Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Beeping problem on my NF7-S?

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks

Exclamation Scary Beeping problem on my NF7-S?

Ok... This is quite scary . I'm like 90% sure its my NF7-S Making this High then Low then High then Low etc. Beeping noises, because what else would?. This only happens if i'm having the computer on for a while and doing a lot of things and just working it. What does this mean? Is it overheating? Is it just some stupid error that people can turn off?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Abit NF7-S Beep Codes
    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board

One beep - board is working fine

One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU

1 short(Beep) System booting is normally

2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error

1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR

1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error

1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error

Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly

Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has a problem

A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages

Four beeps then machine shuts down. This is because this version of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or FAN4 header or clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Oh... This sucks. I'm 95% sure it's the "DRAM ERROR". What can I do? I just baught brand new 256x2 Corsair 3200's in Dual Channel. What can I do?

By the way thx for that post.

Thanks
    Well if it is the RAM its probably more likely that its because its an incompatibility with the mobo than something actually being wrong with it. No corsair RAM is on the Nvidia approved Nforce2 memory list, see here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForce...patibility.asp

I bought 2 sticks of Corsair for my MSI Nforce2 mobo when I first got it, and it would only boot 25% of the time, even though it worked fine when it did.

I would recommend only buying ram on the approved list, or on a list made by people who have actually tested the ram.
    I have used to stick of 512mb PC2700 Samsuing original which worked fine (on the nvidia list) and right now I am using 2 sticks of 512mb TwinMOS w/Winbond (also on nvidia list) and they work fine. but apart from that I built a comp for a friend with 2 sticks of 256 crucial PC2700 which, although not on the approved list, are on a list patched togethor by people on the MSI forums, and they seem to work fine.

Try running memtest on them just to make sure. Also, what were you using ebfore you got this new RAM ? Or is this a new mobo with new ram ? If its just new ram, then what were you using before ? Was it working with no probs ?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexeus
    Well if it is the RAM its probably more likely that its because its an incompatibility with the mobo than something actually being wrong with it. No corsair RAM is on the Nvidia approved Nforce2 memory list, see here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForce...patibility.asp

I bought 2 sticks of Corsair for my MSI Nforce2 mobo when I first got it, and it would only boot 25% of the time, even though it worked fine when it did.

I would recommend only buying ram on the approved list, or on a list made by people who have actually tested the ram.
    I have used to stick of 512mb PC2700 Samsuing original which worked fine (on the nvidia list) and right now I am using 2 sticks of 512mb TwinMOS w/Winbond (also on nvidia list) and they work fine. but apart from that I built a comp for a friend with 2 sticks of 256 crucial PC2700 which, although not on the approved list, are on a list patched togethor by people on the MSI forums, and they seem to work fine.

Try running memtest on them just to make sure. Also, what were you using ebfore you got this new RAM ? Or is this a new mobo with new ram ? If its just new ram, then what were you using before ? Was it working with no probs ?
    I tryed running a memtest thingy, I couldnt figure out to burn it to my cd. I was using some old crappy 512mb stick dont know what maybe generic. NF7-S was baught hmm a few months back, memory at least one month back. I'm like 90% sure it was working completely fine with the old ram before. (I love using percentages lol)

Thanks.

Thanks
    It's not the DRAM error it's the "Neeee Noooor Neeeee Noooor" sound isn't it, that means it's overheating the other errors wouldn't really allow you to boot successfully into windows. Disable features like "Shutdown when cpu fan fails" and "Overheat protect @ X degrees" yada yada of course before doing so check your temperatures.

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    It means its overheating, gfs pc does the same thing.. when I look in mbm its a stupidly high temp! :O

Thanks
    yea, it does tenbd to sound like a heat alarm actually. Go into the bios and see what the hardware monior says when its been running for a while, and check what the alarm temp is set too, maybe is just set at too lower temp.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Its your BIOS telling you that your CPU is overheating:

Check to see what the temp of your CPU is, if the temp is acceptable, then go into the BIOS and adjust the temp alarm. If it is overheating, then you need to take a look at your entire system and figure out what factors are causing your CPU to overheat:

- not enough cool air going into your case
    - HSF not mounted on properly
    - HSF stopped spinning.......etc....

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    First... Where in Bios can I turn these settings off, and second... Whats a good tempature to be at and whats a good tempature for the alarm?... Maybe my computer is overheating a LITTLE BIT but not enough to hurt the computer just to turn that alarm on so is there any tempatures I can take it up to just to turn off that beeping?

Thanks
    I say anything over 60'c then the alarm should kick in..not that your temps should ever get that high.
    foobar2K->Compass->Meridian502/557->B&W802

Thanks
    I don't have any experience with Abit AMD mobos, but I have owned a few Abit Intel mobos, and the way they report temps are out of this world. The Abit BH-7 I had kept reporting temps of over 100C!! It wasn't the CPUs fault, more of the way the BIOS reported it. In the end, I got fed up of the whole situation and unplugged the internal speaker from the mobo.

Thanks

My Bios Settings For The Abit NF7-S v2.0

BIOS SETTINGS (Those That Differ From Optimized Defaults)

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S v2.0

BIOS Version: 23

Category: Softmenu 3 Setup
    >
    CPU Interface: Enabled
    CPU Over Temp Protect: 65

Category: Standard CMOS Features
    >
    Halt On: No Errors

Category: Advanced BIOS Features
    >
    First Boot Device: HDD 0
    Second Boot Device: CDROM
    Third Boot Device: Floppy
    Boot Other Device: Disabled

Category: Advanced Chipset Features
    >
    System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled
    Video RAM Cacheable: Disabled
    AGP Aperture Size: 128
    FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    CPU Thermal Throttling: Disabled
    Enhanced PCI Performance: Enabled
    CPU Disconnect Function: Disabled
    AGP Transfer Rate: 8x
    AGP Fastwrite Capability: Disabled

Category: Integrated Peripherals
    >
    OnChip PCI Device
    USB Keyboard: BIOS
    IEEE1394: Disabled
    Onboard PCI Device:
    Serial ATA Controller: Disabled
    Init Display First: AGP
    Onboard Serial Port 1: Disabled
    Onboard Serial Port 2: Disabled
    Onboard Parallel Port: Disabled

I hope this helps if not with the beep problem as a general guide on how to configure your bios correctly.
    Last edited by LayZeh; 05-04-2004 at 11:41 PM.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LayZeh
    BIOS SETTINGS (Those That Differ From Optimized Defaults)

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S v2.0

BIOS Version: 23

Category: Softmenu 3 Setup
    >
    CPU: User Define
    CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio: 6/6
    CPU Interface: Enabled
    Power Supply Controller: User Define
    CPU Over Temp Protect: 65

Category: Standard CMOS Features
    >
    Halt On: No Errors

Category: Advanced BIOS Features
    >
    First Boot Device: HDD 0
    Second Boot Device: CDROM
    Third Boot Device: Floppy
    Boot Other Device: Disabled

Category: Advanced Chipset Features
    >
    Memory Timings: Expert
    System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled
    Video RAM Cacheable: Disabled
    AGP Aperture Size: 128
    FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    CPU Thermal Throttling: Disabled
    Enhanced PCI Performance: Enabled
    CPU Disconnect Function: Disabled
    AGP Transfer Rate: 8x
    AGP Fastwrite Capability: Disabled

Category: Integrated Peripherals
    >
    OnChip PCI Device
    USB Keyboard: BIOS
    IEEE1394: Disabled
    Onboard PCI Device:
    Serial ATA Controller: Disabled
    Init Display First: AGP
    Onboard Serial Port 1: Disabled
    Onboard Serial Port 2: Disabled
    Onboard Parallel Port: Disabled

I hope this helps if not with the beep problem as a general guide on how to configure your bios correctly.

OH MY GOD!!! I'm on the other computer right now because I chagned my bios to everything that was posted right here and when I saved the settings and tryed to restart the thing Turned off and just went beeeep boooom beeeeep booooom beeeeep boooom and it wont stop. I've even tooken the power cord out! Is there anyway I can manually on the mobo reset the bios settings?!!!! Please Help.

Thanks!

Thanks
    was probably becuase of the "Memory Timings: Expert" part if you didnt set the vaules right.
    take the cord out again, and use the cmos clear jumper to short the other pins for a few seconds then put it back, should then work when you put th epower cord back, but youll need to goto bios and change all the settings to what they should be...

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Could you explain where this is? I'm a beginner at doing things like this so if you are gona explain to a class of beginners that would be very helpful .

Thanks a lot M8!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information