Thread: My Q6600 OC 3.6 air 1.40v

Thanks

My Q6600 OC 3.6 air 1.40v

(EDIT, original post below in grey)

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and I'm happy to say that I'm the proud owner of a Maximus II Formula.

I'm pretty newb at overclocking but after reading a lot of info and asking some advice from Deton (thanks Deton for your help) then I managed to achieve a stable overclock of my CPU and of my RAM. I was failing the bootup/P95 trials for 3 days in a row, literally, of steady effort to get my CPU running at 3.6ghz... Well I finally tried some new settings because the 1.6v vcore failed, I don't think my chip can handle that with the current temperature it runs at, I'm not trying to break records, I'm looking for the most stabled highest clock I can get for daily usage, and I think I have found it.

I woke up this morning and after over 7 hours of Prime95 my CPU was capping at 60c @ 3.6ghz (9*400) with a voltage setting of 1.38750v under full load (<1.37 in windows).

CPU VID is 1.2875v

CPU PLL is stock (1.5)
    FSB Termination is 1.29 (.19 higher than stock)
    NB is stock (1.1)
    SB is stock (1.1 and 1.5)

My RAM's timings have been overclocked from their original 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-10 without the need for raising the voltage above the stock 1.8v

All is well thus far. NB temperatures are low enough that the top of my case is blowing out cool air, only some hot air comes from the back at load from my PSU and CPU, as that is the direction I have their fans blowing.

Temperatures in Bios (with ambient ~20c, average room temperature, case closed for daily usage):

CPU: 30c

NB: 44c

SB: 51c

MB: 29c

POWER: 40c

Here is my full Bios:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual

OC From CPU Level Up: Auto

Ratio CMOS Setting: 09.0

FSB Frequency: 400

CPU Clock Skew: Auto

NB Clock Skew: Auto

FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-801MHz

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: Auto

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

(1st Information: 4-4-4-10-3-52-6-3)

CAS# Latency: 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4

DRAM RAS# Activateto Precharge: 10

RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time: Auto

Write Recovery Time: Auto

Read to Precharge Time: Auto

(2nd Information: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6)

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): Auto

Write to Read Delay (S): Auto

WRITE to READ Delay (D): Auto

READ to READ Delay (S): Auto

READ to READ Delay (D): Auto

WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): Auto

WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): Auto

(3rd Information: 13-5-1-5-5)

WRITE to PRE Delay: Auto

READ to PRE Delay: Auto

PRE to PRE Delay: Auto

ALL PRE to ACT Delay: Auto

ALL PRE to REF Delay: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Read Training: Disabled

MEM. OC Charger: Enabled

Ai Clock Twister: Auto

Ai Transaction Booster: Auto

PCIE Frequency: 100

CPU Voltage: 1.38750

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 1.81325

North Bridge Voltage: 1.10

South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: Auto (1.50)

South Bridge 1.1 Voltage: Auto (1.12)

CPU GTL Reference (0): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (1): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (2): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (3): Auto

NB GTL Reference: Auto

DDR2 ChA Reference Voltage: Auto

DDR2 ChB Reference Voltage: Auto

North Bridge DDR Reference: Auto

CPU Configuration

C1E Support: Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Intel Virtualization Tech: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

If anyone notices anything in my Bios that can be changed to improve my Overclock/performance then please let me know! Keeping in mind that I'm only overclocking for daily usage, I don't have any dry ice under my desk!

Here is a screenshot of my Prime95, CPUZ, and CoreTemp:

http://yfrog.com/jooc36withdramocfinalj

Hello everyone,

Well I've moved into a new home and I've been tweaking my PC. I spent the past two days looking into overclocking (as I'm not very good at it!) and finally read a nice guide here and it was a bit helpful and landed me a stable 3.6ghz overclock.

9*400 = 3.6ghz OC, Q6600 (G0) on air cooling.

Here is a screenshot of my CPU-Z, Core Temp, and Prime95. The temp maxed out at 71c with prime95, but it was 69c for 90% of the time. 37-40c when idle according to Core Temp... and under 34c when idle according to Bios.

Also I would like to note my other temps in Bios and know whether they can be lowered or if they're at a safe idle temp:

NB 52c; SB 53c; MB 32c; PSU 45c

My voltages are as follows:

Vcore: 1.4v
    DRAM: 2.1v
    North Bridge 1.1 Voltage: 1.39v
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.78v
    South Bridge 1.1 Voltage: 1.124v
    South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: 1.501v
    FSB Termination Voltage: 1.045

I highlighted the numbers that concern me a little, and they turn red when viewed in Bios... I know that is Bios telling me warning obviously, but is it Bios just being conservative or is it really something I should change? My DRAM manufacturer (Corsair) has rated this ram to be 2.1v max and that is what I set it to... Should that be a problem? I tried getting 3.6ghz below vcore 1.4v but it wasn't happening unless I tweaked some other settings, and I really don't know enough to mess with other settings, so I stuck to these "basic" settings. CPU PLL, I still don't know what that does exactly but I raised it because it seems to help overclocking?

Also regarding my DRAM. It is default 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15... I clocked it to 800mhz 4-4-4-10... is this good and do you think it will be stable? I know it passed 9 hours of Prime95 but it would be nice to have some expert advice.

Does DRAM Frequency have to be lower in order for timings to be higher? Or is it better to make it 1066? I thought I read somewhere that you should lower the frequency when lowering the timings, but that still doesn't make sense to me.

So yeah, any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Robscure; 03-02-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks

Re: My Q6600 OC 3.6 air 1.40v

OCing can be a tricky thing. For example my Corsair DRAM volt is 2.1v, but my mobo overvolts by 0.08, so I've got it set to 2.02v.

And 1.4v for the CPU does seem way high to me.

But honestly, the real experts are over @ XS. Those guys helped me loads with my Q9450 OC.

Thanks

Okay I just lowered the voltages of DRAM and NB and CPu PLL...

Dram to the default 1.8v... CPU PLL to 1.56... and NB to 1.2v...

I ran a couple of short tests in prime95 and it worked fine, so hopefully this is stable. I really don't want to run another test right now and certainly not for over 12 hours. Maybe tonight while I sleep heh.

Still open to advice about these numbers. I'm wondering if I can get my DRAM to have lower timings and what exactly does the MHZ affect? Is it good/safe/normal to have high (1066) mhz AND low timings (4-4-4-4) ??

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    OCing can be a tricky thing. For example my Corsair DRAM volt is 2.1v, but my mobo overvolts by 0.08, so I've got it set to 2.02v.

And 1.4v for the CPU does seem way high to me.

But honestly, the real experts are over @ XS. Those guys helped me loads with my Q9450 OC.
    Thanks Singh.... Where is XS? sorry lol. Isn't that another forum group somewhere on Hexus?

And 1.4v for the CPU is low by OC standards. I've researched this a lot, most people struggle to get 3.6ghz with their Q6600 using 1.5v... It is rare for someone to have a chip good enough to get it under 1.4v, mine it spot on, I might be able to get it lower, and I'll try to of course, but right now this is pretty good for my first stability attempt.

Thanks again

Thanks
    • Madafwo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6TD Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Drive of some description
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560Ti 448 Core
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 40" TV
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb @ 8Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Robscure View Post
    Thanks Singh.... Where is XS? sorry lol. Isn't that another forum group somewhere on Hexus?

And 1.4v for the CPU is low by OC standards. I've researched this a lot, most people struggle to get 3.6ghz with their Q6600 using 1.5v... It is rare for someone to have a chip good enough to get it under 1.4v, mine it spot on, I might be able to get it lower, and I'll try to of course, but right now this is pretty good for my first stability attempt.

Thanks again
    I must be lucky then, mine was hitting it at 1.3625 in the BIOS and reporting a bit lower than that in windows.

The RAM voltage isn't a problem, DDR2 will run for an age at 2.1V, but if you can run it at 1066 with normal timings at 1.8 without any ill effects (check with this before going any further) then you should be ripe for some tweaking of the memory.

I would also advise using Intel Burn Test for stress testing. Find it a much more reliable test than Prime, and has the option of maxing out your RAM as well which is the true test of a system.

What CPU cooler are you using? My Q6600 was hitting 61 degrees on the cores with a ProlimaTech Megahalems when running at 3.6Ghz (I did get this down to 44 over christmas when I turned the heating off in my room and left the windows open while I went out ). As a rule of thumb I like to keep my temps close to the 60 mark, did me fine when I was clocking my Socket 939 3700+ and stuck with that as a target ever since.
    "I've heard there is a common problem with this item from forums" - If you read some forums they believe Elvis was abducted by aliens, doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madafwo View Post
    I must be lucky then, mine was hitting it at 1.3625 in the BIOS and reporting a bit lower than that in windows.

The RAM voltage isn't a problem, DDR2 will run for an age at 2.1V, but if you can run it at 1066 with normal timings at 1.8 without any ill effects (check with this before going any further) then you should be ripe for some tweaking of the memory.

I would also advise using Intel Burn Test for stress testing. Find it a much more reliable test than Prime, and has the option of maxing out your RAM as well which is the true test of a system.

What CPU cooler are you using? My Q6600 was hitting 61 degrees on the cores with a ProlimaTech Megahalems when running at 3.6Ghz (I did get this down to 44 over christmas when I turned the heating off in my room and left the windows open while I went out ). As a rule of thumb I like to keep my temps close to the 60 mark, did me fine when I was clocking my Socket 939 3700+ and stuck with that as a target ever since.

Noctua NH-U12P is my cooler, it is one of the best, quiet and effective.

My temps get high sometimes but they appear to sit at mid-30's while idle, while overclocked. Back in my old cold flat it was 17c when I started the pc and would stay idle at 20-22c.

I'm going to try running this below 1.4v but I don't know enough about overclocking to tweak all of the other settings, which are complicated and there are a lot of them with my Mobo.

Thanks

XS is XtremeSystems. They are a bunch of OCing nutters. Some mad clocks over there. They helped me OC my Q9450

And 1.4v for the CPU is low by OC standards. I've researched this a lot, most people struggle to get 3.6ghz with their Q6600 using 1.5v.
    Ah right, I didn't know that. In that case it is fairly good then

Quote Originally Posted by Madafwo View Post
    +1 on IBT. Much better at P95 for stress testing. Be warned though it will push your CPU to the temps wise. My Q9450 reached 71C once - scary! So have a proper cooling solution in place (ie not the stock Intel fan you get).

Thanks

XS is XtremeSystems. They are a bunch of OCing nutters. Some mad clocks over there. They helped me OC my Q9450

Ah right, I didn't know that. In that case it is fairly good then

+1 on IBT. Much better at P95 for stress testing. Be warned though it will push your CPU to the temps wise. My Q9450 reached 71C once - scary! So have a proper cooling solution in place (ie not the stock Intel fan you get).
    Yeah my cpu doesn't seem to handle less than 1.4v for 3.6ghz 9*400... It is at 60-65c on prime95.

I've been trying to run it with lower voltage but p95 keeps getting errors after 30 minutes so I've pumped it up to 1.39v and have to use a higher NB voltage as well.

I'll check out XS, thanks.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Yeah my cpu doesn't seem to handle less than 1.4v for 3.6ghz 9*400... It is at 60-65c on prime95.

I've been trying to run it with lower voltage but p95 keeps getting errors after 30 minutes so I've pumped it up to 1.39v and have to use a higher NB voltage as well.

I'll check out XS, thanks.
    60-65c is about the max for Q6600 so it could also be error-ing out due to high temps. I'm no expert on this though so don't quote me on it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ulti View Post
    60-65c is about the max for Q6600 so it could also be error-ing out due to high temps. I'm no expert on this though so don't quote me on it!
    Good point. Depending on which stepping he has the the limit changes...

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLACR = 71.0 °C (G0 Stepping)
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9UM = 62.2 °C (B3 Stepping)

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

From my experiencing OCing my Q6600 I tried to avoid going above/near 1.4v at all costs - I think I reached 3.6GHz stable with around 1.38v.
    I also hit a FSB wall between 3.6-3.8 so if you try going above 3.6 and aren't getting anywhere that may be something to consider, just try shooting for 3.8GHz instead.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

Good point. Depending on which stepping he has the the limit changes...

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLACR = 71.0 °C (G0 Stepping)
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9UM = 62.2 °C (B3 Stepping)
    Yeah I've got G0 stepping, it goes from 65c-70c after hours of P95 on 3.6ghz....

I don't know if I can get these temps any lower, like I said my knowledge of oc'ing is minimal at best.

I set CPU PLL and VTT to their stock voltages... Seems steady at the moment purely on air, inside the case, under my desk, for daily usage. I'm not trying to break records, just want a steady daily clock.

CPU vcore is 1.392v.... 9*400.... CPU VID is 1.2875v

2x2gb Corsair Dominator PC2-6400 clocked at 400mhz 1:1 ratio with FSB and timing set to 4-4-4-10.... I think the timing is pretty awesome, I tried lower but it wasn't happening, pc won't even boot up lower than that, and I don't know what I would need to adjust or how to get it lower anyways.

So I think I'll be sticking with this current tweak if the P95 continues running this way (successfully).

So I learned how to Overclock by reading forums and seeing what the terminology meant and what people aimed for... then 3 days in a row of trial and error... I have never shut-down, restarted, and powered up a PC so many consecutive times in my life lol.

Hopefully it is worth it, I'd like to notice a difference with it or it was all in vain! I suspect I will in Medieval 2 Total War for example.

Thanks

I woke up this morning and after over 7 hours of Prime95 my CPU was capping at 60c @ 3.6ghz (9*400) with a voltage setting of 1.38750v under full load (<1.37 in windows).

CPU VID is 1.2875v

CPU PLL is stock (1.5)
    FSB Termination is 1.29 (.19 higher than stock)
    NB is stock (1.1)
    SB is stock (1.1 and 1.5)

My RAM's timings have been overclocked from their original 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-10 without the need for raising the voltage above the stock 1.8v

All is well thus far. NB temperatures are low enough that the top of my case is blowing out cool air, only some hot air comes from the back at load from my PSU and CPU, as that is the direction I have their fans blowing.

Temperatures in Bios (with ambient ~20c, average room temperature, case closed for daily usage):

CPU: 30c

NB: 44c

SB: 51c

MB: 29c

POWER: 40c

Here is my full Bios:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual

OC From CPU Level Up: Auto

FSB Frequency: 400

CPU Clock Skew: Auto

NB Clock Skew: Auto

FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-801MHz

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: Auto

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

(1st Information: 4-4-4-10-3-52-6-3)

CAS# Latency: 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4

DRAM RAS# Activateto Precharge: 10

RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time: Auto

Write Recovery Time: Auto

Read to Precharge Time: Auto

(2nd Information: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6)

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): Auto

Write to Read Delay (S): Auto

WRITE to READ Delay (D): Auto

READ to READ Delay (S): Auto

READ to READ Delay (D): Auto

WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): Auto

WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): Auto

(3rd Information: 13-5-1-5-5)

WRITE to PRE Delay: Auto

READ to PRE Delay: Auto

PRE to PRE Delay: Auto

ALL PRE to ACT Delay: Auto

ALL PRE to REF Delay: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Read Training: Disabled

MEM. OC Charger: Enabled

Ai Clock Twister: Auto

Ai Transaction Booster: Auto

PCIE Frequency: 100

CPU Voltage: 1.38750

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 1.81325

North Bridge Voltage: 1.10

South Bridge 1.5 Voltage: Auto (1.50)

South Bridge 1.1 Voltage: Auto (1.12)

CPU GTL Reference (0): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (1): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (2): Auto

CPU GTL Reference (3): Auto

NB GTL Reference: Auto

DDR2 ChA Reference Voltage: Auto

DDR2 ChB Reference Voltage: Auto

North Bridge DDR Reference: Auto

CPU Configuration

C1E Support: Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Intel Virtualization Tech: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

If anyone notices anything in my Bios that can be changed to improve my Overclock/performance then please let me know! Keeping in mind that I'm only overclocking for daily usage, I don't have any dry ice under my desk!

Here is a screenshot of my Prime95, CPUZ, and CoreTemp:

http://yfrog.com/jooc36withdramocfinalj
    Last edited by Robscure; 03-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks

I woke up this morning and after over 7 hours of Prime95 my CPU was capping at 60c @ 3.6ghz (9*400) with a voltage setting of 1.38750v under full load.
    Good! Now get IBT on that sucker. See the temps hit the roof

Thanks

Good! Now get IBT on that sucker. See the temps hit the roof
    I don't think it will be necessary to use IBT, as I also do not think my CPU will ever reach such a high limit of stress.

I'm playing Crysis and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on ENTHUSIAST maxed settings and the frames are perfect with VSync on, which limits them to 60 FPS according to my monitor's 60HZ. The computer is staying quiet and cool, blowing out cool air, as if I'm not playing anything.

I'm impressed with this overclock

Thread Information