Thread: Quick easy gaming PC/Laptop

Thanks

Quick easy gaming PC/Laptop

Hello again everyone,

My wife wants a nice computer for herself. She wants to play some games with me, running at high res with AA isn't necessary, so we don't need anything beastly. Something under £400 that will be ready to play Lord of the Rings Online (for example) within 24 hours after arriving would be ideal.

I have a monitor already that we can use if we get a PC... Although I think a laptop would be better for spacial purposes... don't really have room to hook up another pc and run cables, etc...

I was looking at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170254 for PC

And http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172314 for laptop...

I'd appreciate if anyone knows some good deals floating around and could point out what PC/Laptop they would choose if they wanted a reliable one for this price range which could play games at low graphics and not burn out or fail.

Thanks

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Quick easy gaming PC/Laptop

The PC you linked too has no OS! Also whether the PSU is any good is another question.

The PC in this thread should do the job:

http://forums.hexus.net/pre-built-pc...ml#post1816487

At least Mesh tend to use HEC for their PSUs who are better than the generic crap in many cheap PCs.

OTH,you maybe able to build a better PC for the price.

A laptop is not that good for gaming unless you are willing to get one at least with a Mobility HD4650 GDDR3.

£400 is a tiny budget for a laptop let alone capable of playing any recent games. The graphics cards are just too weak, An HD4850 will run almost all recent games including Crysis reasonably well.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks

The PC that you linked to is a beast of a system, has a 4870 so will chew through games but the price doesn't include an OS and the processor is a Phenom not a Phenom II (so not as good performance but will still play games no problem). For the same price we could spec you a decent gaming desktop that will be quieter and more reliable.

The laptop you linked will most likely not play LotR Online without stuttering since it has integrated graphics which is a no no when it comes to gaming.

Something with a discrete gpu such as these should be capable:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169125

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169124

But I would seriously recommend a gaming desktop at that price range because these laptops will struggle with all but the lowest detail settings.

Thanks
    • Haiku32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 16Mb

I like that Crysis is nearing it's third birthday, yet nothing has been able to surpass it graphically. And we still rate how good gaming computers are by their ability to play Crysis, haha.

Thanks

Yeah, I built my current PC, but I had never built one before and it was like an epic event for me, it turned out good, since it has been running smoothly for almost a year. But I ended up spending £2000 on it, getting a lot of stuff I probably didn't need and whatever, and I sometimes wonder if I put anything together wrong which could have made it faster if it were in the right place or something lol.

I could build another one but I don't know if I would have the energy to do it again right now.

Also, with a desktop, I worry where I should put it all, the way I have it set up now doesn't leave much room for a second desktop. Albeit I have a rather large desk, I also have a printer and my studies scattered across it.

Do you think I could save a lot of money by building my own as opposed to (for example) that Mesh you linked? That seems pretty cheap considering the specs.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    Yeah, I built my current PC, but I had never built one before and it was like an epic event for me, it turned out good, since it has been running smoothly for almost a year. But I ended up spending £2000 on it, getting a lot of stuff I probably didn't need and whatever, and I sometimes wonder if I put anything together wrong which could have made it faster if it were in the right place or something lol.

I could build another one but I don't know if I would have the energy to do it again right now.

Also, with a desktop, I worry where I should put it all, the way I have it set up now doesn't leave much room for a second desktop. Albeit I have a rather large desk, I also have a printer and my studies scattered across it.

Do you think I could save a lot of money by building my own as opposed to (for example) that Mesh you linked? That seems pretty cheap considering the specs.

Thanks for the replies
    Building you own computer would be mean you could tailor the budget better however the Mesh seems very good for the money though as copy of an OS is included. If you have not got the time then it is a very good spec for the price.

I would also fire off a quick e-mail to Ebuyer to check that the card is indeed the 1GB version of the HD4850.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    I think everyone has second thoughts; looks like a nice system to me though!

I'm jumping on the bandwagon; I don't think for £400 you'll find anything in the laptop market. Both systems linked look ok to me; someone may be able to spec something better.

Thread Information