Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple of dvd rewriter questions

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks

couple of dvd rewriter questions

hello
    just got myself a lovely pioneer AO6 dvd-rewriter and i was needing a couple of questions answered please
    can i install the dvd-r drive and still have a cd-rw drive and use both or would i need some other lead(excuse my ignorance but im new to this sort of stuff lol)
    right i know down loading music cds is pretty illegal etc.. but is it illegal for me to down load music videos and put them on a dvd to watch in my dvd player not concerts but like the singles chart or videos off "the box" as my duaghter hogs the tv with mtv and sh*te pop stuff whereas i could put these videos on a dvd so she can nick off to her bedroom and watch them on her dvd player
    dont want to brake the law
    and what dvd media would you recomend me for this sort of stuff
    thanks in advance
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    hi

u can run ure cd rom and dvd/r on the same ribbon and u dont need any other leads or anything like that

theres absolutely nothing wrong at all with downloading any type of media and burning to dvd for ure own purposes (its when u start sellin em 4 a fiver a shot that theyle come down onya) otherwise wot would be the purpose in buying 1!

regarding dvd media i use infiniti 4x dvd-r about £25 per spindle of 25 (the 1,s with the purple ritek dye) i find them very good although u can buy cheaper 1,s @ a slower 2x etc for less than £1 per disc

Thanks
    so would it be pointless keeping my cd-rw drive my dvd-rom drive and the new dvd-r drive?
    i thought i might have needed another little audio lead or something as well

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    unless you really need two drives in the box I'd say just run the dvd writer and take the other two out (keep them just incase you get a problem though), the dvd writer will do pretty much everything you need in terms of optical media
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    I dont know about music videos on the net, could be some problems in that but imo - if its broadcast, people record it anyway so nm.

Keep your CDRW cause DVD-R drives write CDRs only at 16x max, whereas you can knock out a CDR on a CDRW at 52x with the right media.

I have DVD-R, DVDROM and CDRW, with DVD-R and CDRW on the same channel cause i never use them together and i never do "on the fly" copies either.

Get 2x media at least. Ive got a bunch of 1x media and its slow as hell. 2x aint bad, but you really want 4x if you're doing a whole disk.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Depends if he actually has a 52x cd-writer

To be honest, writing at 16x is perfectly quick enough most of the time, - 2mins as opposed to 5mins, not really the much different. It's all I've got and I've never seen the need to get a faster one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    i got a lite on 40x12x48 cd-rw and some unknown dvd-rom drive would the dvd-r drive be good enough to say watch my dvd movies on so i could take the dvd-rom drive out
    i like the cd-rw as it never let me down and always burns perfect

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    {{{{{{i got a lite on 40x12x48 cd-rw and some unknown dvd-rom drive would the dvd-r drive be good enough to say watch my dvd movies on so i could take the dvd-rom drive out
    i like the cd-rw as it never let me down and always burns perfect}}}}}}}

yes crapshot m8,this is what i done and i find that its a very wise setup as opposed to using basically 2 dvd drives (1 of them realy wouldnt surve a purpose) so setting ure cdrw and dvd-r up is the way to go

ure dvd-r will play ure dvd,s just aswell as ure other dvd rom does,,basically its pretty much the same drive except it has write capabilitys tooo!

Thanks
    micovwar m8 i see you are in tha toon as well good man
    were do you buy your dvd-r media from online or from a local shop
    www.lastingimages.biz is my local cd-r shop never bought dvd-r s off him before but i know his cd-rs are nicely priced the
    websites sh*te much more stuff in the shop

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    hi

well i got my first spindle of infinitis from i guess those guys are pretty reasonable for prices,sometimes do deals on discs too

or i use a guy in the metrocentre called paul who owns maughan micros nexto where the old asda was he sells everythin from 1x upto 4x i usually get the 2x bulkpaq green label he sells them at about 80p a dvd

u copied anythin withit yet?

[Gordy] Link removed

Thanks
    lol it hasnt arrived yet got to wait till my cheque clears before the guy will send it

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    microvwar - could you remove that particular web address please as it is not allowed on these forums due to legal issues.

Thank you.

Best place to get DVDrs from is SVPcommunications or 121cdr.co.uk (mirror site) or bigpockets.co.uk
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    ummm,im sorry i wasnt aware ide done anythin wrong,can some 1 enlighten me?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by micovwar
    theres absolutely nothing wrong at all with downloading any type of media and burning to dvd for ure own purposes (its when u start sellin em 4 a fiver a shot that theyle come down onya) otherwise wot would be the purpose in buying 1!
    That is simply not true.

Any artistic work, be it video, photo, painting, music, literary work, etc is protected by copyright and copying it without the copyright-owners permission is illegal. Whether you stand a serious chance of getting caught and sued is another matter, and the likelihood is that you will not, but it IS illegal.

There are some statutory (by which, I mean legal exemptions contained in a statute), and copies of SOFTWARE that YOU OWN, for BACKUP purposes is one of them.

Otherwise, SOMEONE owns the copyright, and copying without permission is illegal.

To download (whether you burn to CD, DVD, etc or not) is illegal UNLESS the copyright owner has given permission, and even then, the permissions given can vary. For instance, streaming video for online viewing might be legal (assuming the copyright owner authorised the streaming), but archiving to permanent media might not.

The difference that occurs when you start selling it is that not only are you liable for civil legal acting for copyright infringement, but that you are committing a criminal offence too - and one that carries hefty fines and, if I remember correctly, up to 5 YEARS at Her Majesty's pleasure too.

Originally posted by Bindibadgi
    I dont know about music videos on the net, could be some problems in that but imo - if its broadcast, people record it anyway so nm.
    Technically, even that is not the case.

If it is broadcast (TV, radio, etc) then you are allowed to TIMESHIFT. This is one of those statutory exemptions I mentioned. It means you can record TEMPORARILY for the purpose of viewing at a later date. The ‘later date’ is generally regarded as being within two weeks or so.

So, recording Eastenders to watch later that night, or at the weekend, is legal. Archiving films for months or years is not. And as soon as you record to a permanent media, like DVD-R, you would also (technically) hit a problem.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Saracen
    So, recording Eastenders to watch later that night, or at the weekend, is legal. Archiving films for months or years is not. And as soon as you record to a permanent media, like DVD-R, you would also (technically) hit a problem.
    Ah! Could be onto -RW though

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Yeah, providing you're just time-shifting. It'd be viewed the same as using a VCR, i.e. OK for personal use and just for timeshifting - but this only applies to legitimately broadcast material, because the copyright-owner will have been recompensed for the broadcast, or otherwise given permission for the material to be used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information