Thread: CPU waterblock/pump combo queries

Registered+
    Thanks

CPU waterblock/pump combo queries

Hello all,

Soon, I am planning on upgrading my current system from air cooling to water, not just for performance, but for aesthetic appeal also.

I know which components I am going to be getting, apart from the CPU waterblock; recently, Swiftech released the Apogee Drive II, and as you can see, it looks amazing - not only performance wise, but, well, just look at it!

However, one thing has puzzled me: in order to not damage a water-cooling pump, it needs to be filled with water for it to circulate around the system. If you have a bottom-mounted pump and/or res, this isn't a problem as the pump is right next to a source of water it can pull from the res, preventing damage. But how would one ensure the same for the CPU waterblock/pump unit?

I have made a very basic diagram on my planned loop, and should hopefully make my befuddlement a little easier to understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I need to explain things further.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: CPU waterblock/pump combo queries

it really does not matter where items are located heat wise as you will gain/lose maybe 1 degree once everythings up to temp, watercooling hits a happy medium after about 10 minutes where its all the same temp so stick the pump where you want to.

as for initial fill priming 2 things to consider are drain and fill ports, i have drain pipes in the form of a t-piece with enough pipe coiled to allow it drain into a tub. a fill port can be lower than the highest item (your rad the same as me) but consider connectiong a spare fitting to the fill port with some extra pipe and a funnel on the top so you can have some fluid ready to draw into the pump. (from experience when it starts to draw you may get a huge air bubble head back up the pipe and splash you and everything around you so make sure you have a rag over it!!)

when i do the initial fill i use the mains switch to pulse the power until there is enough water in to prevent a dry pump.

designing a system with a pump including res top also helps with initial fill problems

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

3. Received thanks from:

Alphyn (01-07-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    it really does not matter where items are located heat wise as you will gain/lose maybe 1 degree once everythings up to temp, watercooling hits a happy medium after about 10 minutes where its all the same temp so stick the pump where you want to.

as for initial fill priming 2 things to consider are drain and fill ports, i have drain pipes in the form of a t-piece with enough pipe coiled to allow it drain into a tub. a fill port can be lower than the highest item (your rad the same as me) but consider connectiong a spare fitting to the fill port with some extra pipe and a funnel on the top so you can have some fluid ready to draw into the pump. (from experience when it starts to draw you may get a huge air bubble head back up the pipe and splash you and everything around you so make sure you have a rag over it!!)

when i do the initial fill i use the mains switch to pulse the power until there is enough water in to prevent a dry pump.

designing a system with a pump including res top also helps with initial fill problems
    Yeah, I get all of that, but my main concern is to make sure the CPU pump actually gets water before it is damaged.

I've been thinking... maybe have the bottom pump plugged in first, and then when water is circulating around, turn on the CPU pump? I mean, it isn't on, so therefore, it can't be damaged because it's not pumping air?

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

oh i see your using 2 pumps, i doubt you will need 2 but if you insist on doing it that way then prime with the bottom pump.

if your using 2 pumps you are better running 2 loops and 2 rads like i do. 1 for cpu and 1 for video.

now i understand your looking at 2 pumps ( i thought you were trying to decide the best place for the pump) i would suggest running 1 pump for a single video card and cpu block (18w DDC with res top would be my choice) , i had to go with 2 as i have 3 blocks on the motherboard, cpu block and 2 vga blocks meaning 1 loop would restrict the flow to much.

6. Received thanks from:

Alphyn (01-07-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

oh i see your using 2 pumps, i doubt you will need 2 but if you insist on doing it that way then prime with the bottom pump.

if your using 2 pumps you are better running 2 loops and 2 rads like i do. 1 for cpu and 1 for video.

now i understand your looking at 2 pumps ( i thought you were trying to decide the best place for the pump) i would suggest running 1 pump for a single video card and cpu block (18w DDC with res top would be my choice) , i had to go with 2 as i have 3 blocks on the motherboard, cpu block and 2 vga blocks meaning 1 loop would restrict the flow to much.
    When you say "prime", do you mean turn on?

So... turn on the bottom pump, and then turn on the CPU pump afterwards?

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

yes, turn on to prime the system with coolant.

9. Received thanks from:

Alphyn (01-07-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

yes, turn on to prime the system with coolant.
    Okay, gotcha. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information