Thread: i7 Build Check

Thanks

i7 Build Check

Hi,

I've been working in Singapore for over a year now and returning to UK in November, I've not really been keeping up with the PC market for last 2+ years but when I get back I'm going to need a computer as I'm sick to death of my noisey slow laptop. I've been doing some research today and think I've spec'd it out correctly, but I'd like to make sure, would someone be so kind to check it over for me.

Cheers

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: i7 Build Check

I would presonally make a few changes:

This Blu-Ray as it does DVD+/-RW as well as just reading.

And this power supply instead of the BeQuiet.

Finally I would try and get lower latancy RAM.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Actuary & Gamer
    Thanks
    • Champman99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel SB Core i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F1 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD/ATI Radeon 7970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster RealPower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T Graphite (White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell U2412M (Eyefinity)
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband Unlimited (No FUP!)

Have a look at the Lian-Li PC-P50(B). It's like an Antec 900, but made of alluminium and with lian-li quality. Alot more airflow and ventillation than most lian li cases.

Ive just rehomed my PC in it and am very happy. I disagree with the poster above on the need for low latency RAM, and also I think that BeQuiet is a decent enough unit. BeQuiet, certain OCZ units, Corsair and Enermax are all making good PSU's at the moment as long as you get one of their latest models and a decent wattage of course.

I also wouldn't purchase from OcUK, but each to their own.

Thanks

Thanks, I think I agree with you, I just really like that brushed facia.

Anyway, I have changed the PSU and Drive.

I have also changed the RAM to this one, Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C7)

Job done?

Also what this TRIM stuff all about? I'll be putting windows 7 on, does the intel support TRIM?

Thanks

Champman99:
    Sorry, had the tab open waiting to reply and didnt refresh before I replied.

Thanks for the tip on the case, looking at it, I think I can actually mount the H50 on the outside with that case as theres no built-in grill, just a big hole. Will obviously need some spacers/stand-off made but I'm sure I can figure something out. Cheers for the tip, I actually thought that top bit was plastic.

So for RAM whats the best bet?

What wrong with OCUK? never had a probem with them a 3+years ago, have they gone down hill?

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    Finally I would try and get lower latancy RAM.
    I've got some of this for sale in the classifieds section.....

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by xrob View Post
    What wrong with OCUK? never had a probem with them a 3+years ago, have they gone down hill?
    I'm not particularly aware of them going downhill, but a lot of people on here don't rate them. Then on the other hand a lot of people think that the bias against OCUK is unfair and that a lot of the OCUK-hate is related to the fact that you get free postage with Scan on Hexus (as a result most people here tend to shop with Scan instead).

I would read around a bit and make your own decision - you can choose who you go with at the end of the day, through whatever reasoning makes most sense at the time.
    Last edited by jim; 18-10-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Aye - I bought my machine with bits from Scan, OCUK and EBuyer. Scan was by far the fastest, but no probs with any of them.
    Have you considered the Coolermaster ATCS 840 ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

What wrong with OCUK?
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    a lot of people [who?] think that the bias against OCUK is unfair and that a lot of the OCUK-hate is related to the fact that you get free postage with Scan on Hexus, so most people here tend to shop with Scan
    Well, I haven't bought much from Scan and though I've had one problem with them they weren't too bad enough that I'm still happy to purchase from them (they seem to be a lot more helpful on the forums rather than phone, unusually for companies) - and I can't stand overclockers UK anymore. Can't really say I'm biased towards Scan!

OCUK, looking at what I read via google (one of em, here's something that brings up a bunch more stuff) after I had my own troubles with the company and having a look at the forums I can pretty much guess what would happen if I posted something like this questioning company policy over there! Their forum's ran with a childish mafia theme to it with the owner of the company calling himself "The Don" and jackbooted junior employees looking to exercise their "authority" on anyone who "steps out of line"...

Hopefully it's understandable why someone would get a bit sick of paying £3 or so every time they want to call for the pleasure of being put on hold, plus £1 every further 10 minutes of the call and them never ringing you back even when they say they will get someone to. Even if it's not much, it's not right and is exploitive. Though my post asking Scan about the practice pretty much sums it all up I think, probably better than me getting into it all over again here

But even worse is the reasons for needing to call them: 1stly, my PC with a (retail, it was non-standard and I paid for it separately) Blu-Ray drive was missing software required to actually use it (Windows Vista has no native support for Blu-Ray video), hoop after hoop and denial after denial before finally getting an older version of what I should have actually got with it.
    2: no backup media whatsoever sent out to me so I was unable to reinstall windows when they later changed the motherboard (and so the network card, causing a lot of conflicts - they didn't even boot up the system it seemed let alone stress test it) I had to call quite a few times later on when I had problems to get it sorted, with several refusals before finally sending me out a disk
    3: very shoddy workmanship no QC testing whatsoever, one time I received the PC and it failed to boot up the day after with failed overclock settings, had to reset the speeds all back to default and send it back again. Same when I had problems with the graphics card, seemingly no bothering to test at all, just pick some parts chuck em in then ship it back out (to add insult to injury they give you an unbranded OEM replacement graphics card instead of the premium price sapphire you bought)
    There's probably more, it went on over half a year before I finally decided enough was enough and to send the whole thing back threatening trading standards and legal action if necessary to recover my money.

I think OCuk are pretty much one of those cowboy internet companies who it's fine to buy some bits from but hell if you need any support, returns, or find stuff missing after. Buying a built system from them is probably where you're most likely to notice things going bad, but I wouldn't even buy parts from them at this point in case I needed to get replacement/refund and have to actually contact someone who isn't an automated emailer robot. They really go out of their way to hide any contact numbers apart from the premium rate 0871 ones (it was actually EASIER to get the owner of the company's home address and other things which is pretty ridiculous).
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 18-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks

Seems to be alot of OCUK bashing around here.

To be honest with you, I've had problems with scan. I dont think I've ever received anything on time. Their stock allocation is just a complete shambles, the amount of times I've ordered stuff and then get told they dont have any stock.

Scan website is shockingly bad to navigate.

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems to be alot of OCUK bashing around here.

To be honest with you, I've had problems with scan. I dont think I've ever received anything on time. Their stock allocation is just a complete shambles, the amount of times I've ordered stuff and then get told they dont have any stock.

Scan website is shockingly bad to navigate.
    I have neither had any problems with either website, bar the broken case from Scan that was actually the fault of the delievery guy being careless with securing stuff in the back of his van. I hear horror stories from both stores, but it seems to me they are the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, of course I do. And for that reason I always take heed when buying online, as any sensiable person would. It's like the rules or something for internet shopping.

Further more, isn't it kinda getting a bit offtopic? I mean this guy is asking if his computer build is up to stratch and we're telling him to go buy from some obsure etailer that hails from Eastern Tawian because we have all had a few bad experiences with the more local options.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Thread Information