Thread: temps

Thanks

temps

Hi all,

New to the web site found it very usefull, good skills all round. I've just started to try overclocking following the stickyed guide. Only thing i'm worried about is my cpu temp. I'm using core temp,tat and asus pc probe to monitor. Tat shows 40 idle, load 50, core temp shows 37 idle, 51 load and asus shows 46 idle 63 load. I'm runing E6600 at 3.1ghz over clocked. Can any one give me any info on how these programs measure the cpu temp and which one would be best to trust. Also intel recomend a 60C max for cpu temp. I thought 65 wouldn't affect long term reliability too much, is this sensible. Any advice is greaty recieved as i'm pretty new to the overclocking world.
    Cheers
    Shrapers

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: temps

Quote Originally Posted by shrapers View Post
    Hi all,

New to the web site found it very usefull, good skills all round. I've just started to try overclocking following the stickyed guide. Only thing i'm worried about is my cpu temp. I'm using core temp,tat and asus pc probe to monitor. Tat shows 40 idle, load 50, core temp shows 37 idle, 51 load and asus shows 46 idle 63 load. I'm runing E6600 at 3.1ghz over clocked. Can any one give me any info on how these programs measure the cpu temp and which one would be best to trust. Also intel recomend a 60C max for cpu temp. I thought 65 wouldn't affect long term reliability too much, is this sensible. Any advice is greaty recieved as i'm pretty new to the overclocking world.
    Cheers
    Shrapers
    Try a few different ones and find the average between them. I ted to run HWmonitor, Core temp and RealTemp. They all report similar reuslts usually within 1c of each other. Also are you using the stock Intel fan? If your overclocking a 3rd party one is highly recommended as the intel one, for the lack of a better word, is shat.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

thanks for the quick reply Terbinator, I did some research into cooling and got a scythe kabuto. It's getting much better results than the stock intel I had before. I will go with the average as that seems like the most sensible route. Do you have any advice on how safe intel were playing when they published recomended temps?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

thanks for the quick reply Terbinator, I did some research into cooling and got a scythe kabuto. It's getting much better results than the stock intel I had before. I will go with the average as that seems like the most sensible route. Do you have any advice on how safe intel were playing when they published recomended temps?
    Personally, i aimed for 70c and under with my Core 2 Duo/Quad. I'd also say if you need more than 1.4v to reach a desired clockspeed its not really worth it - you should be able to hit relatively high clocks with less than 1.4v. Although not to worry you, my Core 2 Duo (E6550) used ot idle at around 29c and hit 70c at most when i had it clocked to 3.33Ghz using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

I tend to use CoreTemp and compare with RealTemp at most and they tend to be similar so I suck with them. At 63 load it might be a bad in the long term I think as it's a 65nm processor. With my E5300 I find that it's safe under 70 degrees as it's a 45nm processor. I'd suggest you get a new cooler too.

However, I've heard that CoreTemp is better than Asus as it measures the inside of the CPU instead of the outside (not sure if this is true as it seems the outside is hotter than the inside for you which doesn't make sense) so with 51 load temp it'd definitely be ok.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... and asus shows 46 idle 63 load. ...
    I've always been a little suspicious of Asus PC Probe, to be honest - it seems to use different sensors to other monitoring software

To start with I'd recommend using as many different programs as work with your mobo and you can be bothered to install, monitor them all simultaneously, work out which are most likely to be correct (e.g. if you have 4 programs and 3 show the same temps, then they're probably right!). Then, pick whichever of the "right" programs you like best, and just use that one. What you're aiming for isn't necessarily a particular temperature, but to find a temp you're comfortable with and keep it stable. One program is plenty to tell you if your PC is suddenly running hotter than usual!

Also be aware that some programs might use different sensors to report the temperatures: I believe most CPUs have internal temp sensors, but motherboards also have CPU temp sensors somewhere near the socket? Anyway, what one program reports as CPU temp might come from a different sensor (I think, I could be talking rubbish...!)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Depending on what you're graphics card is, (ie if it's a high end in the series and will produce a lot of heat) I'd also consider running furmark at the same time as whatever you're using to stress the cpu
    The additional heat from the graphics card can push cpu temps up a few degrees as well in my experience.

Personally I'd not want to push it much past 60c although the cpu will rarely be pushed as hard as a stress test pushes it or constantly for the length of time a stress test can push it.

Thanks
    • Infinite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Agility 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 650W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ09B-W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • Infinity

I have my E6600 at 3.6GHz atm. Idles at around 40 then under 55 under load. CPUZ is telling me it is at 1.46V, lol.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking pc probe is probably the one thats throwing me out a bit so i'll stick with tat or core temp and try to keep my temps under 60.... ish. I'm only runing a 9800 gt and have run some zotac benchmarking software as well. Temps were much the same as when I was stressing the cpu using orthos.

Thanks again

Shrapers

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

If Intel publish a tmax of 60C, then I wouldn't exceed it, especially if you are already stressing it by over powering it. (This is from an engineering perspective, rather than experience overclocking).

Apart from the risk of long term damage, the CPU may start throttling back, so you will lose any advantage.

As for the sensor reporting - that is hard because you have no known standard to compare the measurements with. Personally I'd be inclined to put the most trust in the software that ships with the mobo. Otherwise assume the worst case for safety. Provided you are operating at under tmax, the absolute temperature doesn't really matter, although obviously the lower the better in terms of component life.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Running my e5200 at 3.33ghz with 1.264v in CPUZ.
    Temps hit 70c under Intel Burn Test but under real load (eg folding with BOINC) stay at about 55c.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Also be aware that some programs might use different sensors to report the temperatures: I believe most CPUs have internal temp sensors, but motherboards also have CPU temp sensors somewhere near the socket? Anyway, what one program reports as CPU temp might come from a different sensor (I think, I could be talking rubbish...!)
    I go with the scary man, the ASUS temp is probably from the motherboard sensor and not actually the cpu's sensor.

Thread Information