Thread: Media Center in another room? Extender? Xbox?

sp3n

Media Center in another room? Extender? Xbox?

Ok so I moved into a flat over the weekend from living in a double room in a shared house.

The problem is this: in my living room, I have my Home Cinema Setup (HDTV, PS3, Projector, Amplifier and Speakers) - and then in my bedroom I have my PC (vista with media center and media browser) with external HD-DVD drive.

How can I watch HD-DVDs and my media center content in my living room? I have heard there is a thing called a media extender? But I don't know what that really is... Or I could get an Xbox 360, which apparently has Media Center capabilities or something and then I could plug the HD-DVD drive straight into that? Or am I going to have to run a couple of cables (dvi and optical audio) from one room to another?

If anyone has a similar setup or can give some advice, I would appreciate it greatly

Thanks

Re: Media Center in another room? Extender? Xbox?

The best thing in my mind would be to build a HTPC, or by an Acer Revo to act as a media streamer, linking in nicely with your MediaBrowser library stored on the PC. If you didnt want to buy another HD-DVD drive, you could share your PCs drive over the network and play the DVDs from there via something like Total MediaTheatre in Media Centre.

The Xbox 360 is an offical Media Extender, literally extending your PCs media centre to wherever the 360 is attached to. You'd need another HD-DVD drive for this option and would have to consider transcoding any videos files due to codec issues on the 360.

sp3n

Cool, thanks for the reply.

As the xbox is an official extender, its sounding like I should probably go down that route!

Probably should have mentioned that the HD-DVD drive is the actual xbox360 addon. So if I was to get an xbox, I would plug it straight into that.

Thanks
    • Hawker1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar Tpower X58A / Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 950@4Ghz TRUE / i7 920@4Ghz H50-1
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Crucial Ballistix@1336mhz / 6GB Corsair XMS3@1528mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB G.Skill Falcon + 1.5TB + 2x400GB / Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD + 1.5TB + 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5850@825/1150 / 5870@900/1300
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 620W / Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 / Silverstone FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate / Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E248WFP 24" / Benq G2420HDBL 24"
      • Internet:
      • 10mb Virgin Cable / 24mb Talk Talk ADSL

Only thing I would say about that is that my 360 is loud as hell playing dvds etc. Its an original one so things may have changed (I would hope), but check it out before you invest in it.

Hawker
    Media Centre: C2D E5300@3.6Ghz : Gigabyte G31M-ES2L : 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR21066@1106mhz : Sapphire HD5450 : Haupaggue WinTV Nova-T 500 : Seasonic 380W : Corsair X32 32GB SSD : WD 250GB HDD : LG Blu-Ray/HDDVD ROM DVD-RW : Scythe Shuriken BIG Quiet : Lian-Li PC-C37 :
    WHS: Zotac 8200 M-ITX WIFI : AMD 4850e : 4GB G.Skill DDR21000 : 6x2TB : Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet LP : Fractal Design Mini Array R2 :
    Laptop: Packard Bell EasyNote BG45-U-300 : 12" : Dual Core T2390 1.87Ghz : 2GB DDR2800 : Corsair X32 32GB SSD : Intel GMA X3100 :

Thanks

You could maybe track down a cheap HD-DVD player I guess. Not sure how available there at the moment, but it could well be cheaper than a 360, and likely will be quieter.

Or you could get a very long HDMI cable to hook up your PC to the AVR, and a decent remote, like a Gyration one, and control Windows from your living room - depending on the flat set up of course.

Thanks

I never considered the 360 myself, simply beacuse it a closed box with no scope for upgrades, expanded use and restricted codecs.

The noise also put me off, but not sure what the newer units are like. For me personally, only a HTPC will do.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    The noise also put me off, but not sure what the newer units are like. For me personally, only a HTPC will do.
    What noise?

When used in extender mode the optical drive doesn't spin up at all unless in use with a DVD and in my 'jasper' xbox 360 the noise generated when in use is comparable to my compro NMT-1000W media player.

In regards to the orginal poster, I would recommend getting a media player that supports more codecs and file formats such as something like the popcorn C200 players and stick a HDD/optical drive into it as these support so much more than the xbox does and that is why I have the compro unit so that I can play various formats the 360 doesn't do.

However, according to various sources, MKV playback with the 360 in extender mode should be now be supported but my 360 is still not networked so it's not something I've tried .... yet!
    Last edited by Lee H; 24-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks

Whilst i agree you mostly Lee, if the OP wants to watch their HD-DVDs, the NMTs won't help there.

Other than that, the Popcorn Hour NMT series or WD Live 2 have pretty good reps.

Thread Information