Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphical glitch in some games - Help!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Graphical glitch in some games - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash477 View Post
    The only thing that I can think of given that you have essentually built a new system and used 2 different cards would be driver related. Now I know that 2 different cards having the same issue is rare, but it could be the case.

I'm guessing that when you are seeing these issues you are running the games in DX10 mode? if so do you still get the same issue with DX9?

Check for updates to both the drivers and games, as either one or both may have issued a patch to fix these issues. Or in the case of the drivers, try some slightly older versions in case it is an issue with that particular driver version.

Also, what OS are you using?
    Thanks for replying. I'm getting the same corruption whether I run Vista or Windows 7 so the operating system is unlikely to be at fault. I always use up to date graphics drivers but have tried going back to the old ones supplied with the cards but the result was the same. I also patch games to the latest version so it won't be this.

I was thinking on the same lines as you regarding DX10 as I originally ran Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Call of Juarez and Crysis (I think?) in DX10 mode. However it made no difference switching back to DX9 and The Witcher was purely DX9 anyway so this doesn't appear to be the problem.

Thanks again

Mag

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Here are the images (resized for web):

Quote Originally Posted by MagR View Post
    Here's the links:

http:// uploadingit.com/files/1368796_8b8j6/witcher%202009-08-30%2011-12-50-78.bmp]witcher 2009-08-30 11-12-50-78.bmp[/url]

http:// uploadingit.com/files/1368685_hpi6e/CoJ%202009-08-30%2011-19-56-84.bmp]CoJ 2009-08-30 11-19-56-84.bmp[/url]

The first shot is from The Witcher with all settings on high. The corruption is the green translucent blobs you see when you look at the tree. What the screenshot can't pick up is the fact they are moving so are extremely distracting.

The second shot is from the start of Call of Juarez at low resolution and settings. The corruption here is the translucent white blobs which are also swirling.

Mag

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

That it shows up in screenshots rules out anything after the buffer of the graphics card. Very, very unusual. Is this *exactly* the same as the errors you had with the ATI card?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Here are the images (resized for web):

Thanks for posting those screenshots for me

Mag

Registered+
    Thanks

That it shows up in screenshots rules out anything after the buffer of the graphics card. Very, very unusual. Is this *exactly* the same as the errors you had with the ATI card?
    Sorry, got a bit quick with my reply - missed your question above. It is now a couple of months since I started changing all the hardware and unfortunately I didn't know about FRAPS or how to take screenshots then. However from memory this is identical to the errors with the ATI card and also appear at the same points in games irrespective of how long the computer has been running.

It is at least comforting to know that this is indeed corruption as I was starting to convince myself that games are supposed to exhibit such anomalies!

Thanks again

Mag

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

Harddrive and dvd rom drive seem to be ths only common factors. Could be a faulty HD (although seems unlikely even with my limited knowledge)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nibbler View Post
    Harddrive and dvd rom drive seem to be ths only common factors. Could be a faulty HD (although seems unlikely even with my limited knowledge)
    Thanks for replying. I've actually changed the DVD drive (optical drive as they seem to be called for some reason) so that's out. I'm wondering if it's possible I've damaged both hard drives somehow so games aren't quite installing properly? Nothing is showing as a bad sector when I run a testing program though. Hard drives are fairly cheap so I might try buying another before calling in a repairman who will probably charge me a fortune and make things worse!

Thanks again

Mag

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I'm certainly well into the realms of wild speculation by now. What remains the same? The location of the computer? The power socket you're plugging it into? Presence of any environmental factors?

Your case should have good enough EMI protection if it was bought in the EU, but if you are sitting on top of a mini Chernobyl then maybe something's getting through - try a different power socket, or a different room. Heck at this point I'd be carting it round to my neighbours house just to check - a good an excuse to join the Hexus.lan as any perhaps?

Thanks

Errrr are you testing us or something MagR?

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm certainly well into the realms of wild speculation by now. What remains the same? The location of the computer? The power socket you're plugging it into? Presence of any environmental factors?

Your case should have good enough EMI protection if it was bought in the EU, but if you are sitting on top of a mini Chernobyl then maybe something's getting through - try a different power socket, or a different room. Heck at this point I'd be carting it round to my neighbours house just to check - a good an excuse to join the Hexus.lan as any perhaps?

Thanks for replying - sorry about the delay getting back to you. Funny you should say it but I've just carted my rig upstairs to test it on a different electricity circuit - no joy! I've been running ATI Tool's artifact test for hours now and no errors are showing up - strange that this works on an Nvidia graphics card but it appears to.

I'm now starting to think something is stopping some games installing properly on the hard drive. I just plugged the hard drives and optical drive in and relied on the operating sysyem's drivers for these. Is this correct or do I have to install additional drivers? Do you have to configure drives before use to to get them to work properly - I thought they were plug and play.

Thanks again

Mag

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    Errrr are you testing us or something MagR?
    Thanks for replying - sorry about the delay getting back to you. I assure you Singh I'm not testing you - nobody could make up a problem with a solution as obscure as this!

I've just been telling Kalniel that I've tried my pc in a different room to ensure the problem isn't caused by some local interference. I even took all the components out of the case and reassembled them on a table and I got the same glitch (lucky I didn't electrocute myself). As the ATI Tool artifacts test is not showing any errors I don't think the problem is with the graphics card or heat.

One thing that has always worried me is the systematic nature of the glitch - why does it affect only certain games and appear at the same parts of those games? I started to suspect the games were at fault but games like Crysis, Bioshock and The Witcher are so mainstream surely someone else would have complained unless they are all suffering from "The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome".

I'm now starting to wonder if they aren't installing properly somehow. Do you know if I'm missing something when installing the hard drives and DVD drive? I simply plugged in the power and SATA data cables and assumed that was all I needed to do. If they are not simple plug and play devices is there anything else I need such as extra drivers? Do I need to configure them before use?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your's everyone else's help

Mag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information