Thread: New Build Problem

Registered+
    Thanks

New Build Problem

Hi all,

I've recently ordered the parts for a complete system as discussed on these here pages and all the goods arrived from ebuyer yesterday.

I've put all sorts of components into PC's in the past so I know all about being safe, being delicate/careful, earthing myself etc

Yet once everything was put together and I take a deep breath and hit the power, the processor fan and PSU fan spins VERY brielfy, I mean barely 1 rotation of power before it suddenly dies.

Naturally I was annoyed but had to try and pinpoint which component was causing the problem.

I unplugged everything and started from the beginning, even unscrewing the motherboard just in case any nasties were underneath and causing some kind of short-out. I also even removed the PSU and installed it in an old PC just to make sure the PSU is not faulty - it works fine so I can rule the PSU out.

I then ONLY plugged in the power to the motherboard (both 20-pin power and ATX power), plus the important chasis fan and CPU fan, 1 stick of RAM (I have 2 new sticks and neither work so I'm kinda ruling them out as a problem) and of course the CPU/heatsink is in. Also down the bottom of the board there are the small controllers for like PWR RESET, USB, LED+ LED- and all that shenanigans - they are all plugged in correctly as far as I know. (Sorry can't remember precisely as I'm currently at work)

So basically with even only the most barebone components plugged in the same problem persists - a tiny burst of power (the motherboard LED stays a solid green though) and then it dies.

So I'm thinking a motherboard or CPU failure as I cannot directly remove these and test these individually. But what can be wrong?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: New Build Problem

Thanks

Hi,

Couple of things come to mind. You mention you've plugged in the 20-pin power cable. All new ATX motherboards have the 24 pin ATX plug (plus the 4 or 8 pin 12V additional). Silly question, but some PSUs have a detachable 4-pin from the 20-pin to make them compatible with older motherboards - You have plugged the full 24-pins (plus 4 or 8 pin 12V plug) in? Probably just a typo in your original post I guess!

Secondly, as the fans spin briefly, we can rule out something as simple as a broken power button on your case! or can we...... Beyond that.....faulty motherboard??

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

This may be a dumb question however, did you use the spacer pillars when you installed the motherboard into the case, did you put pillars into every hole you could see or just the ones that tie in with the mounting holes on the motherboard? count the number of screws you have used connect the motherboard then open up the case on the reverse side and count the number of pillars some boards don't use a pillar location infront of the explansion slots.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Maverick,

Sorry that was a bit of a typo or, well, being at work I couldn't remember exactly the number - it is 24 indeed and that is plugged in snuggly.

I am currently thinking faulty motherboard and heres the clincher -

when I first installed the motherboard I just screwed it straight in to the corresponding holes. I ignored the bag of strange looking stand-offs. Apparently these are quite essential (can anyone confirm) and therefore without the standoffs I believe my board is shorting out against the metal case just when booting up and therefore it is instantly killed.

I hope I didn't do any long term damage to any of the components, but hopefully it is a simple case of installing the standoffs.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oolon View Post
    This may be a dumb question however, did you use the spacer pillars when you installed the motherboard into the case, did you put pillars into every hole you could see or just the ones that tie in with the mounting holes on the motherboard? count the number of screws you have used connect the motherboard then open up the case on the reverse side and count the number of pillars some boards don't use a pillar location infront of the explansion slots.
    I think this is what I kind of mean in the above post - you say spacer's but what I mean is:

Is that what you mean by spacers>?

Thanks
    • Azma123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X58 SLI LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-920 D0 @ 3,8GHz
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin DDR3 6GB extreme Performance XP3-16000 3x2048MB 2000Mhz. (9.10.9.24)
      • Storage:
      • 2x Western Digital Caviar 500GB S-ATA II Caviar Black 32MB cache 7200rpm @ Raid0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Powersupply HX 850W Modular and sleeved
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64 bit

Hmm had the same problem years ago, my problem where the Cpu, and when i got a new cpu the motherboard failed

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

yes, standoffs are *beyond* essential. Hopefully you won't have killed the motherboard, although I doubt you've done it any good When things are included with a piece of hardware they're normally important in some way!

Just a side point on the 20pin v. 24pin issue: most modern motherboards will still work with only a 20pin main power connector. I have the mATX version of the ASUS 785G EVO, and that's running fine with the 20pin connector from my (fairly old) PSU...

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

Quote Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Is that what you mean by spacers>?
    Indeed, that is what i meant, I had a friend that didn't use them when it helpfully put together a computer for me! the motherboard worked just fine for me after we worked out what the problem was! Even if they didn't short out you need them to get he expansion slots aligned.
    Last edited by oolon; 09-02-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oolon View Post
    Indeed, that is what i meant, I had a friend that didn't use them when it helpfully put together a computer for me!
    This may explain the mystery. Will be a while before I can try this out but I will report back!

Thread Information