
    radeon 9800 aiw se 128Mb
    os is win 98se

I also ran a sophos virus checker which turned up nothing at all.

Thanks
    have u checked the setting in the modem config?

Thanks
    hi chap, thanks for the prompt response.
    do you mean the settings which you get to via the control panel?
    if so yes, I don't have call waiting or any such setup. and what is more bizarre is that I don't normally go anywhere near my modem settings.
    Do you know of modems giving up the ghost in this way?

Thanks
    I get this all the time, I've researched on it and nothing seems to fix it. Try some of these:

- get latest drivers for it.
    - set the max speed on the modem slightly lower.
    - make sure the phone line and connector are in good condition and try not to use any line extensions.

Thanks
    thanks chap, will try it out tomorrow when am in position to install latest drivers. I guess thats what you gt for a no name product! Good to know someone else has similar issue though.

thanks,
    d

Thanks
    btw r u using default xp drivers?such as lucent win modem?

Thanks
    My friend had this - happened when he installed new chipset drivers.
    - This resulted in the 'TCP/IP Protocol for Dialup Adapter' getting duplicated.

When he deleted one, all was well....
    Check that this hasn't happened to you.

Alternatively - try fiddling with some DNS server IP addresses....
    P4C 2.4Ghz | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2x512Mb GeiL Ultra DDR500 CL2-3-3-6 | Sapphire Radeon 9700 128Mb | Soundblaster 128 | Western Digital 120Gb 7200rpm 8Mb cache
    CoolerMaster Centurion w 2x120mm | Thermaltake 420W PSU
    Iiyama Prolite E435S 17" TFT | Logitech MX510 and Cordless Keyboard | Pioneer DVR109XL (Black) | Labtec Spin 60

Thanks
    Hello again, funny you should say that about dialup adapters. I have also been having problems playing cd's and mp3's, they jump a few seconds all the time. Thought I may need to reload the nvidia chipset drivers, which I did. However this time round they required me to have the win98 cd to read off. Never happened the first time and when I finally looked in the device mgr in system I found about half a dozen duplicates of the chipset drivers, memory controllers, pci controllers. Also a dialup adaptor in my network adaptors. Weird stuff. I am thinking I need to clean out all my drivers and start afresh.
    I guess the best way to do this is to remove all the relevant bits from device mgr, sounds like it'll be a drag though. I can sense a windows reload coming on all over again...

Thanks
    Hello,
    don't know if anyone is still following this, but should any1 else be going down the same track and need guidance...

I think the problem was my no name power supply, 400W apparently, but with one case fan I was getting 11.80v on the supply rail. Pretty severe undervolts and it was screwing up many things (I started getting prompted for password on logging on!).

Dropped my overclocking to original rating of my chip and got rid of case fan and now volts are 11.92. XP Pro and things seem sorted mostly.

Thread Information