Thread: abit av8 boot or not to boot that is the ?

Thanks

abit av8 boot or not to boot that is the ?

i have a problem with my pc, it will not boot.
    it is a new build with a few parts off my old pc
    i have an
    abit av8-3rd eye vrs 1.1 socket 939 brand new
    win xp sp2 on a maxtor 60gig diamond drive (existing)
    amd 64 3200 939 brand new
    sparkle nvidia 6600gt brand new
    2x 512 kingston pc3200 184 dimm ddr (existing)
    nec dvd-rw nd3500ag
    hiper psu 480w 32A+5v/ 18A+12v1 /16A 12v2/ 28A 3.3v

the problem i have is when i power up my pc the guru indicator 1st shows a number
    for half a second then shows
    when i switch the pc on from the front the display shows
    after about 6 seconds a flutter of beeps happen followed by a constant 2 tone set of beeps untill i power off the system.
    during this time i have no monitor switching on or change of any status with the monitor

i have swapped the psu for a known working 1
    purchased another amd 64 3200 s939 processor
    same problem with my other 4600ti working card
    had the board replaced as the other av8's guru display was not working correctly
    tried running the pc with only the processor, i 512 dimm, and grafix card connected and also swapped the 1 ddr stick for another.
    still no joy

please can any 1 help me?

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    - tried the ram in different slots?
    - tried reseating the graphics card (had a problem which took like 5 re-seatings a few months back.. just make sure its in reallly firmly)
    - made sure the motherboard isnt shorting on anything - the case/random screw etc
    - tried resetting the bios (jumper, or remove battery.. try both)

Thanks
    If the processor is a winchester then the av8 will only boot a winchester when its got the 15 bios or above on it.

RenaultSport Clio 172

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streetster
    - tried the ram in different slots?
    - tried reseating the graphics card (had a problem which took like 5 re-seatings a few months back.. just make sure its in reallly firmly)
    - made sure the motherboard isnt shorting on anything - the case/random screw etc
    - tried resetting the bios (jumper, or remove battery.. try both)
    checked all and double checked everything. cleared cmos every time i make a change.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh.01
    If the processor is a winchester then the av8 will only boot a winchester when its got the 15 bios or above on it.
    im not sure if its a winchester or a newcastle lost the spec of the cpu, any ideas as to how i can upgrade the bios if i cant boot? or any way of finding out what the bios is?

Thanks
    The two tone siren sound is indicating an overheating cpu. The alarm will sound at 75c and turn the pc off at 85c.
    I have just built two identical systems for a friend using the AV8 Turd Eye and 939 3000+. One ran sweet as a nut the other has been an enormous pain in the arris. If you pop over to the Abit Forums ( http://forum.abit-usa.com/ ) you will see that a lot of people have been having problems with the AV8 and the temperature sensors which are about as accurate as David Blunkett playing darts.
    My solution was to flash the Bios to the latest version which is 1.7 and to replace the heatsink with the stock AMD one (this I did just to eliminate any possible probs with the Thermaltake heatsink I had installed though it was fine on the other box). Even so the Turd Eye thingy still says the cpu is at 63c when playing HL2 though the heatsink is only warm to the touch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalefish
    The two tone siren sound is indicating an overheating cpu. The alarm will sound at 75c and turn the pc off at 85c.
    I have just built two identical systems for a friend using the AV8 Turd Eye and 939 3000+. One ran sweet as a nut the other has been an enormous pain in the arris. If you pop over to the Abit Forums ( http://forum.abit-usa.com/ ) you will see that a lot of people have been having problems with the AV8 and the temperature sensors which are about as accurate as David Blunkett playing darts.
    My solution was to flash the Bios to the latest version which is 1.7 and to replace the heatsink with the stock AMD one (this I did just to eliminate any possible probs with the Thermaltake heatsink I had installed though it was fine on the other box). Even so the Turd Eye thingy still says the cpu is at 63c when playing HL2 though the heatsink is only warm to the touch.
    thanx for the info i guess abit have a prob with the temp situ on thier boards as i had the same on a mates pc that needed a flash to keep his running for longer than 10 min.
    my only problem is that i cant flash my board until i can get it up and running.
    i guess i will just have to return it again and purchace a different board, unless that is some cleaver person out there knows of a way round it!!!!

Thanks
    You could try and contact Abit Europe for a replacement Bios chip or find some kind person with a Newcastle and pop it in until you are able to flash the Bios.
    The AV8 does need the 1.5 Bios to be able to run a 939 processor.

Thanks

abit av8 poooooo

ok 1st of all thank for all who have posted help.

i am pleased to inform you all that i have solved my av8 unable to flash problem

i have returned it and i now have a msi neo2 7025....... no messing put it in power it up and away we go.

i have now lost any faith in abit as 3 whole days of browsing abit forums i have found it is a common problem and has been there for some time on a fair few board. mainly temp problems.

once again thanx all who have tried

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    The only problem I've had with my Abit AV8 is the temperature sensor seems to be wrong, reporting up to 66C load but it's perfectly stable and the HSF doesn't feel that hot.
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks

Re: abit av8 siren sound error code 90

For all of those who spent days trying to fix the problem: changing power supplies, checking temperature sensors, reseating CPU, etc ,etc .. here is the SOLUTION:

Go to the CMOS jumpers: turn the power off. set them to reset 1-2, wait 15 secondes, move them back 2-3.

This is what STUPID ASUS does not tell you:

- if you have tried to add more memory, or messed up with memory configuration (or it got messed up somehow)
    CPU will run up to code 90, two-tone siren sound will start and it will stay there......

- you may think it is temperature or voltage warrning and will do all of the above ... not! It is that you need to reset your CMOS settings in order to recognize your memory.

I spent days .... read 100s of posts with similar problems, finally stumbled across this while reading ASUS manual which in the memory section, briefly mentioned that CMOS setting needs to be reset ....

Hope this posting (my first one) saves a lot of grief to a lot of people ...

P.S. Please do not post blabs and useless junk on these posts as it just distracts someone searching for usefull information. (I do not care what you think, what you bought etc .etc. - give me a solution if you can, if you can not - just shut up!)

Thanks

Re: abit av8 boot or not to boot that is the ?

reviving a 5 year old post about an (obsolete) abit with posting about an (equally obsolete) Asus ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks

read my P.S.

Thanks

& you don't think that posting about an Asus on an abit thread in an abit forum is useless junk?
    fyi this is what abit say about 90 http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/faq/f...20041104173208

Also, most people will assume that you will have tried anything recommended in the manual before posting on a forum looking for help.
    & just because something worked for your problem doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for someone else & vice versa - it's not unusual for different problems to present with the same initial symptoms.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks

ABIT AV8 - as I posted in the title ... sorry for mistakenly quoting ASUS. There is no ASUS AV8 they make A8V..
    Hope this post helps someone as I have not seen the answer nor solution and people went through a lot to pin-point it.
    I have seen a lot of blab from frustrated junkies and smart asses who have nothing of substance to offer and are clogging Google - so searching becomes difficult. Who cares what you think !!! Get lost ! Get life!

What is frustrating is that when searching for a technical post / solution one has to read a lot of blabs and "opionions" from guys who have no one that wants to listen to them. Go get youself a dog (as I do not think you will find a girlfriend), or go to the bar and pay drinks to people - you will find a lot of listeners. I could not care less what you think ... read the last sentence of my P.S.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vojin View Post
    what is is frustrating is that when searching for a technical post / solution one has to read a lot of blabs and "opionions" from guys
    & just possibly a lot more relevant experience than you have ...
    The 2 main causes of 90 on an AV8 are/were power related (it was a famously PSU sensitive mobo) & shipping with an incompatible BIOS just when AMD changed CPU architecture (people buying a combo of AV8 with the latest CPUs couldn't get it to boot & of course couldn't update to the latest compatible BIOS without an earlier CPU).

I could not care less what you think ... read the last sentence of my P.S.
    your P.S. just proves what a pillock you are.
    Last edited by BUFF; 15-03-2010 at 05:50 PM.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thread Information