Thread: Can Matrix Raid have Raid 1 and JBOD partitions? Or 3 partitions?

Thanks

Can Matrix Raid have Raid 1 and JBOD partitions? Or 3 partitions?

Hi all

I understand about Intel Matrix Raid and having 2 drives act as more than one RAID array.

What I'm wondering is, if I had 2x 1TB Samsung F3 HDDs:

1) could I set them up in Intel Matrix Raid so that 200GB of each were paired as a Raid 1 Mirror array, and the other 800GB of each appear as two normal, separate, drives? (I don't think I'll need all the 1TB of files mirrored, but I am wondering about Mirroring my OS and Apps partition)

2) Can you have 3 different partitions? So if I can't do the above, can I have a Raid 1 over 200GB, another Raid 1 of 700GB, and then a Raid 0 over the remaining 100GB?

Cheers

DM

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Can Matrix Raid have Raid 1 and JBOD partitions? Or 3 partitions?

It isn't something I have used, however there is some information here, from which it appears that you cannot have independent partitions on the drives AND a RAIDed set of partitions on the same volume.

I suspect that is because the chipset regards the two disks as a common volume, and then sets up the RAID arrays on that common volume, rather than treating partitions on the drive as the volumes (as you can with software RAID solutions such as the Linux mdadm application.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

dancingmatt (11-03-2010)

Thanks

Re: Can Matrix Raid have Raid 1 and JBOD partitions? Or 3 partitions?

Thanks peterb, although I couldn't see where it said that on that link?

What I have just read here though, suggest that basically there's no options, it's just one of each of Raid 1 and Raid 0. But the Raid arrays are presented as drives to the OS, so they can be partitioned. So I might be able to do option 2), and have a big Raid 1 array which I partition, and a Raid 0 array on the end.

I also read on your link that so long as the Raid 1 array is the first volume, those files will be available if you break the array. Interesting.

I have a 1TB F3 now. Am torn at the moment between putting my Win 7 and Apps on a new 500GB drive, on this 1TB drive, or getting a 2nd 1TB drive and putting OS and Apps (mostly using Premiere Pro and After Effects but the whole Adobe Creative Suite 4) on a Raid 1 partition to speed up access. It's what happens to the rest of the space on the drives which I'm puzzling over.

Thread Information