• Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Suggestions for Freesat-capable card for W7 MC

I am pretty sure that they will be as I was part of the trial quite a while ago and I am pretty sure it was MPEG4 over DVB-T2.

I still have the pre-release box but there isn't a signal from my transponder anymore
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    DVB-T2 not 2T!!!! sorry, it's been bugging me
    Apologises I was in MUST GOOGLE THIS AND FIND OUT MORE BECAUSE IT AFFECTS MY BOTTOM LINE mode... also known as the "Aww F***" moment. I will continue to call it T2 from now on.

Right, is there a possible that a driver / firmware update could provide T2 ability on some (not all, obviously) TV cards, or will I need to replace the TV cards?

DVB-T2 cards will also be able to tune to DVB-T sources, as only one analogue 'channel' will be used for HD in the UK. I believe there is a lot more frequency space in Oz and NZ for HS over DVB-T.
    That is likely right, but in saying that, there is a lot of crap on television over here. PriceDropTV to name one. If these channels were dropped you would have the spectrum as well!

There are problems because driver standards are not very well defined. For example the MS BDA driver model (for digital TV cards) has no provision for all the functions DVB-S cards are capable of (controlling motors, stitches, CAM and CI modules, etc.) probably because MCE never supported these features. This means manufacturers have added their own extensions and software needs to be written to support it specifically (or the manufacturer can supply a patch for MCE to make it work with their card).
    I understand all this, but MCE in 7 covers most of the common issues. Issues I have noted is that you can't use a dual tuner hybird card in hybird mode. It must be Analog or Digital.

I don't know how many channels were involved in the previsou Crystal Palace trials, but I would guess less than the 4 they are proposing to be rolled out nationally. Squeezing 4 HD channels into the space of an old analogue channel is only really possible with the added bandwidth given by DVB-T2 this is why they have gone this route.
    It was all 4 channels as I understand it. But that is anadotiatal.

Anyway it's better to go that way now than introduce two Freeview HD channels on DVB-T then decide they need to change to DVB-T2 in a couple of years to get another couple of channels. This may be what happens in other countries. The BBC and the UK will already be using a newer generation platform.
    Makes sense, althrough it is annoying. Couldn't they put one "sample" HD channel up? it'd be a good way to show people why they should upgrade to DVB-T2 equipement.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    Okay, it turns out after further googling the issue that the one guy had with HD content via his 4000i was actually related to the recent change in bitrate via the BBC for BBC-HD, and ATi graphics card Windows 7 drivers.
    Yep, that one's causing all kinds of problems. Took me days to find a solution. Getting TV cards to work correctly is a pain at the best of times, and when you get it all running okay then the broadcasters go and mess everything up again.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Apologises I was in MUST GOOGLE THIS AND FIND OUT MORE BECAUSE IT AFFECTS MY BOTTOM LINE mode... also known as the "Aww F***" moment. I will continue to call it T2 from now on.
    Heehee no worries. Things like that just annoy me

Right, is there a possible that a driver / firmware update could provide T2 ability on some (not all, obviously) TV cards, or will I need to replace the TV cards?
    I'm not sure. The tuner is the same as it is the same frequencies as DVB-T, the demodulator would need to be changed though. I know a lot of digital cards are partially software based (something which has caused the Linux DTV driver guys a ton of head ache) and need firmware sent to them by the driver to function. Whether this can be modified to enable DVB-T2 I have no idea. Although that may explain the apparent lack of hardware development. If there is a software fix for some cards (definitely not all) this would be a massive boon.

That is likely right, but in saying that, there is a lot of crap on television over here. PriceDropTV to name one. If these channels were dropped you would have the spectrum as well!
    But they are ovbiously commercially successful, or they wouldn't exist.

Makes sense, althrough it is annoying. Couldn't they put one "sample" HD channel up? it'd be a good way to show people why they should upgrade to DVB-T2 equipement.
    There isn't any space! the DTV platform is tight enough as it is, without trying to shoe horn even a single HD stream in there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrBombcrater View Post
    Yep, that one's causing all kinds of problems. Took me days to find a solution. Getting TV cards to work correctly is a pain at the best of times, and when you get it all running okay then the broadcasters go and mess everything up again.
    Ya wouldn't have experience with a TV card conflicting with a sound card. This is my current nightmare issue. On my HTPC the same card is all find and dandy, but on my primary rig, it just hates me. I've moved it to a cooler slot, I've fixed the drivers, I've fixed the inital signal issue, but now, it crashes when I try and change the channel. And by the sounds of it the OP is having the same issue. THANK YOU ASUS XONAR!
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

I am not our father.

Thanks

I'm not sure. The tuner is the same as it is the same frequencies as DVB-T, the demodulator would need to be changed though. I know a lot of digital cards are partially software based (something which has caused the Linux DTV driver guys a ton of head ache) and need firmware sent to them by the driver to function. Whether this can be modified to enable DVB-T2 I have no idea. Although that may explain the apparent lack of hardware development. If there is a software fix for some cards (definitely not all) this would be a massive boon.
    *Prays*
    But they are ovbiously commercially successful, or they wouldn't exist.
    True, but they're explorative and just plain annoying. Every tired to watch anything past 11 p.m. at night, even with a full Sky subscription there is nothing on. PriceDropTV isn't that bad, but some of these things are just downright scams. A wolf in sheeps clothing...

There isn't any space! the DTV platform is tight enough as it is, without trying to shoe horn even a single HD stream in there.
    There would be space once they free up the orignal analogue spectum... but oh wait, aren't they selling those?

I am not our father.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

There would be space once they free up the orignal analogue spectum... but oh wait, aren't they selling those?
    Didn't you say something about the license fee being out dated? Someone has to pay for the new equipment for HD

Thanks

Ya wouldn't have experience with a TV card conflicting with a sound card. This is my current nightmare issue. On my HTPC the same card is all find and dandy, but on my primary rig, it just hates me. I've moved it to a cooler slot, I've fixed the drivers, I've fixed the inital signal issue, but now, it crashes when I try and change the channel. And by the sounds of it the OP is having the same issue. THANK YOU ASUS XONAR!
    All I can say is that my cards (KWorld DVB-S100 and Xonar DS) work perfectly together. Not much help, sorry!

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre

Actually now I think about it I don't think I was having the same issue; I was getting bad reception on Dave and the refusal to re-sync to ITV/C4/Five while I was running the machine with the onboard sound. Sorry!

While I appreciate there's probably a wealth of information in the posts since my own last one, I'm even more confused now so can I reiterate my original question - is there a dual-tuner (or single tuner card that will work ok with two of them in one PC) that will let me get what I would do from a Freesat HD box on my PC with Win7 MC?

Cheers
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    • crazyfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 6400 2 x 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2232BW

Hauppauge Nova HD S2

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool View Post
    Hauppauge Nova HD S2
    Thanks. Can you confirm if it works well in Windows 7 x64? The reason I ask is because I've had hassles with my Hauppauge HVR-1300 which I think are driver-related.

Can you also confirm that two of these will work fine Sky+ style?
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    • crazyfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 6400 2 x 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM-690
      • Operating System:
      • XP, Vista, Windows 7 & Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2232BW

Sorry mate, can't confirm because I don't own one. This seems to be the one most people are using for freesat on mediaportal though so I guess it works good with 7MC. Besides it isn't a very old card so if there are driver related issues they're more then likely to be fixed soon. Don't forget 7 only came out 20 odd days ago, officially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Thanks. Can you confirm if it works well in Windows 7 x64? The reason I ask is because I've had hassles with my Hauppauge HVR-1300 which I think are driver-related.

Can you also confirm that two of these will work fine Sky+ style?
    I do not know if the card will perform okay as in drivers because I do not own one, but I can confirm that they will work Sky+ still. But as pointed out, the £100 one I linked above will also achieve the same functionality, INCLUDING HD content, and the only problem it will have is access to Sky channels which are encoded in DVB-S2, which doesn't matter anyway as those channels are also encrypted!

It will also cost you £60 less, and only use one PCI slot, when compared to the Nova.

Please also note I am trying to see if I resolve the issue through various means, if I do find a way to fix it I will of course inform you.

I am not our father.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi did any one find out about a DVB-T2 card for the pc ?

thanks

sc00terx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information