• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo 24"
      • Internet:
      • The slowest broadband in the WORLD

Question Several questions...

Dear All,

I have a number of unrelated questions to ask and would appreciate some help.

1) My custom built desktop won't hibernate - when I click hibernate, it does all the right stuff but then when it turns off, it turns back on again straight away. Sleep works but I would like to hibernate as this would save power.

2) How do you save and exit on google chrome? Just want to keep the tabs I had open for the next time I start it up. Not really a pressing issue! but it would be really useful!

3) I want to connect my laptop (a Dell XPS m1330) to my desktop so that i can drag something from my desktop screen over to my laptop screen. Is there any way of doing this? I don't mean from my desktop user to my laptop user (although this would be fine), I mean just using the screen of the laptop as a second monitor. THis is so i can perhaps watch a movie on one screen and play a game on the other etc. and then when I've finished playing, drag the movie back over to the big screen to watch the rest. Avoids changing DVD from on to the other... If this is possible, which wire would I need for this?

Thank you very much - your tech help is much appreciated! (my knowledge is so small!)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Several questions...

Quote Originally Posted by $eamonk3y View Post
    3) I want to connect my laptop (a Dell XPS m1330) to my desktop so that i can drag something from my desktop screen over to my laptop screen. Is there any way of doing this? I don't mean from my desktop user to my laptop user (although this would be fine), I mean just using the screen of the laptop as a second monitor. THis is so i can perhaps watch a movie on one screen and play a game on the other etc. and then when I've finished playing, drag the movie back over to the big screen to watch the rest. Avoids changing DVD from on to the other... If this is possible, which wire would I need for this
    For that, I'd imagine you need a laptop with a video-in, which I don't own. There are probably some on the market, but I'm not aware of one off the top of my head. You could probably come up with some daft workaround, but it's not worth the hassle. You'd be better off using your PC as a server, connecting the two via crossover ethernet cable and then playing the video on the laptop that way.

As for the hibernation issue, I gather that a lot of people can't even get sleep to work properly so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sleep mode is very good for power consumption, or so I'm led to believe, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Thanks

1) My custom built desktop won't hibernate - when I click hibernate, it does all the right stuff but then when it turns off, it turns back on again straight away. Sleep works but I would like to hibernate as this would save power.
    Check none of your peripherals have "allow to wake computer" checked in device manager, if so. Remove the check mark.

I use sleep all the time and it works fine for me. You may just want to use sleep, as I haven't seen anything that hibernate vs sleep is better than one or the other.

2) How do you save and exit on google chrome? Just want to keep the tabs I had open for the next time I start it up. Not really a pressing issue! but it would be really useful!
    Doesn't the 'new tab' page keep a record of what was recently opened?...

3) I want to connect my laptop (a Dell XPS m1330) to my desktop so that i can drag something from my desktop screen over to my laptop screen. Is there any way of doing this? I don't mean from my desktop user to my laptop user (although this would be fine), I mean just using the screen of the laptop as a second monitor. THis is so i can perhaps watch a movie on one screen and play a game on the other etc. and then when I've finished playing, drag the movie back over to the big screen to watch the rest. Avoids changing DVD from on to the other... If this is possible, which wire would I need for this?
    Not too sure you can do this, I'll leave this one to someone who has tried that.

Thanks
    • kmac's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2 Samsung F3 500GB each
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD4770
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu 82+ 525W
      • Case:
      • Lain -Li PC-7FN Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M

Step 1: Click on the Tools button located on top right of the browser and select Options. Step 2: On the Basics tab of the Options just enable the Restore the pages that were open last option which is located at the top.That’s it!

Read more: http://www.techdreams.org/browsers/t...#ixzz0djixZsvA

5. Received thanks from:

watercooled (27-01-2010)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

3 - I doubt it, you could do it the other way around, plug the laptop out put into a 2nd input on your pc monitor so it becomes a 2nd monitor for the laptop.
    But I doubt your laptop has an input to access the screen from your pc.

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

I use sleep all the time and it works fine for me. You may just want to use sleep, as I haven't seen anything that hibernate vs sleep is better than one or the other.
    Hibernate saves the state to disk and turns off. In this state your PC has the same power requirement as if it was off, you can unplug it and then it will use no power.
    Sleep stores the state in RAM, the PSU is still active (one of mine still ran it's fans), and if you lose power it is the same as pulling the plug on a running system. It does however use quite little power, however PSUs are often very poor efficiency when delivering only a small amount of power.

As for number 3, I don't think you will be able to do exactly what you want. Synergy though can do something close. It would allow you to control the laptop using the mouse and keyboard of your PC, which may help you.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by pipTheGeek View Post
    Hibernate saves the state to disk and turns off. In this state your PC has the same power requirement as if it was off, you can unplug it and then it will use no power.
    Sleep stores the state in RAM, the PSU is still active (one of mine still ran it's fans), and if you lose power it is the same as pulling the plug on a running system. It does however use quite little power, however PSUs are often very poor efficiency when delivering only a small amount of power.
    Having said that, the spin-up period of power-on is also meant to be fairly power draining so it can be a close run thing.

For me, having the PC in sleep has similar activity to when it's off - no fans or noise at all.

Thread Information