Thread: Audigy 2 or Aureon 5.1 Sky

MurphmanL

Audigy 2 or Aureon 5.1 Sky

Both of these Terratec and Creative cards give good quality 5.1 channel 24 bit surround sound. As you may know from my previous posts my Audigy 2 is acting the fool. Anyways i dunno if i can get a refund on it from Game, but if i could then I am wondering if to do either:
    1. Get another Audigy 2 and risk a dodgy mic input
    2. Get a Terratec Aureon 5.1 Sky

The terratec only handles 5.1 and the audigy boasts 6.1, however im not too concerned about the channels, more about the sound that comes out. B4 i had an audigy 2, i had an Aureon 5.1 fun card and it was good for the money, but now i read reviews and some ppl have had aureon sky problems... anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
    My mate has the terratec, and he was saying only the other night how much he misses his audigy... I think in my opinion too that the audigy has some far superior qualities to it

Thanks
    It might be risky going with dodgy mic input on the Audigy 2 card but my mate ran his 5.1 through an Audigy 2 and the sounds were ultra-clear! hes recommended onto me for my rig to get an Audigy 2. i personally think you should go for the Audigy 2 over the Terratec since if you're planning to go up to high quality sounds from 5.1 onwards, 5.1 is the limit on the Terratec. so id recommend you go for the Audigy cos there is so much quality in it apart from the dodgy mic inputs

Thanks
    Audigy 2 here. Very happy
    P4 3.0C@4.05 | Abit IC7 Max 2 | 1GB KingMax PC4000| Radeon 9700Pro | 560GB| Echo Gina 24 | Dell 2001FP|

Thanks
    sh4rk, im going for an audigy 2 zs in my forthcoming rig. what speaker system would you recommend for me? and how cheap could i pick it up? any advice would be grateful.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    dont you all find that Creative software loads your PC with tons of stuff you just dont need......multiple registry additions, changes to boot up etc etc.

Revolution 7.1 here....M-Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    dont worry zak, once i get my new rig ill soon have a mess around with the registries that arent needed and clean them off. would a 7.1 speaker setup be a good bet? considering that i use a hell of a load of audio stuff on my pc. would a 7.1 be reco'd?

Thanks
    Well i have both the creative 5.1 speaker set up and i have just bought an amp and speakers. Amp and speakers + audigy ROX. Amp = Nad 320BE (5 star whathifi) and Speakers = Wharfedale 8.3 floorstanders (supertest winners on whathifi). They cost me £170. I don't know if you really want some 5.1 ones I don't really know. My creatives seem okay, but for real sound nothing beats a decent amp and speakers.
    P4 3.0C@4.05 | Abit IC7 Max 2 | 1GB KingMax PC4000| Radeon 9700Pro | 560GB| Echo Gina 24 | Dell 2001FP|

Thanks
    even better if i can get an amp and speakers connected up! i was looking around for a cheap 7.1. but to boost up with an amp and speakers will perfectly do the job! combine the two for a bit more. those 8.3 floorstanders i think i might have seen before. ill look them over. cheers mate problem solved!

Thanks
    You can get them both for £170 from www.hyperfi.co.uk They have a pretty awful site but great prices

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    7.1.....waste.

Just 4 good speakers and a centre if you;'re into films.

A bass box is lovely if available......

7......bit overkill on the same budget as 5 good uns

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

MurphmanL
    Ive heard a lot of crap about the Aureon 5.1 sky, and even problems with EAX. And guys guys guys, u are all sposed to be hardware pro's dont u know that u can avoid all the useless crap by just downloading the latest Creative Audigy Drivers??? Makes it sound better (yes it does!) and plus none of the crap, i personally prefer to also download and install the latest surround mixer as well tho

Thanks
    and where do you find the mixer? I've searched high and low for it when i've lost the creative disk and had no luck finding it. Maybe i just didnt look hard enough, but a link would be nice

im going for an audigy 2 zs in my forthcoming rig. what speaker system would you recommend for me? and how cheap could i pick it up? any advice would be grateful
    Sam, I might be able to help you out there with my ZXR 500's. Should come down on a wednesday night when i got the house to myself so i can show you what they can do. Will be more than you need i think. Contact me on MSN for details etc
    Last edited by Clstrphbc_donut; 03-04-2004 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    I'm definately satisfied with my Audigy 2. The only thing is occasionally it freezes the system and I get weird screechy noises from the speakers. Apparently this is a known issue, Creative still havnt got particularly good drivers

Thread Information