Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first and most uber watercooled rig

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: My first and most uber watercooled rig

np, ta Syd. Im in South Africa, but the reason I was concerned about which shops is that If I order a few items from different shops then the shipping costs are much greater. So I want to try and get everything from dangerden (due to HD 5970 block). Also some shops have atrocious shipping costs, like frozencpu.com. I'm sure I might find something locally.

But basically the only advantage I see a res has over a properly set up T-line (with drainage and easy water level visibility) is that its easier to get rid of bubbles. I'm amining for a low maintanance setup (no additives) so I don't mind waiting an hour or two once a year with a T-line. I don't have a space problem, but do you think the myths about pressure and flow rate drops due to res's are just that, myths?

BTW: I already bought my chipset block from Chilled PC, shipping costs are good, so i'll consider it if I can't find it locally

P.S That res actually looks impressive from a 'first glance' point of view, looks like it could minimize any performance hit of a res, looks perfect...

Thanks
    • piggin23's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage IV
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930 @ 5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C9 2133MHz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 680 GTX's in Sli
      • PSU:
      • 1200W Corsair
      • Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

The design of the xspc res actually increases the performance of pump.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks
    • spac3d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M4N82 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • X4 940 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4GB - PC28400 800MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD AAKS 500GB + 120GB Corsair SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 600W CoolerMaster Silent Pro
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster ACTS840
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" U2410
      • Internet:
      • BeThere 20MB ADSL2+

Nice

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, so heres the final plan:

1: DDC 3.2 pump
    2: Black Delrin tree
    3: Bitspower Matt Black stop fitting
    4: CPU block
    5: PA120.1
    6: Chipset block
    7: GPU Block
    8: Swiftech MCR320
    9: Fillport
    10: Bitspower Silver shining Y (Joined to 11 with nipple)
    11: XSPC Laing DDC Top with Reservoir

So what you think? The T (No. 2) Is the drainage port (i'll just use a funnel or something) and it's not joined with a nipple to allow flexibility to drain more easily and to put it at a lower level to the pump. I might use a 45 bend from from the T to the CPU block if it's too tight a bend.

Thanks
    • piggin23's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage IV
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930 @ 5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 680 GTX's in Sli
      • PSU:
      • 1200W Corsair
      • Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

PH03NIX-ZA

I would not bother with the fillport if you are going to use the xspc top. The inbuilt res will handle your filling and bleeding needs.
    As for the total system, can you put the PA120.1 before the CPU to remove the heat from the pump.

Also have you considered adding another rad in the bottom of the case?

Registered+
    Thanks

If I put a RAD in the bottom of the case I would only have space where the second PSU would be. Then I'd have to make holes to the side panel.

As for the rad before the CPU, Sure, I can make it so. What about putting the MCR320 AFTER the pump and not before? I can do that too.

How much would I gain from another Rad at the bottom of the system?

The filport isnt there for bleeding, only filling, to make it easier. But What I can do is add the fillport later if I feel it usefull. So we can eliminate it for now...

Thanks
    • piggin23's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage IV
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930 @ 5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 680 GTX's in Sli
      • PSU:
      • 1200W Corsair
      • Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

Why do you need a second PSU?

As for an ideal layout.

Res/Pump - MCR320 - CPU - Chipset - PA120.1 - GPU - Res

As for rads, you don't need more you need bigger. The more area the more heat will be dissipated, the cooler the system.

As for filling the xspc top has a plug in the top that you remove, pop in a small funnel and fill.

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't need a second PSU, that's why theres space there

"Res/Pump - MCR320 - CPU - Chipset - PA120.1 - GPU - Res"

That's the sort of layout I was also considering.

I am a mechanical Engineering student so thermodynamics isnt alien to me, so I would be worried if the pa120.1 would be put imbetween the pump and CPU just to dissipate the heat from the pump, as Rads dissipate more (and work most efficiently) heat the greater the coolant temperature is (compared to the ambient), that is it's not a linear relationship; they work more efficiently with more heat entering them basically.

So that arrangment tends to maximize the heat to the rads. I only put the PA120.1 there because there would be a nice open spot there already waiting for a RAD. If there warent I wouldnt bother putting another rad in and be happy with the one I already have. So putting a rad at the bottom would require quite some modding, which I didnt want to do if I didnt realy need the RAD. I could fit 2x140mm fans there potentially, and if done right can recieve adequate ventilation despite the PSU and could help cool the HDD's, so it's worth considering for a future WC upgrade, but not now.

I'll order all that stuff then since I could already play with the sequence after the fact, and I've already got the fillport anyway, curtesy of petra'stech (not that I have to use it)
    Last edited by PH03NIX-ZA; 30-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I would honestly run it with the 360 only. Remember two things.

1) The heat around the loop is very close to equal.

You may think this is illogical but it has been proved to be true. The reason is simply that because the water goes round so fast, the whole loop ends up being roughly equalised at a temperature which reflects the ability of the rad to remove heat. So the water leaving the rad and entering the reservoir (coolest point) may be only a few degrees higher than entering the radiator (hottest point) so the radiator between the cpu and gpu may make the water a degree or so cooler than without it and that delta will have no effect on your overclock or your graphics card.

Try it without and then with if you must but I really doubt you need it.

2) The added restriction and tubing of the 120.1 rad may slow your flowrate enough to make the cooling efficiency of the overall loop worse.

Ultimately, water-cooling isn't that different from air-cooling. The more airflow through your heatsink, the better it performs. The more water through your block, the better it performs. So a clean loop with minimum bends and minimum length is more important than the order of the components (see 1).

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HaloJones View Post
    I would honestly run it with the 360 only. Remember two things.

1) The heat around the loop is very close to equal.
    I realy don't doubt that. The amout of heat energy you'll need to raise the temperature of that much water by even a degree is ALOT (in PC terms) so flow rate is more important as theres more heat capacity to heat in the same given period of time - to put it simply (but poorly worded )
    But on the flip side the radiator can only extract so much heat in that given period of time (and as I said, there is a non-linear relationship between heat dissipation and delta T, so it's not that simple), so what we're looking for is the right balance between flowrate and radiator surface area. I would love to plot a graph of that some day (and somehow factoring in block temps)

Try it without and then with if you must but I really doubt you need it.
    I don't NEED it, but I can't resist it That, naturally is good prudence, but I believe there will be a minor difference. I'll consider it.

2) The added restriction and tubing of the 120.1 rad may slow your flowrate enough to make the cooling efficiency of the overall loop worse.
    Ya, that was the first thing I was worried about, which is why I asked about adding another pump a while back - But I assumed the PA has very low restrictions (Do you know a rad with even lower?)
    so I wouldnt worry myself about it. And hey, I might actually improve the temps by about a half a degree

As for the rad before or after the pump, the new layout might add quite alot of piping and 45 bends, and they cost 10$ each at dangerden! There are cheaper though, I know but seriously, how much heat does the pump add to the system?
    Last edited by PH03NIX-ZA; 01-12-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Syd
    Thanks
    • Syd's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 760 Classified / X570S Tomahawk / gigabyte gaming 7 1150
      • CPU:
      • I7 920@3.8 / 5800X / 4790k
      • Memory:
      • 18GB Dominator DDR3 1600 / 32GB Crucial 3600 / 16GB GSill
      • Storage:
      • 980pro Nvme / Sam840's/ Sam SM951
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 690GTX on Water/ 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • AX860/1250w Seasonic
      • Case:
      • TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 30” 3090 + ASUS 27 144HZ 1440p IPS
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

Quote Originally Posted by PH03NIX-ZA View Post
    I realy don't doubt that. The amout of heat energy you'll need to raise the temperature of that much water by even a degree is ALOT (in PC terms) so flow rate is more important as theres more heat capacity to heat in the same given period of time - to put it simply (but poorly worded )
    But on the flip side the radiator can only extract so much heat in that given period of time (and as I said, there is a non-linear relationship between heat dissipation and delta T, so it's not that simple), so what we're looking for is the right balance between flowrate and radiator surface area. I would love to plot a graph of that some day (and somehow factoring in block temps)

I don't NEED it, but I can't resist it That, naturally is good prudence, but I believe there will be a minor difference. I'll consider it.

Ya, that was the first thing I was worried about, which is why I asked about adding another pump a while back - But I assumed the PA has very low restrictions (Do you know a rad with even lower?)
    so I wouldnt worry myself about it. And hey, I might actually improve the temps by about a half a degree

As for the rad before or after the pump, the new layout might add quite alot of piping and 45 bends, and they cost 10$ each at dangerden! There are cheaper though, I know but seriously, how much heat does the pump add to the system?
    I have looked at so many alternatives, but when I REALLY looked at it the loop order seems to make very little differnce, run with what suits your needs and whats neat

My very first watercooled PC project log

Registered+
    Thanks

Alright, thanks guys, last I heard from DangerDen they would be releasing the block at the latest today, and I can always play with the order after the fact, So I ll stick with the last config in the pic maybe with some altererations, like removing the fillport (I still like the look of it though and doesnt affect performance) and Y, but as for the order I want to make it neat...
    Last edited by PH03NIX-ZA; 02-12-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmm,
    Now I have some choice: the Koolance block https://www.koolance.com/water-cooli...product_id=947 or the dangerden block?

Is one better than the other?

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, ordered the koolance. Ordered stuff from multiple stores , So I expect everything by 15 December, after next week, expect an update then...

Thanks for your help guys!

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi guys!

Sorry for the Looooong reply
    these pictures will tell the story:
    (I dedicate this build to my father who passed away on the 19th of December last year)

(new, but before WC)

(at the end the CPU block inlet was in the middle)

Last edited by PH03NIX-ZA; 12-01-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information