Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antec cases

Thanks

Antec cases

I'm looking at getting a new case in the not too distant future, and have been lookin at the Antec SLK 3700BQE, It has a 350 watt power supply with it also, and is apparently quiet. I cant seem to find any reviews on this case, so was wondering if any of you peeps know anything about it. Is it a good choice, 60 odd quid will get me this as I cant be arsed spendin loads
    Give us yer thoughts

Thanx in advance

Thanks
    I'll tell you on friday/saturday, putting a system together in one.

Thanks
    The Antec Sonata 380W (?) quiet case is very well built and very quiet. You will like the benefits of Antec's HDD mouting design (rubber washers screwed underneath ensure quiet, vibration-free, operation).

The one you have quoted looks pretty similar on first inspection, but I can only recommend the Sonata (have built 4 PC's with it now, including my own).

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Got to agree with BlackSheep; my own machine was recently recased in a Sonata, and it's absolutely lovely.

Registered+
    Thanks
    make sure you get a powerful enough PSU though! far too often overlooked and it will be needed
    Only the Dead have seen the end of War - Plato

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle
    make sure you get a powerful enough PSU though! far too often overlooked and it will be needed
    Well i'm currently using a Qtec 550 watt ( yeah I know they are a pile of steaming dog rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe ) running a 9800 pro, dvd burner, dvd rom, and a single 80 gig hdd and 3 80mm fans. It comes with a 350 watt smartpower psu and i've heard Antec are one of the best psu manus avaliable. Do you think the 350 watt will cut it? the other Case I had in mind was the Coolermaster Centurian, but I would be sticking my Qtec psu in it cos it doesnt come with a power supply. Like I said I really dont wanna be spending a lot of money on a case Thanx for the replies guys

[edit] I thought I could kill two birds with one stone buy getting a fairly cheap half decent case with a decent power supply thrown in
    Last edited by Skeps; 14-04-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    Just go for it this one good case .

Thanks
    Got to agree - damn nice cases and the Antec PSUs are good. Bear in mind that your 550W PSU provides about the same amount of power as a 400W from any other manufacturer.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    no the qtec 550w is equal to a 250-350w psu.

I was considering an antec sonata but after seing pics I decided the design was too crap

Thanks
    OK...just put a system together in this, and experience is mostly good.

The PSU provided is properly quiet - I seriously cannot hear it without putting my ear next to it - the 120mm fan provided not so quiet - and worse, you need to buy your own fitments to replace it at the back - the little plastic grommets for vibration reduction don't transfer from the antec fan, and you only get 4 full length screws, so you'll have to split them half front half back, as well as buying some nuts to secure a replacement...of course, if you're not as picky as me - just fit the antec one .

Another gripe is the lack of removable mobo tray - but its not too big a deal, the case is roomy and handily, the central ATX mounting hole has a mount already in it, topped with a sphere - which makes mobo installation much easier...just remember to take out the PSU before trying to get your heatsink on, or you'll only have a small amount of room to manouevre.

The hard disk mounting is an absolute dream -takes a bit of figuring out, but worth it, keeps the cables tidier too...rail system for the 5.25 bays also excellent, but not documented well enough for a spanner like me...figured it eventually though.

front USB ports are not the horrible single pin things, handily. Front door is a bit flimsy, but it's difficult to mind - this case looks good, (I'm tempted to say "oozes quality" here, but it's not quite *that* good) and it is very, very quiet - nigh on silent without a HSF/annoying Abit fan whining...even then it's the quietest of my three PCs.

Would definitely recommend, good buy for the price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt
    The PSU provided is properly quiet - I seriously cannot hear it without putting my ear next to it - the 120mm fan provided not so quiet
    Is yours under load when you listened to it? My BQE PSU is far from silent under load. Gotta agree with the fans though - need a fan controller or volt mod them (eg google "7v mod" or "5v mod").

I have both the SLK3700BQE and the Sonata and I've gotta say that the Sonata is much quieter than BQE. I bought the BQE after the Sonata after reading about it on SilentPCReview.com.

Another anoying thing is that with a 120mm intake fan running too fast (eg regular non-silent low-rpm running at 12v) it creates a really annoying whine when the front cover is on (bit with the slots).

The Sonata has one less 5.25" bay, so isn't quite so tall, but if you need the 4 bays get the BQE! However, I'd have rather bought a 2nd Sonata. Still, you live, you learn...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shredisn@tdead
    Is yours under load when you listened to it? My BQE PSU is far from silent under load. Gotta agree with the fans though - need a fan controller or volt mod them (eg google "7v mod" or "5v mod").

I have both the SLK3700BQE and the Sonata and I've gotta say that the Sonata is much quieter than BQE. I bought the BQE after the Sonata after reading about it on SilentPCReview.com.

Another anoying thing is that with a 120mm intake fan running too fast (eg regular non-silent low-rpm running at 12v) it creates a really annoying whine when the front cover is on (bit with the slots).

The Sonata has one less 5.25" bay, so isn't quite so tall, but if you need the 4 bays get the BQE! However, I'd have rather bought a 2nd Sonata. Still, you live, you learn...
    If it's louder under load I can't tell - my ears are pap though...

Thanks
    Cheers for all the replys you guys, I think i'm gonna go for it then, from what you guys are sayin it seems well worth it for the money

Thanks
    be aware that the sonata is much cheaper than it once was at ebuyer now!

Thanks
    Good cases. A mates got the BQE and loves it. I'm using the 660AMG which is nice and looks good but it's a little cramped, although I'm swapping to an Overture later this week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt
    be aware that the sonata is much cheaper than it once was at ebuyer now!
    Cheers for that info Byatt, might have to go for that model instead, I didnt realise it was that cheap I thought the Sonata was about 85-90 quid. It also comes with a better power supply. Cheers

Thread Information