Thread: Auto shutdown?

Registered+
    Thanks

Auto shutdown?

Hello again oh wise ones
    Having a bit of a problem..I dont know if its hardware or software so I've put it here if thats ok?

Background: Just put together an i7 2.66/EX58-UD3R/6GB corair XMS 1600/850w silentpro/win7 64bit build. I've always built PCs and left them running at stock in a kind of "if it aint broke" type thing but I've been wondering about OCing and delving into it.

Problem: I downloaded prime95 and speedfan...ran them but after a few minutes my PC just switched off?? This is just normal factory settings, no OCing whatsoever. Temps on speedfan never went above the low 50s....tried again same thing.
    Thought it might be something to do with win7 compatibility so downloaded the win7 OCCT and realtemp. Ran it and the same thing happened..temps were never above 53c on all 4 cores when the CPU was being hammered at 100%...
    No BSOD just the PC 'switches off' after a couple of minutes? It seems to me like its somekind of setting i.e: if cpu is getting hammered switch off after 2 minutes.
    I've looked in my MB manual and there are some settings that may suggest possible power downs if the cpu is being smacked around but to be honest I'm biosphobic so I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this with this motherboard before? Or maybe its a windows setting? I'm pretty sure the temps in my case are fine, I have a akasa s-flow on front, one on the heatsink and 3 exhausts out the back..cool air if coming out all the time (oh I have a thermaltake armour VA8000 case). Also using thermalrite chillfactor 2 applied correctly.
    My system 'should' be able to take a slap by prime95 and OCCT without any probs on stock frequencies...any help would be appreciated. I'd like to enter the merky world of overclocking but I'm falling at the first hurdle here.
    I am prepared to face my biosphobia if needed

P.S Forgot to put my idle temps are around 30c
    Last edited by AthruZ; 05-03-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Auto shutdown?

What about temperatures in other parts of the system - northbridge, ram, PSU etc?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks kalniel,
    Not sure where to find the NB temp but I've got as much temp info I could find...

first my bios is reading:
    system temperature: 30c
    CPU temperature: 27c
    MCH temperature: 40c

Here are readings from everest:

speedfan:

and realtemp:

here is my cpuz:

hope this is enough info...if not could you tell me how to detect the temps you spoke about thanks.

Thanks
    • s3ds's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PK5-WS
      • CPU:
      • E6850
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston
      • Storage:
      • 15k Seagate SAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Quadro
      • PSU:
      • 500W Enermax
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • XP SP3 or Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • TWIN 22" NEOVO
      • Internet:
      • o2 LLU

ia it this memory ?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle

ifso it seems to be 1.65v

• 6GB memory kit (3 x 2GB) for Triple Channel DDR3 Intel Core i7 processors
    • 1600MHz
    • Latency of 7-8-7-20 for maximum reliability and performance
    • XMS Heat Spreader
    • Limited Lifetime Warranty
    • Voltage: 1.65V
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Registered+
    Thanks

no its 6GB of these..

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/12GB-...-9-9-9-24-150V

Been doing a bit more searching and it might be my NB is overheating? Wouldn't have thought I needed a fan or heatsink on it but maybe I'm being naive? I haven't put a pc together for over 4 years.

edit: Just tried a test..rendered some raw mts video into 720p WMV. Kept an eye on speedfan especially temp3 as that is the highest idle at 46c..that temp never went above 47c, only ones that had flames next to them were core0 and core1 each hovering around high 40s and only went 'flame' as they tipped over 50c now and again..no other high temps, all ticks or arrows. CPU usage was between 70% and 80% at the highest.
    Roughly 2 minutes...yep my PC just went off again?? No BSOD, no warnings just off.
    I am totally lost??
    ideas...
    bad reading from monitor software and my northbridge is infact overheating?
    A setting in bios somewhere?
    A setting in windows 7 somewhere?
    A possible short somewhere?

ahem, another edit:
    Ran the same test with the side of the case off..though core0 and core1 temps went 'flame' there was no shutdown, suggests a NB overheat as the gigabyte heatsink is super toasty to the touch with the case off.
    Thats my first thought but......

While monitoring with my temps with realtemp I noticed that the section next to 'core i7 920' with the mhz and the 133x etc were going all over the place and constantly changing? Is that normal..I've only ever seen them static even on videos??
    Also a strange thing happened..I slightly moved my case to get a better look at the northbridge and my PC yet again switched off...this is not right at all and suggests a short to me.
    So it could be a combination of both?? overheating and a shorting situation? Any ideas no matter how crazy are welcomed.
    Last edited by AthruZ; 06-03-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by AthruZ View Post
    While monitoring with my temps with realtemp I noticed that the section next to 'core i7 920' with the mhz and the 133x etc were going all over the place and constantly changing? Is that normal..I've only ever seen them static even on videos??
    If you have power saving settings enabled then yes. The CPU will throttle up and down, and I'm guessing your motherboard might also have some power saving settings too. You could try disabling them just to test.

Also a strange thing happened..I slightly moved my case to get a better look at the northbridge and my PC yet again switched off...this is not right at all and suggests a short to me.
    So it could be a combination of both?? overheating and a shorting situation? Any ideas no matter how crazy are welcomed.
    Could have been a coincidence, but yup, could be a short as well. Are there any warnings in the widows admin logs?

Also try disabling as many peripheral things as possible that you don't need - USB, onboard ethernet etc. and see if that helps - if it does, gradually turn them on one by one to see which is the culprit - could be a driver upgrade to fix, or could be a flaky component.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi again kalniel...
    Funnily enough I have just finished doing what you said (plugging in peripherals etc).
    This is getting more confusing as it goes on....
    I stripped down the PC, removed the motherboard and discovered a back screw thingy I thought I'd removed on instalation. I was having probs with the motherboard booting on installation and thought it was the top left screw on the motherboard (pc booted when there was no screw in that hole?? yeah weird). Removed other back screw thingy I missed..put screws in (including top left), no power..took screw out and system booted up??.
    Got a blue screen after data pool saying system needs to recover from an error, it rebooted into safe mode and did a system restore back to 01/03/10.
    After reinstalling some programs I ran a video render test. Raw 1920x1080 mts file rendered into 1080p wmv.
    Cpu about 80%, CPU temps never above 60c, all other temps stable...rendered for 6 mins no errors, no switch offs??
    Hopefully the system is stable?
    Still think I need a good NB heatsink and fan though...I burn't my finger last night!!
    I'm also thinking of dumping this thermaltake VA8000 and getting a Coolermaster Cosmos S, it seems a much better case on the whole.
    I'm going to push my system a little bit and run occt and see where that takes me.
    Thankyou for the help guys

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Glad it looks like you've sorted it. That you managed to burn your finger on the MB heatsink is a GOOD thing! I mean, not for your finger, but it shows that the heatsink is working.

Registered+
    Thanks

Haha!! seriously that heatsink is toasty as hell!
    Think I will put a better one on..been having a look but cant seem to find much of a range in the UK and the popular ones are sold out!
    Not sure its 'sorted out' it might have been a lucky test lol.
    We shall see....

Thread Information