Thread: Comment on new build?

Registered+
    Thanks

Comment on new build?

Hi all, I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to comment on a system I plan on putting together. Max spend is £700 ish and I'd much appreciate any comments. I read a bit but I'm certainly no expert but would appreciate comments!

I'm not particularly a hard core gamer. I play Football Manger and maybe a bit of Left for Dead/MW2 and the like from times to time but even then the graphical quality isn't particularly important to me. Speed is the key here so any changes you could suggest to make it faster would be particularly welcome.

Here's what I've got so far

i7 860 Lynnfield
    Gigabite GA-P55A-UD3
    4GB Corsair XMS DDR 1600
    896 Asus GTX260
    1TB Hitachi Deskstar (The MB is 6GB sata but I've only seen one 6GB Sata HD which is a £220 2TB Samsung one! I don't know much about this but will more 6GB HDs be coming out... as I say I may have misunderstood the entire situation but there we are!)
    520 Cooler Master M520 Modular. I know how important a good PSU is but I don't know much about them. I'd be willing to spend a few pounds more on a particularly good one but it has to be modular.
    Coolermaster Gladiator 600 in Black.

Total spend £727.

Thanks very much!

Ash

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: Comment on new build?

As much as it pains me to say this - ditch the GTX 260 and go for a 4870 (if you can find one) or a 4890, the 4890 is faster in a majority of titles and costs around the same.
    The SATA 3 (6Gbps) connection is wasted on standard hard drives and the only way your going to reach SATA 3 speeds is by RAID-ing a couple of SSD's.

Unless you really need 1TB i suggest going for a Samsung F3 500GB, or if you do need the space then the 1TB F3.

You could probably swap the PSU for a Corsair HX450W which should be adequate, this depends on which graphics card you eventually go with amongst other things however.

Also some prices would be nice on the items you've listed !!!
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

3. Received thanks from:

AshMcD (01-01-2010)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    As much as it pains me to say this - ditch the GTX 260 and go for a 4870 (if you can find one) or a 4890. The SATA 3/6Gbps connection si wasted on standard hard drives and the only way your going to reach SATA 3 speeds is by RAID-ing a couple of SSD's.

Unless you really need 1TB i suggest going for a Samsung F3 500GB, or if you do need the space then the 1TB F3.

You could probably swap the PSU for a Corsair HX450W which should be adequate, this depends on which graphics card you eventually go with amongst other things however.

Also some prices would be nice on the items you've listed !!!
    Thanks for the reply mate. I've not had an ATI card since I put a Radeon 9800 Pro in my first build! It pains me to think how much I paid for that card, although I've still got it .

I will check out those cards! Oh and sorry, I'll probably get it all from scan. I'm literally down the road and it's where I've always bought my bits from! Although if there are considerable savings to be made I might be willing to go elsewhere. I almost went to Aria last time but couldn't do it in the end!

I thought that about the Corsair one too... I've stuck it in.

I've seen lots of people saying the F3s are good so I've put the 500gb version in. Last time I did a build Deskstars were all the rage (if you weren't getting a raptor anyway).

Prices.

i7 860 Lynnfield - £226.97
    Gigabite GA-P55A-UD3 - £107.57
    4GB Corsair XMS DDR 1600 - £86.53
    896 Asus GTX260 - £127.48
    450w Corsair Mod - £56.36
    500g F3 - £37.56
    Gladiator 600 - £49.31

If I remember rightly, memory prices spike at Christmas (are they a bit high?) and the build isn't for a month ish. That plus Today Only will hopefully mean it's a little bit cheaper!

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

There are gigabyte motherboards and i7 860's on today only now. I recommend getting your memory from Overclockers as theyre RAM tends to be cheaper than Scan and they have more on brands offer - the G.skill Ripjaws seem to be a fan favourite round here.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

5770 might be a good choice too, it's comparable to being in the middle of GTX250 and 260 performance roughly but runs quiet and cooler. It also supports dx11 (although you don't have to worry about that atm but I guess if you'll be keeping this build for a long time it'll be a good idea to go for a dx11 card)

Those prices seem alright, memory is in line with most other memory modules right now.

Thread Information