• Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

boot issue

Hello,
    see edit below.
    Last edited by lodore; 06-02-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks

Re: boot issue

Have you double-checked all cables are inserted properly? Also make sure cards/RAM etc are seated properly. It's most likely something that's been pulled out/knocked while you've been cleaning.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

new edit:

nope still doesnt boot.

spins up spins down spins up spins down until i unplug it.
    Last edited by lodore; 06-02-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

I phoned up the company i purchased the computer from explained everything i have tryed and they said motherboard dead.
    I eventually found out asus use a company called creative computing to do the rma for them and it will take 4-6 weeks. not sure i can be without my main computer for that long.
    Last edited by lodore; 08-02-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks

Just so you know it's best making a new post rather than editing one otherwise people subscribed to the thread won't know you've added something. How old is the motherboard? If it's still under warranty then I'm fairly sure you should be able to send it back to the retailer for replacement.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Just so you know it's best making a new post rather than editing one otherwise people subscribed to the thread won't know you've added something. How old is the motherboard? If it's still under warranty then I'm fairly sure you should be able to send it back to the retailer for replacement.
    Hello,
    the motherboard was purchased with the complete computer in december 2007. asus motherboards have 3 year warranty

i found a contact for asus and they said standard procedure is for the retailer to sort out the replacement and if the retailer isnt willing to corporate I would have to rma using the uk asus rma via creative computing.

I am currently trying to get the retailer to sort out the replacement. so far unsucessfully.

is anyone good at under standing warranty?? cyberpower limited 3 year warranty
    Last edited by lodore; 08-02-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Cyberpower only support motherboard for 1 year so gonna rma direct using creative computing.
    £21 isnt to bad

Thanks

Try and get Saracen's attention - he normally has the solution when it comes to stuff like this.
    Last edited by watercooled; 10-02-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Try and get Saracen's attention - he's normally has the solution when it comes to stuff like this.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would point out, though .... I'm not a lawyer. I'd also suggest I have opinions and comments that, sometimes, might be helpful, but "solutions" is pushing it a bit.

I'll give a view, from what I read though.

There are two aspects to this, and people don't always appreciate that they are totally separate. They overlap in options provided, but are separate routes.

1) Consumer legislation
    2) Warranty

On 2), you might get a warranty from a retailer, and/or you might get one from the manufacturer. If they offered one, and you knew of it when buying and relied on it is doing so, then it is now (and wasn't until a few years ago) legally enforceable. It becomes, effectively, a contract that you can take action on. However, like any contract, it has terms and you need to be aware of them and comply. So if it says you need to be able to produce a copy of the sales invoice (or other proof or purchase), then you ned to. If it says you have to ship to them at your cost, then you need to. And so on.

Perhaps most importantly, it covers what it says it covers and doesn't cover what it excludes. I stress this because irt often is a source of arguments. And the Cyberpower warranty linked to says
    This warranty does not cover damage due to external causes, including accident, abuse, misuse, problems with electrical power, acts of third parties, servicing not authorized by CyberPower, usage not in accordance with instructions accompanying the product(s), failure to perform required preventive maintenance, including but not limited to backups, and problems caused by use of software, parts and components not supplied by CyberPower. This warranty does not cover software, external devices; accessories or other parts added to a CyberPower system after the system is shipped from CyberPower; or accessories or parts that are not installed in the CyberPower factory.
    Where it can get awkward is where, after a period of time, something fails. FOr instance, why did a motherboard stop working?

If it's a fault with the motherboard, even down to something like a faulty capacitor that took a while to fail (and they often do), then it's covered (within the stipulated warranty period).

If it's dueto an external power problem, such as a mains spike, then it isn't covered.

And the way I read it, if they supplied the PC PSU and that failed and killed the board,m then it's covered unless it's been "tampered with", but you wouldn't be if you'd replaced the PSU yourself.

Where it gets awkward, of course, is where the consumer and the company providing the warranty disagree about what caused the failure. So, if you send it back, they check it and say "yup, mobo failed. Here's a replacement", then there isn't a problem. But suppose they say "indications are that the motherboard received a spike, apparently from the mains and that killed it, We aren't liable". Then you have an argument.

And, of course, they might be using that as an excuse, or they might really believe it, and they may or may not be right in that belief.

In any event, from a pragmatic perspective, returning under warranty is often the best course of action, but is no magic bullet and no guarantee that you'll get a repaired PC. It will, quite correctly, depend on the nature of the problem .... and on the attitude of the company. Some will repair/replace simply for customer goodwill, and I've been present in meetings on occasion in the past where that decision has been made, despite it being absolutely clear that no liability exists. In other words, you might get a goodwill gesture, but you sure can't rely on it or insist on it.

Now, back to 1) ... consumer legislation.

Essentially, we're talking about Sale of Goods Act. After all this time, the DSR is long gone. The SoGA effectively says you're entitled to expect he goods to be of "satisfactory quality", and if they aren't, then for a period of 6 years from delivery (England and Wales, Scotland is a bit different) you can take action if they aren't.

That doesn't mean goods have to last 6 years. You can't take a 5 year old apple back to Tesco and complain. Or rather, you can, and they probably would replace it, but it's that goodwill gesture if they do, not any legal right you have.

So what is "satisfactory quality"? Simply put, goods should be free from defects when you buy them. That includes that they should last a "reasonable" period. How long that is varies, and ultimately, only court can decide. There is NO fixed period. You would quite reasonably expect a car or a house to last longer than a banana or, probably, a shirt or pair of trousers which, in turn, should still last longer than the banana.

And if you use the SoGA, it's against the seller, not the manufacturer.

Under the SoGA, if you act very quickly, you are entitled to demand a full refund for faulty goods, but you do have to act quickly. At best, it's likely to be a month or so and for most goods, less than that. Only in exceptional circumstances would it be much longer than that.

After that, you're entitled to :-

- repair or replacement, at your choice subject to it being possible and not disproportionately expensive, or
    - refund, which may include a deduction for the use you've had from the product.

And the repair/replacement option should be within a "reasonable time", and "without significant inconvenience". As before, only a court can ultimately determine exactly what these mean. So in relation to the 4-6 weeks, it would be within their rights if they can convince a court it's a "reasonable" period. My view it's it's a bit long, but not grossly so. As for "without significant inconvenience", well, a lot depends of circumstance. It might normally be reasonable for a tailor to take a week or two to correct a fault in a suit, but if it's a wedding dress a few days before the wedding, then remanufacture taking three weeks would be inconvenient as hell.

My guess is that 4-6 weeks if you rely on the machine for your Uni work and you've got an important deadline might be unduly inconvenient, but a loan machine for the duration might remove the inconvenience. 6 weeks is less likely to be "significantly inconvenient" if the inconvenience is that you'll miss playing games.

Finally, the SOGA covers you for defects that existed when you bought the product. That includes not lasting a reasonable period, and it includes things that take time to show (like that dodgy capacitor), but doesn't include things that happened after that, like if the cause of failure was static shock because you'd been touching the motherboard, or a mains spike.

The crunch point is proving whether it existed at time of sale, and who has to prove it. For 6 months after purchase, the assumption is that the fault was "inherent", unless the seller can prove it was not. But after that, it switches, so now, you would have to prove that the fault was something inherent at time of sale, or the retailer isn't liable under the SoGA. That may well mean you getting, and paying for, an independent engineer's report. If it supports your view, it may well result in you winning small claims court claim, and if so, you should get the cost of the report reimbursed. BUt if the report were to conclude that the fault was not inherent, you would probably lose the case, and in addition to not getting the motherboard repaired, you'd lose the cost of the claim, and the cost of the report.

So in answer to your question of where you stand, you have two routes :-

- warranty claim.
    - SoGA.

Neither are cut and dried, because both depend on what went wrong. Your rights are generally stronger under the SoGA, but you might have more of a job proving your case IF the other party don't agree with you and decline to repair/replace.

And either way, if they agree and repair/replace, great. Job done. But if they don't, forcing the issue will ultimately mean being prepared to go to court, and that implies time, hassle and expense that you may not get back. So pragmatically, you have to a decide if it's worth it, either for the monetary cost, or or on principle.

Hopefully, it won't come to that, but you asked me (by PM) where you stand legally and, in my non-expert non-lawyer opinion lodore, that's where you stand. Sorry it couldn't be more clear-cut than that, but IMHO, it just isn't.

10. Received thanks from:

lodore (09-02-2010),watercooled (09-02-2010)

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Thanks alot Saracen,i will take my time to read through it.

Thread Information