Thread: Comp Freeze

Thanks

Comp Freeze

My son's computer is an Asus A7V8X-X with 512 DDR ram ( PC3200 ) and running XP home.. With his new AGP MSI GForce FX 5600 with 256 DDR the Comp freezes at stock speed 1.92GHZ (11.5 x 333 ),Runs well at 1.51GHZ,and lower,and also Performs ok at 2.13 (16 x1.33).The present game that he is playing is Max Payne II

All setting in the Bios other than the CPU speed are at auto.

Any idea what could be the possible cause?

Once Iget this problem sorted out I would like some advise on O/C the Video card.

TIA,

Vijay

Thanks
    I find Prime95 is best for testing for stability.

What RAM are you using? Since the motherboard is nForce2, it doesn't like some RAM types. This list might be helpful: http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForce...patibility.asp

Hope this helps

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    I find Prime95 is best for testing for stability.

What RAM are you using? Since the motherboard is nForce2, it doesn't like some RAM types. This list might be helpful: http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForce...patibility.asp

Hope this helps

Mike
    Am using a transcend Pc3200 DDR 400 FSB.It is on the approved list of Nvidia.

Vijay

Thanks
    Download memtest and test out your ram individually.

Next is check the temp of you system (CPU, GFX card).

Thanks
    ok will do and will post when done.

Vijay

Thanks
    Ran prime 95 torture test for an hour or so.Did not have the patience to run it longer.There were no problems.

MB temp at start 38C Cpu temp at start 52 C.
    MB temp at end 40C Cpu temp at end 62 C and was climbing.

Did not install a new fan as the case will need modification and I am not handy enuff to do so.

Thanks

Vijay

Thanks
    anything above 60C isn't acceptable really, i'd reseat the heatsink, apply some thermal paste (Artic Silver if you have any) and then lap the northbridge and the heatsink supplied.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LayZeh
    anything above 60C isn't acceptable really, i'd reseat the heatsink, apply some thermal paste (Artic Silver if you have any) and then lap the northbridge and the heatsink supplied.
    Thanks for the post.

I can apply the Artic silver or equivalent.

But don't know what you mean by "lap the Northbridge and heat sink" nor do I know how to do it. Could you please explain ?

Vijay

Thanks
    Hi Vijay,

If you are from Calcutta I bet it is getting hot there.

What are the ambient room temps?

You need to get your processor/system temps down.Most cases come with a fan grille for sticking another case fan in usually an exhaust I would do this aswell as reseat the processor/heat sink.

You could also try running the PC with the sides of the case off as in the short term this will reduce your temps and see if this increases the stability.

If it is really hot you could try using a room fan pointed at the PC (with sides off).

If you get stability back as the system temps decrease you know you are on the right track.

Obviously the above is not a long term solution but if it works then you know the case fan and maybe a higher rated heatsink fan will do the trick.

best of luck

John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john-boi
    Hi Vijay,

If you are from Calcutta I bet it is getting hot there.

What are the ambient room temps?

You need to get your processor/system temps down.Most cases come with a fan grille for sticking another case fan in usually an exhaust I would do this aswell as reseat the processor/heat sink.

You could also try running the PC with the sides of the case off as in the short term this will reduce your temps and see if this increases the stability.

If it is really hot you could try using a room fan pointed at the PC (with sides off).

If you get stability back as the system temps decrease you know you are on the right track.

Obviously the above is not a long term solution but if it works then you know the case fan and maybe a higher rated heatsink fan will do the trick.

best of luck

John
    Thanks John,

The max temp is 36C and Min 28C not too bad I think?

Got an extra fan pulling in air from the front and one at the rear as an exhaust fan,this is in addition to Power supply Units own fan.

Will try to reseat the heat sink and CPU.The problem with using Artic silver is that it will void the AMD warranty -so am trying to get a thermal pad for the CPU. In any case will run it without the side panels.

Finally will go for a new heatsink and Fan if all else fails.

Thanks once again,

Vijay

Thanks
    No worries Vijay
    From your first post.Have I read it right that it runs ok at 2.13 ghz but not the stock speed of 1.92 ghz?

If thats the case then it could be something else besides the temperature that is a problem!!

You seem to have tested the RAM so presume you have upto date motherboard,graphics,sound drivers and windows updated.If so you could try a differant graphics driver maybe an earlier version.

I seem to remember that Max Payne 2 had various problems.

Can it run another game without problems so that would mean the problem lies with Max Payne rather than just the PC.

By the way do you know of any interesting Indian tech sites that maybe worth a look for us Europeans.

It would be interseting to see what you pay for hardware/software as I am travelling to India in the near future.

Thanks

John

Thanks
    Deus ex is one of the games that ran on the comp.

John do let me know when you plan to visit India and if you come any near Cal -It would be a pleasure to take you around.

Some of the hardware such as psu cases etc are cheap,other stuff is more expensive.Software varies.If you have anything specific in mind let me know and I will price it for you.

Regards,

Vijay

Thanks
    Majority of chipsets do not have an even surface, remove your chipset heatsink, clean the chipset then clean the heatsink, an ultra thin later of AS on the chipset and then place your heatsink on top. When you raise it back up and take a look i bet the heatsinks surface in it's entirity isn't covered in thermal paste, you'll probably have just the middle of it covered as most chipsets are rounded. What i mean by lapping is to get some sandpaper, starting with some low grit and working up to say 1200 grit until you're satisfied that chipsets surface corresponds with the surface of the heatsink, best bet is to use the heatsink as the sanding block then you can't go wrong.

Of course this is an extreme step but you're in an extremely hot country. Doing this can lower temps by as much as 6c (it did for me and i'm in the UK).

Thanks
    Thanks for the invite Vijay

I must admit to being a fan of your Country.I have "done" the North a Couple of times never as far east as Calcutta though.But if we ever do I would love a tour.

This time we are visiting the South probably kerala before it gets too touristy.

We hear a lot about the high tech industry in India over here in the UK the software houses in Bangalore etc.Evidently India is giving the West a run for it's money in software development!!

I often try and track sites down in India to see what's happening.I'm a fan of The Times Of India website!!!

Any homegrown Indian tech sites that you like that might be worth a look?

Hope you sort the PC out must admit lapping the chip looks a bit radical for me but best of luck.

John

Thanks
    Your out of luck.I dont subscribe to any indian tech sites,I find that problems that I have (other than the ambient heat related ones ) are well covered in sites like Lockergnome,PCQANDA and ofcourse hexus.

Will search for them and get back to you.

No I am not even going to attempt to lap the chip.If some thing went wrong it would cost too much to replace the MB.

Vijay

Thread Information