Thread: Velociraptor worth it?

Thanks

Velociraptor worth it?

I'm building a music making rig and was wondering if it's worth splashing out on a velociraptor HD. I may be recording up to 36 tracks of hi-def audio and need a fast HD.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Velociraptor worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by papayoyo View Post
    I'm building a music making rig and was wondering if it's worth splashing out on a velociraptor HD. I may be recording up to 36 tracks of hi-def audio and need a fast HD.
    I've used 2 x 'Raptors in RAID the past on a gaming rig and whilst the performance gain was blinding, I feel personally using them for audio (HD or otherwise) is overkill.

For example, I use my PS3 (in the living room) to stream HD movies via my server in the garage without any performance/stuttering issues at all.

The server is a fairly modest machine, with an Athlon 64 running WinXP with standard SATA2 hard drives.

HTH.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

If you're recording with Mic's you may wish to consider that 'raptors are significantly louder than standard HDDs, so may not be ideal.

SSDs seem to be the way forward for this kind of usage.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Generally not any more. If price is a concern then a high platter density drive is better value. If price isn't a concern then SSDs give much better performance.

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

+1 for SSD. Velociraptors aren't that much faster than the high density, large volume drives now and are noisy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GheeTsar View Post
    Velociraptors aren't that much faster than the high density, large volume drives now and are noisy.
    Velociraptors are quieter than the 150gb Raptors, which in turn are far, far quieter than the old 76gb Raptors, which were quieter than the 36gb ones. Even in a quiet environment they're not at all bad. Unless you've got the mic next to the case, I doubt they'd be picked up at all.

SSDs generally aren't anything special when it comes to sequential transfers. They shine at random transfers, which is why they're great for the OS. When it comes to uncompressed video and audio, the mechanical drive is generally still the choice, and especially so in a RAID array.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    SSDs generally aren't anything special when it comes to sequential transfers. They shine at random transfers, which is why they're great for the OS. When it comes to uncompressed video and audio, the mechanical drive is generally still the choice, and especially so in a RAID array.
    I disagree. An Indilinx or Intel based SSD has a sequential (2MB) read of 241-262MB/s. A WD VelociRaptor manages 121MB/s, with the Seagate Momemtus clocking only 78MB/s (figures taken from Anandtech's review). That's measuring the SSD's in a used state as well.

For sequential writes the VelociRaptor maintains 120MB/s with the Indilinx ranging from 136-190MB/s. Once you look at random reads and writes SSD's completely destroy the performance of mechanical drives. RAID? Have you seen the RAID test on YouTube? SSD's in RAID make mechanical drives look like floppy disks. Remember, SSD's don't suffer from fragmentation issues and with TRIM, the new versus used performance degradation is arguably insignificant.

A mechanical drive is better than a SSD in one main area only, price or bang for buck. If you do any kind of multitasking then the (much) faster random read/write from SSD's will be VERY noticeable. So it all comes down to whether the additional performance offered by a SSD is worth it for the OP.

Thanks
    • Syllopsium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • D975XBX2
      • CPU:
      • Q6700
      • Memory:
      • 8GB ECC DDR2 667
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX and 7600GT - four monitors
      • PSU:
      • 600W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64, OpenBSD
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 IBM C220p 22" CRT, one 17" VP730 TFT, one Zalman Trimon 19" 3D monitor
      • Internet:
      • 12Mb Be Internet

I'd recommend looking at a decent 1TB hard drive first. In most cases they'll have a minimum transfer rate sufficient for your purposes.

What transfer rate do you need?

PK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    I disagree. An Indilinx or Intel based SSD has a sequential (2MB) read of 241-262MB/s. A WD VelociRaptor manages 121MB/s, with the Seagate Momemtus clocking only 78MB/s (figures taken from Anandtech's review). That's measuring the SSD's in a used state as well.

For sequential writes the VelociRaptor maintains 120MB/s with the Indilinx ranging from 136-190MB/s.
    While it might indicate the trend, a 2MB file represents zero use to any media producer.

RAID? Have you seen the RAID test on YouTube? SSD's in RAID make mechanical drives look like floppy disks.
    You mean that one with something like 26 SSDs? Yeah, because mechanical drives wouldn't speed up with 26 HDDs in RAID0.

A mechanical drive is better than a SSD in one main area only, price or bang for buck. If you do any kind of multitasking then the (much) faster random read/write from SSD's will be VERY noticeable. So it all comes down to whether the additional performance offered by a SSD is worth it for the OP.
    Which is where the original poster clearly needs a bit of assistance, as he was asking if the Velociraptor was worth the extra. A 300gb VR costs £160. A Vertex Turbo, which isn't the fastest for sequential transfers, is £450 for less than half the capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I love SSDs, and they generally are faster for everything, but when it comes to large uncompressed media, then they offer relatively little benefit while being something like 8 or 9 times more expensive than a Velociraptor. Whether the Velociraptor itself is worth it is another matter, and largely depends on how long you're waiting for the hard drive.

Thanks

Thanks for all the fascinating info. From what I gather then, SSDs are the future for random access intensive applications like OS's and will soon make anything else obsolete performance-wise. For sequential read/write applications such as audio recording it would seem that regular mechanical drives still provide enough speed and vast amounts of space at the best price. Looks like the raptors are somewhat surplus to anyone's requirements. Thanks again.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

While it might indicate the trend, a 2MB file represents zero use to any media producer.
    A 2MB sequential write in this scenario is a test of "large" block writes. The figure is fairly indicative of 2MB or 300MB writes. It's not just a single "2MB write".

You mean that one with something like 26 SSDs? Yeah, because mechanical drives wouldn't speed up with 26 HDDs in RAID0.
    Yeah, that one . Sure, mechanicals will get faster too but still won't be competitive (ignoring price and storage maximums).

Rereading the OP's requirements I would agree that unless he had vast amounts of cash to spend/blow then a mechanical HDD set up in RAID would suit his needs.

Thanks

A 2MB sequential write in this scenario is a test of "large" block writes. The figure is fairly indicative of 2MB or 300MB writes. It's not just a single "2MB write".
    Yes, I realised it was repeated thanks.

Given the nature of that test, wouldn't cache would play a role in it?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Which is where the original poster clearly needs a bit of assistance, as he was asking if the Velociraptor was worth the extra. A 300gb VR costs £160. A Vertex Turbo, which isn't the fastest for sequential transfers, is £450 for less than half the capacity.
    Sorry, but that's not the best example to pick - a Vertex Turbo is severely overpriced. If we're talking about a competitor, how about the Intel G2, £340 for just over half the capacity of the Velociraptor.

It's a much more reasonable comparison - we're talking twice the price for half the capacity then, which in certain circumstances might be the correct decision.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Yes, I realised it was repeated thanks.

Given the nature of that test, wouldn't cache would play a role in it?
    Sorry for stating the obvious . For a sustained read or write the cache on the SSD and mechanical HDD would become saturated over time and thus plateau any measurements. The numbers I quoted were averages I believe, so spikes have probably been taken into account. In theory a heavily fragmented HDD would perform worse as would a relatively full SDD with TRIM status pending.

EDIT: Removed a line that didn't make much sense.
    Last edited by Bugbait; 25-11-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Sorry, but that's not the best example to pick - a Vertex Turbo is severely overpriced. If we're talking about a competitor, how about the Intel G2, £340 for just over half the capacity of the Velociraptor.

It's a much more reasonable comparison - we're talking twice the price for half the capacity then, which in certain circumstances might be the correct decision.
    The G2 is slower than a Velociraptor at sequential writes. I picked the Vertex Turbo as it seemed fairly even in both reads and writes without being at the top of the class (in that test, the Vertex EX is top (other than the Intel X25e 64gb drive)).

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

I'm a little late to the thread on this one, but reading all the posts, i'm with this_is_gav on this one.
    I may be recording up to 36 tracks of hi-def audio
    I dont know enough about professional audio recording any more, so can you tell me - I assume this is to create a master? So we're not compressing to CD standards, for example?
    Even so, the data rate from what i recall is going to be less than for example video encoding (in real time), which is a few megbits per second.

36 tracks - unless you are wanting to record 36 tracks simultaneously (are you?) then any modern hard drive is fine, even 2.5" 'laptop' type drives.

Probably a good rule of thumb however, as was always the case in the past, is have one drive for your OS, and a second drive to record your data, just to prevent any mis-haps. We used to recommend the second drive going on a seperate IDE channel, however SATA connections are all individual, so you're quite safe there.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thread Information