Thread: Think i blew my mb :l

Thanks

Unhappy Think i blew my mb :l

Alo all

I recently bought a few upgrades to your advice, one of which was the Tagan 480 psu.
    Following the manual, i attached the earth rail to one of the screws holding the motherboard in
    However, when i turned the system on after installation, all was not merry. I think it shorted out my motherboard, as it smelt like it was on fire

Im not 100% sure about it being the motherboard or not, but thats where the smell seemed to be coming from, and the southbridge was too hot to touch within the few seconds the computer stays on.

Does anyone have any ideas, or a better place to attach the earth rail? (coolermaster 201b).

Prolly gonna hafta get a new mb now assuming it is dead :l

ty

Thanks
    The mobo will already be earthed by the screws to the mobo tray and also the 0v return, its not really nesassary as in mobos the voltage never goes higher than 24v except maybe the switching regulators for cpu...
    got a pic of the board? I think maybe you attached it to a live part, possibly rea;ted to the sb, shouldnt get that hot esp not that quick!
    The smell means probably dead board, you might be able to RMA it, doubt it though.
    Which screw did you attach it to, one near the sb I assume. It might be that the connector was too big and shorted some of the traces around it..
    If the mobo does work, espect that the sb is damaged and probably wont do what ever the function was that you shorted - if it was the onboard sounds output, sound = dead doubt youll be that lucky though.

Thanks

Unhappy

I attached it to the screw in the very top right corner of the board (if ur looking at it), dont have a pic unfortunately no :l
    I think the connector was as you say, maybe too big, and shorted out the sb. Ive taken it all out and looked, but not really any visible damage / burning etc..
    However, with the system stripped down - cpu ram and psu only, the problem still occurs, even with old psu.

It all points to the mb, but im just not 100%, and dont really want to buy another board and fry it aswell

Title Contender
    Thanks
    have you unearthed the screw and reset the cmos?

Thanks
    I have indeed, im kinda out of ideas

Thread Information