Thread: Clever people in here ta

Thanks

Clever people in here ta

So i need a load of recommendations. I've got my shuttle SN41G2, it has less issues hence why i got it. Currently it's got a 2600+ Thoroughbred B AIUHB in it with 2 modules of 256MB PC3200 TwinMOS w/winbond and a 9800 Pro.

Now, the thing is, i want a new processor, some new RAM, new sound system and a new TFT.

Processor wise i was going to go for the 3200+ but the 200MHz FSB is a chance as opposed to a fact. I need a chip with a multiplier of 11. Remember the SN41G2 doesn't allow you to change multiplier or voltages so i was thinking a 2500+ so if i can't get the 200MHz FSB i can still keep it at 166MHz or anything i can get it too whilst being stable. 2500+ barton wuvvly good stuff ya think yah?

New RAM. I was thinking along the lines of the low latency modules of Corsair XMS3200. 2 modules of 512MB is what i was thinking. Issues with FN41 at all? Not sure on that one, hopefully it's ok.

Sound system, i want optical, i want 2.1 (anything more = too many cables for my liking). High quality, decent price, optical (cambridge sound works do 2.1 at all? they are nice, can you get them in optical?) I could look everything up myself but you know, i'm just way too lazy to do research on sound systems.

TFT, wuvvly 17" will do me fine. I currently have a Mitsi Diamond Pro 930SB 19" CRT which is equal to the iiyama 454VM Pro in quality so i know what high quality is. Was thinking of the hyundai imagequest or that iiyama one?

This system is for Uni, all the spare parts are going in another system for a linux box for when i'm at uni (a software development box as so to speak).

Need a load of recommendations so i can decide what i'm going to buy. I get money every month so at the end of this month will be the next buy. I'll have £160 so no TFT or RAM. I was going to go for the processor first i think.

If you've read this far, thanks for reading

Thanks
    You're not really going to get that much performance leap from a XP2600+ TB to any of the other CPUs you mentioned, so I don't really see the point.

RAM would be my first stop, get 2 x 512MB of PC3200, and you'll see appz running so much smoother. Better still, if you've got the money get 2 x 1Gb. Does it have to be PC3200 ram? Do you overclock? If not, opt for 1Gb sticks of PC2700.

As for a TFT.....look no further than the Iiyama Prolite mentioned in another thread....

Thanks
    Well i'll be using the processor in it currently in another system and i wanted to get a barton just for the willy waving factor. (also *AHEM!* there's a bent pin on the CPU )

2 x 1GB would be nice, i'll check up if the FN41 supports it. I'll also check costs. This is probably going to be my last buy so i might as well go all out

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    the extra 256k cache of the barton does help raise the performance over the thoroughbreds so get a barton
    can the mobile bartons do 11x200 on stock 1.45v cos if they do id get one of those for the shuttle a bit less heat and they are defo unlocked
    as for ram i have a 512mb stick of OCZ pc3200 and id really recomend it the difference it has made on my system even just in windows now im saving for a 2nd stick of this stuff
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    heh, well the Corsair has tight timings as do the OCZ stuff. Not sure in how much difference though.

The 3200+ M runs at 1.65v which i don't understand because the normal ones do as well.

CPU wise i'm really in a hole because i can't change the voltages in order to overclock on the M's and i don't know if my system will hack the 200MHz FSB and i can't test it with the current chip because the multiplier is locked at 12.5

Thanks
    get a 1.45v barton 2500xp-m from cpu city assuming the still sell them. You can select multi in any mobo using the wire mod. Becuase bartons are usually locked you have to mod it to a mobile, the xp-m's are already mobile. This lets you change the multi from windows.
    I dont know if your board has any issues with the xp-m's though, something you need to ask google

For ram you want the tightest timings you can get, gives much more performance than raw mhz. The best is any sticks using winbond BH-5 though bh-6 and ch-5 are close in performance ablility. Corsair is good, I have 2x xms3500 BH-5 sticks .

Thanks
    nice. Corsair BH-5 it is then. I'll be getting two modules of 512MB since i wouldn't need anything more than that.

Really unsure about the CPU though.

Thanks
    problem is corsair bh-5 was stoepd a while ago - winbond no longer make it, so you may have to settle for bh-6 or ch-5 unles you get it second hand and probably pay about the same. I however was lucky - £140 for 2x 512mb sticks from a hexus member , and they clock well

You might want to go fo rthe newer athlon shuttle, my brother has one and had no probs with it, and could change the multi etc I think (unlocked tbred).
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 02-04-2004 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks
    Well it might be possible to get the full 200MHz FSB out of yet. We'll see.

Thread Information