Thread: Zalman Reserator

Thanks

Zalman Reserator

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/watercooling.php

Opinions? Can only find one review, plus someone on [H] forums who has one. Says it gets about 45c under full load at 2.2GHz which is about the same as SLK800/900 but totally silent, this was also with no other fans running in the PC.

Externally powered which is a little worrying (wouldn't want to forget to turn it on).

Downside, little pricey and it's on the large side.

David, *cough* get one for review

Thanks
    Nice piece of kit. Do they do it in pink?

Lateral thinking here but if I don't buy one of these I'll have £179 extra to spend on a next gen gfx card.

Ed^

Thanks
    The highest temps I have seen so far is 116F. This is on my P4 3Ghz @ 3.75 with 1.625-1.675. Last night I rerouted my tubing and added a chipset block. After running Prime95 for a little over an hour so far this morning my temps are 96F
    From [H] forums

That's what? About 40c?

Seems okay for a passive setup, but yeah, bit pricey.

Thanks
    Well I'm supposed to be getting one to review, but I doubt I ever will. David & Hexus, being the UK's beast reviewer will be above me in the list no doubt, lol.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Hmm, so if you get one, when *cough* it comes to selling, can I be first on your list?

Didn't notice that the price excluded VAT at quietpc.com. £210 inc VAT!!!

Thanks
    LOOKS like a nice piece of kit. Custom PC give it a good review in the May edition CPC Premium Grade or something!
    The pump has a relatively low optimum throughput only 300l/h which could be a problem. Being a passive radiator system it is even more dependant on ambient air temps than fan cooled radiators. Saying that there is no reason why passive rads cant work (my passive rad keeps the CPU to 2-4 deg c above room temp even under load).

From a colling point of view it is a rather strange design though. AS the name suggests it seems to be a combination between a reservoir and a radiator. As far as i can see there is no active circulation of water in the radiator ie it is just a large reservoir with fins on it. If this is true it would not be nearly as efficient as a conventional radiator where the water is pumped through a system of tubes which allows large surface areas and good turbulence. The reserator holds quite a lot of water so it would work for some time as a heat collector untill the all the water reached equilibrium. In other words the temps would be slightly lower untill all the water warmed up.

Thanks
    Looks to me like it contains a submersible pump ie not a passive circulation system. External power supply and 300l/h so it must have a pump. Very neat and tidy solution but a tad difficult to transport.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak
    Looks to me like it contains a submersible pump ie not a passive circulation system. External power supply and 300l/h so it must have a pump. Very neat and tidy solution but a tad difficult to transport.
    Sorry i did not mean it had no pump. I meant that the water is not circulated around the reservoir/radiator in tubes. In other words the water is pumped into the reservoir and then out again without out being forced to circulate.

Thanks
    It doesnt look like a good peice of kit. Points to consider:

Lots of ALU in it. It WILL have corrosion problems especially if upgraded with anything copper (there blocks are gold plated to reduce corrosion). Anodised blocks doesnt prevent corrosion it just slows it down a bit, any scratches in it or un even anpdising will corrode. Anti-cossion additives wont help that much either. better to just start with a system that wont have maintenance issues a few months on.

ALU is crap, The pump is weak, the waer doesnt spend long enough in the rad and has poor water-surface contact area. The only review shown so far HAD to have a fan on the radiator and the test reusults were WITH using the fan.

It will perform badly and not near as good as an SLK800 (esp when the heat load is increased to more than 50w). the only review I have seen is not really done properly and the test results are inaccurate.

What I suggest is a normal watercooling (not a stupid crappy performing kit) with a copper passive rad and everything else in contact with water either copper or brass or silver or plastic. Passive rads are not hard to make and im able to help/make them if anyones interested.

And it looks _ _ _ _ _
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 16-04-2004 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information